Had to put cat to sleep

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Just posting that I had to put my cat down this morning. I'm not going to go into detail but she was suffering and it was time. I'm so sad and to come home and see all her stuff is devastating. Just wondering how to deal with this. I've been crying all morning. I know many of you have been through this and just wondering how your experiences were. Thank you

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. ๐Ÿ˜” We lost our two elderly german shepherds in 2022 and will be seeing the vet on Wednesday with our elderly siamese KiKi, knowing that quite possibly the visit will end in euthanasia. We adopted all three pretty close together in 2009, so it's like the end of an era.
We cope by allowing ourselves to wallow in our misery for a few days, doing the bare minimum of chores and other necessary tasks. We talk a lot about our lost friend during the one to two weeks we have to wait for their ashes to be available for pickup at the vet. Once we bring the ashes home, we put their dishes and toys away and go about getting on with life. Somehow "bringing them home again" helps with the healing.
Do you have other pets to help with your healing? We have a year old pup, adopted after we lost our first dog and a kitten adopted after we lost our second dog. Having the new friends to focus our love on has also helped, lots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. ๐Ÿ˜” We lost our two elderly german shepherds in 2022 and will be seeing the vet on Wednesday with our elderly siamese KiKi, knowing that quite possibly the visit will end in euthanasia. We adopted all three pretty close together in 2009, so it's like the end of an era.
We cope by allowing ourselves to wallow in our misery for a few days, doing the bare minimum of chores and other necessary tasks. We talk a lot about our lost friend during the one to two weeks we have to wait for their ashes to be available for pickup at the vet. Once we bring the ashes home, we put their dishes and toys away and go about getting on with life. Somehow "bringing them home again" helps with the healing.
Do you have other pets to help with your healing? We have a year old pup, adopted after we lost our first dog and a kitten adopted after we lost our second dog. Having the new friends to focus our love on has also helped, lots.
Thank you for responding. I didn't know I could cry so much but this all happened this morning. This is my first indoor pet and experience with putting a pet to sleep. Now that you say it I'm so glad we decided to do the personal cremation and engraved box with her name. I plan to get a nice picture of her to set beside it. No we don't have other pets. I couldn't even think about that now. My mother in law is elderly and has a five year old cat so if and when something happens we will take her as she has given my mil so much joy and deserves a good home. I'm so sorry about your kiki.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Everyone deals with grief differently there's no wrong or right way there's only your way. For me when we lost our boy Tik. I had another cat at home grieving, They were bonded kittens and Patches wellbeing distracted me from my own feelings, so it didn't hit me fully straight away. I found myself a couple of months down the line breaking down at my grown daughters house. Then realised I'd been the strong one for everyone else. Mornings were the hardest everytime I walked downstairs I expected to have him shout at me for breakfast. I didn't realise how much I loved that boy. Didn't think the pain would get better, but it does. You never forget but the pain gets easier and one day you'll find yourself smiling when you remember there crazy antics. :rbheart:

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Everyone deals with grief differently there's no wrong or right way there's only your way. For me when we lost our boy Tik. I had another cat at home grieving, They were bonded kittens and Patches wellbeing distracted me from my own feelings, so it didn't hit me fully straight away. I found myself a couple of months down the line breaking down at my grown daughters house. Then realised I'd been the strong one for everyone else. Mornings were the hardest everytime I walked downstairs I expected to have him shout at me for breakfast. I didn't realise how much I loved that boy. Didn't think the pain would get better, but it does. You never forget but the pain gets easier and one day you'll find yourself smiling when you remember there crazy antics. :rbheart:
Thank you. I already find myself closing doors that I'm used to closing or turning around expecting her to be there. She had the sweetest little meow and she adored me. She wasn't a big cuddle but I was the only one she would lay on. Yesterday she laid on me for about 30 minutes and zoned out purring. My husband just happened to get a picture of her. Little did I know it was the last one.
15207 (1).jpeg

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
๐Ÿ’”

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agree w/ Tik Catโ€™s Momโ€ฆthere is no set strategy when it comes to grief, it just unfolds. That is a warm, wonderful, last photo to have, even if you didnโ€™t know the future: I am sure she was as loved as a cat could possibly be. Time is your best friend.
Thank you. She was very lovedโค

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can never find the right words to say because its never enough. I'm so very sorry for your loss. We lost two cats and two dogs over a span of about 2 years and our house felt so empty. Found myself imagining that I saw them all over the place, it was hard. I just want to send you love and hugs and to tell you that it will get better. ๐Ÿ’”:hugs: ๐Ÿ™

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can never find the right words to say because its never enough. I'm so very sorry for your loss. We lost two cats and two dogs over a span of about 2 years and our house felt so empty. Found myself imagining that I saw them all over the place, it was hard. I just want to send you love and hugs and to tell you that it will get better. ๐Ÿ’”:hugs: ๐Ÿ™
Thank you! This was my first house pet and I never imagined I would get so attached. I do feel empty and sick to my stomach. She was almost 5 years old and had issues for 4 of those that we were giving meds for. I sometimes think we got her because God knew we would do all we could and love her.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! This was my first house pet and I never imagined I would get so attached. I do feel empty and sick to my stomach. She was almost 5 years old and had issues for 4 of those that we were giving meds for. I sometimes think we got her because God knew we would do all we could and love her.
No doubt in my mind! I will keep you in my prayers. Be comforted by that. :heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never get over something like this, you get through it. Though the sadness and emptiness seems overwhelming right now, it DOES get better, it takes a long time to make a new life for yourself without her in it. No matter how many times you lose someone you love, it never gets easier, you can never prepare yourself for it. Even if you know it was coming. You were there for her and that is all she ever needed. At times like this I cling to the quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
I believe you were chosen to have her in your life for a while. She needed YOUR love and no one else's. She is at peace because of your love. I'm sure she thanks you for taking such good care of her, and for not letting her suffer.
She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, her love will always be a part of your soul.
Give yourself time to grieve, there are no short cuts. It takes lots of time to dull the sharp ache. One day you will think of her and know she lives on through your memories. You will feel the love and gratitude she still sends you. Your love is spiritual so eternal. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.....RIP precious angel. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so so sorry for your loss. Losing them is always so hard on everyone, but when they're only 5 years old, it is just terrible. I lost 3 in 13 months time, but granted they were 13.5-15 years old. Never ever easy, and it always feels so unfair.

" I sometimes think we got her because God knew we would do all we could and love her."
~Author--You.
My best advice to you I can offer is taking a good hard look at your own words because IMO what you wrote is absolutely true. Some things in life are no accident. I keep most of my pets urns together in a quiet, safe place along with cute little things that remind me of them. Poems, little statues, or anything you have around your house that you feel "belongs" there. I lost my Tag in September, and I'm still adding little things around his urn that I feel belong there for now. It's like a little tribute to his devotion and love. Slowly but surely, it's becoming a cheerful sight.
If it feels right, I think it'd be cool to print out the words of yours I quoted above, and keep them with the urn. To me, it's true reason with the first steps of acceptance.
Hugs to you. :hugs: