Growling At Toys?

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our new kitten Penelope has a habit of growling at her toys whilst playing, is this normal? If not, how could I teach her not to do this? I'm assuming its because she thinks is like 'prey' that she has caught and its her instincts to growl.

I don't have a problem with it if its normal but our other kitten Matilda thinks it is aimed at her and thats when things escalate. They are still in the early stages of introductions.

Both now have free roam of the house as all the doors are open (meaning they can escape each other if they wished to). There is the occasional hiss from Matilda when Penelope gets too close but other than that, they now eat together, chase each other, and can comfortably sleep next to each other too. I've been told that because they are both so young (9 weeks) they are best to settle any disputes between them as they won't cause any damage. This seems to be working well :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age they should quickly take up with each other. I would let them continue to work it out together. and if the one is a talker, growler i dont think you can really teach her not too, or even that it would be very good for her to try to stop this natural instinct.

As for the growling at toys i think that fairly normal with some kittens. some are way more vocal than others. The only thing i can think is make sure there are an over abundance of toys. If there are too few she may be warning the other kitten, or even you off, so that she does not loose the toy. I expect its either warning you guys its my toy, or she is just a vocal cat, i have one..lol. he is so vocal about everything.

Cats can get aggressive over resources. so with multiple cats always make sure there is more than they need, or want. more toys, water bowls, more food bowls, more litter boxes, cat trees, just more. I have found this is the best way to keep the peace in a multi cat home.

Enjoy your new babies!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens and cats play pretend hunting and may growl, hiss or puff out their fur as they play with their toys. They may also growl to protect their “prey” from you or other cats. Pretty normal and funny too.

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Normal and very cute! When our Yoshi had a toy in his mouth and walked past another toy he would growl until he was about 9 mts old. Just like you're learning their different vocalizations they are learning each other and will work it all out. Enjoy your little ones!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I assumed it was normal.. she is just one vocal kitty! They are getting on really well, better by the hour I would say :yess: