Had A Little Scare Tonight

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question about my cat Felix. He was laying on my bed tonight, when he stretched out his neck and started making a horking sound, like he was trying to catch his breath or to cough something up. I actually had my Mom get me a rag to put under him, in case it was a hairball. He ran out to our garage and seems ok now.

I've never seen anything like it, so am concerned it might be asthma (I don't want to have to deal with another health issue). My Mom was concerned it might be worms (which is suppose is not impossible, but might be less likely). My question is what to watch for (I will make a vet appointment for him if it happens again)?

Also, my Dad picked Felix up by the scruff only this evening (he thinks it calms the cat and is what a mother cat would do - I told him not to do it, and advised that it scares/hurts the cat - I hope he understood). I found this on a website I looked - "Never pick up an adult cat by the scruff only, as it can do serious internal damage." Does this sound it could be related to a scruffing related injury, or am I overthinking things?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be allergies? My cats are having reactions to pollen this year. Oddly enough, some of them seem to be worse in the late evening/ early night.
I am no vet but I think that a scuffing injury would have caused coughing right away. You could as your vet or better yet, ask to send a video if it keeps happening.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is it probably was not a scruffing injury. However, we do not know if your dad did it properly or not. Regardless this act is usually discouraged and this article gives a good explanation why not to do it. Please have your dad read it also. Scruffing a Cat — Why You Shouldn't Do It and How to Restrain a Cat the Right Way | Catster

I understand why you would not want to deal with another health issue but it if it was only a one time occurrence and Felix is acting perfectly normal I wouldn't rush to any conclusions. If it happens continuously or he is showing other symptoms then definitely contact your vet.

If it was a hairball this Article about how to treat them may be helpful for you:
How To Treat - And Prevent - Hairballs In Cats

Best of luck, hopefully Felix will feel better and not have a repeat performance from last night. :crossfingers:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your dad is open to hearing it (and repeats the scruffing), tell him that because adult cats weigh SO much more than kittens he -->absolutely<-- needs to support Felix's body weight under his bum/back legs and not allow all that weight to hang from the scruffed neck area.

Additionally, your dad might be interested in MusicForCats . Com, which is another way to calm kitties :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you're talking about. Onsa does it. Her little tongue sticks out, she does this squeak/honk sound and looks like she's coughing something up. It's just allergies, I think.
Just gently pat or rub your cats back until it passes.
Your kitty probably just got something in his throat. (like dust)

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Ruby did this a while ago. He's allergic to many things and I've been giving him allergy injections plus medicine for symptoms for a long time.

When I mentioned this symptom, he was x rayed and diagnosed with his lungs having inflammation that could be asthma. The dermatologist thought it could be allergy induced asthma as at the time his allergies were pretty bad.
I didn't follow through on the daily pills for asthma as he's very difficult to catch and medicate daily. Pills are impossible. Catching him two or three times a week for the allergy meds and every two weeks for the injections is tough enough.
I recently had him vaccinated and he had a physical exam and the vet said his lungs sounded healthy so I'm hoping the asthma is gone now that the allergies are better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for your replies. I haven't seen any repeats, so I'm hoping it was indeed a one off. I also think I convinced my Dad cats shouldn't be picked up by the scruff. I'm glad, because he's already shy around my parents, and I don't want him to get worse.

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, just an update. I haven't noticed any more episodes. I have noticed though, that Felix will sneeze periodically. Usually, when I stir him up after he's been sleeping. Only once or twice, and then he's fine. He does not have a drippy nose or seem to be in any respiratory distress. It's something that's been an issue for several months, at least, so not new. I am wondering about on underlying respiratory condition though, as I never had any of my other cats sneeze at all. Does that sound like something that bears keeping an eye on or would it be something he needs to see a vet right away for?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF it's just a few sneezes here and there, no need to RUSH to the vet. But, I would bring him in and have them test for Feline Herpes or any other chronic upper respiratory conditions/allergies. In the beginning of your post you mention a weird horking sound. Could it have been reverse sneezing? Irritation of the throat can cause reverse sneezing (post nasal drip from allergies or uri is a common cause). It is different from a cough or hairball because if you REALLY pay attention the awful sound is worse while they are taking IN air. What happens is a muscle in their throat goes into little spasms from the irritation. Reverse sneezing itself is not dangerous or life threatening, even though it sounds really scary, but it is obviously happening because of something else, so finding that out would be important.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, I got to thinking, is the litter you use dusty?
If so, you could try getting a different one, or even mixing a non clumping with a clumping litter. My boy's sneezes have stopped since I started mixing littermaid's walnut with the clumping litter.

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I do wonder about reverse sneezing. I may chicken out, but I went ahead and made an appointment for this Saturday.