Had a scare this morning

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning when I woke up, Kenai didn't have her nose in my face to greet me as I rolled out of bed. This is her customary greeting every morning when she hears us rattling around, and is usually quite enjoyable unless she has recently sampled the horse manure outside that I can't keep her out of.

So I called to her and she came at an awkward walk, very slowly and bumped into the wall instead of coming through the doorway.

I slid out of bed and sat on the floor and called her to me and she came to me but she looked off. I checked her every which way I could and I didn't see anything like a wound or an obvious injury. There was some heat off of her front shoulder, and he eye was a bit swollen underneath.

She turned around to leave and yelped, and bit her right shoulder, then walked a few spaces and yelped and bit her left shoulder. That was enough for me, one phone call and we were off the vet.

He examined her and discovered that she had a lot of pressure building behind her right eye, and her shoulders were indeed sore. He surmises that sometime in the night she got kicked by one of the horses! Now she has grown up with my guys and is in with them a lot and they are used to her. She doesn't chase livestock so I don't see how she could have gotten kicked, at least not intentionally.

She is on anti-inflammatory drugs as well as diarsanyl for nasty bad diarrhea. The worst part about it is when I got her home to give her her meds, just to open her mouth makes her yelp in pain.
I did manage to tuck the pills into small balls of cheese and give them to her, but this other stuff that looks like laxatone, you can forget it, all she does is yelp when I try to open her mouth. The stuff is in a plunger and you have to press it into her mouth in measured increments.

Now she is hiding in the shower where she retreats when she is upset, disturbed or scared. Please think good thoughts for this wonderful german shepherd dog. I feel so at a loss to help her out of this~

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor baby! Maybe one of the horses got startled and that's how Kenai got kicked... God, how that must have hurt.

In any case, I'm so sorry she was injured. I'm thinking of her and sending all the best wishes and good thoughts her way that she'll be back to herself soon.

PS- Hissy, is it possible her jaw was fractured and the vet missed that? I'm wondering why she's yelping each time you try to open her mouth.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, poor Kenai!
Good thing you took such quick action, MA, so she can be treated appropriately. I'm so sorry this has happened, she will definatly be in my prayers, and hugs to you, too. You give her such wonderful care and unlimited love! She'll feel better in no time at all. Please do keep us posted how she is feeing.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sending all of my positive thoughts to her. I pray she will come out of this with no problems.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww poor thing!!!!!! Hope she'll be ok!!!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor thing! I hope she feels better! Let us know how she does, okay?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a prayer for her quick recovery... My gigi (dog) send s a hug to since she also like horses

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well she is getting worse not better and keeps hiding in the shower. I just got off the phone with the vet, he wants her to be 24 hours on the medication and if no improvement I need to bring her back. Her third eyelid has crept over her left eye, and her face is swollen as well. This is a real puzzle because she is with us all the time. At night she has run of the house and the property and we are fenced all the way around so she can't get out in the front yard and into the road. I am really worried about her- and I just hope she will be okay.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will send lots of prayers... poor baby and poor mommy.. sending internet hugs

cjs233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about this, and can only imagine how worried you must be. I'm sending lots of good vibes your way.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Hissy, I just saw this now. I am sending lots of healing vibes Kenai's way...any chance there is a spider bite or a bite/puncture wound of some other sort? Or several things...as someone else posted, any chance her jaw is fractured?

I am so sorry

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kenai is getting warm wishes from us and we hope that all goes well.