Had to put cat to sleep

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You never get over something like this, you get through it. Though the sadness and emptiness seems overwhelming right now, it DOES get better, it takes a long time to make a new life for yourself without her in it. No matter how many times you lose someone you love, it never gets easier, you can never prepare yourself for it. Even if you know it was coming. You were there for her and that is all she ever needed. At times like this I cling to the quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
I believe you were chosen to have her in your life for a while. She needed YOUR love and no one else's. She is at peace because of your love. I'm sure she thanks you for taking such good care of her, and for not letting her suffer.
She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, her love will always be a part of your soul.
Give yourself time to grieve, there are no short cuts. It takes lots of time to dull the sharp ache. One day you will think of her and know she lives on through your memories. You will feel the love and gratitude she still sends you. Your love is spiritual so eternal. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.....RIP precious angel. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you so much your words are so kind. I do believe we got her for a reason. I love that quote💗

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry for your loss. Losing them is always so hard on everyone, but when they're only 5 years old, it is just terrible. I lost 3 in 13 months time, but granted they were 13.5-15 years old. Never ever easy, and it always feels so unfair.

" I sometimes think we got her because God knew we would do all we could and love her."
~Author--You.
My best advice to you I can offer is taking a good hard look at your own words because IMO what you wrote is absolutely true. Some things in life are no accident. I keep most of my pets urns together in a quiet, safe place along with cute little things that remind me of them. Poems, little statues, or anything you have around your house that you feel "belongs" there. I lost my Tag in September, and I'm still adding little things around his urn that I feel belong there for now. It's like a little tribute to his devotion and love. Slowly but surely, it's becoming a cheerful sight.
If it feels right, I think it'd be cool to print out the words of yours I quoted above, and keep them with the urn. To me, it's true reason with the first steps of acceptance.
Hugs to you. :hugs:
Thank you so much for your kind words it means alot. I found myself looking through pictures of presley today and although I was very sad and crying at times I had a little smile remembering how sweet she was with me. I already thought of getting all her pictures printed out and put into a photo album so I can go back and look at them. The hardest thing right now is just looking at her things and the empty space.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Girl, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Just...allow yourself to grieve. Don't be afraid of it. Let it happen. It will take its own time, and its own shape, and is different for each person. And do NOT listen to anyone who says "It was just a cat." She was not "just" an anything. She was a beloved member of your family. Acknowledge that, and wait. We do not get over, we work through.

But this I know, she is not entirely gone, because love never dies, it only changes form, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. And from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you for your love and care, and she sends her own Love back to you to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Girl, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Just...allow yourself to grieve. Don't be afraid of it. Let it happen. It will take its own time, and its own shape, and is different for each person. And do NOT listen to anyone who says "It was just a cat." She was not "just" an anything. She was a beloved member of your family. Acknowledge that, and wait. We do not get over, we work through.

But this I know, she is not entirely gone, because love never dies, it only changes form, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. And from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you for your love and care, and she sends her own Love back to you to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yeah it's tough when people don't understand losing a pet and say things that are not helpful. It already happened. I woke up this morning at the time I would usually give presley her meds and feed her and realized she was gone. It's such as empty feeling. I literally have a ache in my chest and a lump in my throat. I put all her things in a room and shut the door because it hurts to even look at them. Later I plan to donate most of her stuff to paws and claws so some other kitties can get some help and enjoyment from her things. Right now it just hurts to much to even deal with it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words it means alot. I found myself looking through pictures of presley today and although I was very sad and crying at times I had a little smile remembering how sweet she was with me. I already thought of getting all her pictures printed out and put into a photo album so I can go back and look at them. The hardest thing right now is just looking at her things and the empty space.
The photo album sounds like a great idea, not only would it be something comforting and enjoyable to have, putting the album together could be very healing for you, too.
I made a scrap book for one of mine over the course of several months. I just kept adding little things to it, that project is 20 years done and I am so glad I have it. :)

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The photo album sounds like a great idea, not only would it be something comforting and enjoyable to have, putting the album together could be very healing for you, too.
I made a scrap book for one of mine over the course of several months. I just kept adding little things to it, that project is 20 years done and I am so glad I have it. :)
Yes I hope it will help. I was going through pictures today and some made me sad but others made me smile. I just think right now it's too fresh.

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to have our our sweet Lucy of almost 17 years put to sleep on 12/28. It has been incredibly hard. We have kids and I had the idea to get a little stuffed animal black cat for them. They have it sitting on her blanket where she used to lay and I know this may sound crazy but it has been oddly comforting to all of us. I still walk around the house and talk to her as if she is there. It has helped me cope.

Sleep has been awful. I have terrible nightmares that she needs me and I can't find her and someone suggested Holy Basil for the anxiety (and better sleep). It will be here tomorrow so I can report back on that.

We have to wait 2 weeks to get her remains back (I opted to let the vet handle it because I was so out of sorts) and I can't wait to have her back at home with us. My husband and I got her when we were 21 & 22 and neither of us know what to do without her. She had cancer so I was hands on with Palliative Care for the last few months so it feels even more empty...I feel like I failed her but I have to keep telling myself we did the best we could and gave her the best life!

Let the tears flow and feel everything. It's like a rollercoaster. It is a grief that I have never experienced before and I am so sorry you have to go through the same thing. :(

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had to have our our sweet Lucy of almost 17 years put to sleep on 12/28. It has been incredibly hard. We have kids and I had the idea to get a little stuffed animal black cat for them. They have it sitting on her blanket where she used to lay and I know this may sound crazy but it has been oddly comforting to all of us. I still walk around the house and talk to her as if she is there. It has helped me cope.

Sleep has been awful. I have terrible nightmares that she needs me and I can't find her and someone suggested Holy Basil for the anxiety (and better sleep). It will be here tomorrow so I can report back on that.

We have to wait 2 weeks to get her remains back (I opted to let the vet handle it because I was so out of sorts) and I can't wait to have her back at home with us. My husband and I got her when we were 21 & 22 and neither of us know what to do without her. She had cancer so I was hands on with Palliative Care for the last few months so it feels even more empty...I feel like I failed her but I have to keep telling myself we did the best we could and gave her the best life!

Let the tears flow and feel everything. It's like a rollercoaster. It is a grief that I have never experienced before and I am so sorry you have to go through the same thing. :(
I lost a little black cat 13 years ago, and to this day the same little black stuffed cat is sitting on his urn.
My last loss was also on palliative care, given by me, and that went on for months. That sudden free time on top of your loss can really mess with your schedule. :( I am sorry you're having so much trouble with nightmares and sleeping in general. Have you tried the Holy Basil? I've applied lavender oil to an old t-shirt and slept with that, the aroma is so soothing.
I have found picking the remains up to be emotional, but things start to feel better after they are back home. I have a little grouping of urns, combined with cute little things that remind me of them and that really makes it feel cheerful despite the grief. :hugs:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Just posting that I had to put my cat down this morning. I'm not going to go into detail but she was suffering and it was time. I'm so sad and to come home and see all her stuff is devastating. Just wondering how to deal with this. I've been crying all morning. I know many of you have been through this and just wondering how your experiences were. Thank you
I am so sorry for your loss. The grief can be very painful and you just have to try and get through it somehow. Some people feel the best way is to get another fur baby soon after if they don’t have one.
Been through this so many times and it never gets any easier. Big hugs to you. You did the right thing to end her suffering.

Run free sweet baby and watch over your mom… from the bridge. 🐾🌈❤💕🐈

* I forgot to say that journaling helped me a lot to work through my grief. I started that after my beloved Byron passed away very tragically due to Dvm error where they pierced his spleen and then sent him home. It was the most traumatic thing.

I started writing a journal of letters addressed to Byron telling him about everything that had happened and how I felt about him and everything that was going on in my life. I haven’t done that for a long time now but it really helped me. And then when each of my kitties passed, away starting with Tess, I started having a funeral service where I would write and then read a long description of their wonderful life and things like that. We either had the burial after or now I do cremations and we had a ceremony with music too. For wizard we had a ceremony at the place where he was cremated which was beautiful. For Byron we had a beautiful ceremony in the garden and then he was buried in the garden next to Tess. For some reason I have not done the ceremony for Sybil or Angie my tortie / calico angel girlies… I don’t know why I guess it was just too painful. But I had them cremated and all of their ashes are with me. I had my two outdoor cats who passed away cremated and have their ashes as well.

146C8E24-D5DB-45C9-9BB9-69AE32717A01.jpeg
146C8E24-D5DB-45C9-9BB9-69AE32717A01.jpeg

Last edited: