Grooming tools

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's how Lila is with the comb! Does she only do this when you're brushing her?
I've found offering them a large toy or something similar (a paper towel tube is a hit here) that gives them something to wrap their paws around and really headbutt as you're brushing away can keep them from headbutting or even play-biting the brush.
She does this when I'm brushing her and randomly with just the brush.. although not all the time she sometimes takes it away from me and holds it with her paws and rubs her face allll over it lol her mouth area to the tip of her head. Around her mouth area I'm scared she might poke her gums and then eyes obviously I'm afraid of her poking her eye.
She will get the brush (smack it off of the table onto the floor) when im not paying attention to the fact that she wants brushed lol and do the same thing.
I think it is the most adorable thing just don't want her hurting her little self lol

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I've had cats that have lived long lives (18 yrs. and 21 yrs.), and veterinarians have always said that they are well-cared for, I find that these days there are so many different grooming tools that I'd like advice on several topics (three questions):

First question: Which grooming tools are best to use (I have two cats: Hazel is a 12-yr. old short-hair and Cleo is an 8-yr old medium-care cat)

Different products say that they are deshedding tools, massage tools, remove top coat, remove undercoat, etc.

Currently, I have the Aumuca Cat Brush: Amazon.com
The amazon.com description says it's a "cat brush" but that it's also used for deshedding. Can this one tool do both?

I also have a small, soft bristle brush, a comb, and a FURminator which is also, like the Aumuca Cat brush, called a "deshedding" tool Amazon.com

Too many tools?

Second question: in what order should I use the different grooming tools during a grooming session.

Third, and last, question: how many times a week to simply brush, and how many times a week to deshed? And can/should I do both in the same grooming session?

I will be grateful for any advice/wisdom that can be shared. Thank you all!
I am using metal combs on my guys and slickers.. I used to use the furminators and still occasionally do. I did not find they caused bald patches or problems etc. but with Zena, his coat has never come back to what it was when he was first dumped outside and I don't want to over do it with him. It does tend to remove more fur.
Merlin who is a very fluffy shorthair and Zena who is a long hair are the ones who really need it. Quinn, a pb siamese, is pretty shorthair and does not shed much and he does not like even to be combed, only a little, he is hypersensitive. I still try to calm him know when I should probably do it more because he just get hairballs sometimes. Zena loved it at first when he came inside but now he hates it on his mats.

Merlin loves it, and he will come running if he sees the comb or brush and I’m brushing Zena etc. lol

I found another comb I bought a while back at a discount place that I tried last night and it did not catch on his hair as much so I will use that mostly on him now. He has a very tangly undercoat which gets matted easily so he needs brushing at least once per week. I will try for twice per week but I don't want to annoy him too much as he has become touchier about it.

Sometimes I spray water on the combs in advance as they tangle less in his coat. The longer comb is a grey hound comb and seems to get tangled more in his mats and catches on his fur even if it is not matted. This newer comb has a short inner tooth and a longer one.. It has no brand on it so I am not sure which one it is. Merlin sheds the most when combed/brushed of all three, he loves it but he gets a bit over excited and swats at and bites the brush/comb. When Zena gets fed up with it, Merlin gets brushed and then Zena gets jealous😹

Here are some I use including that new one. I just bought another slicker for upstairs so if Zena is up with me, I can give him an extra session, but that one’s gone missing in action already. I have to figure out where I put it. I have used people hair brushes in the past too, I have one my Wizard loved and I may try that on Zena. It's not very good for getting longer hairs though and it's much harder to clean. It gives a good massage though.
IMG_8520.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am using metal combs on my guys and slickers.. I used to use the furminators and still occasionally do. I did not find they caused bald patches or problems etc. but with Zena, his coat has never come back to what it was when he was first dumped outside and I don't want to over do it with him. It does tend to remove more fur.
Merlin who is a very fluffy shorthair and Zena who is a long hair are the ones who really need it. Quinn, a pb siamese, is pretty shorthair and does not shed much and he does not like even to be combed, only a little, he is hypersensitive. I still try to calm him know when I should probably do it more because he just get hairballs sometimes. Zena loved it at first when he came inside but now he hates it on his mats.

Merlin loves it, and he will come running if he sees the comb or brush and I’m brushing Zena etc. lol

I found another comb I bought a while back at a discount place that I tried last night and it did not catch on his hair as much so I will use that mostly on him now. He has a very tangly undercoat which gets matted easily so he needs brushing at least once per week. I will try for twice per week but I don't want to annoy him too much as he has become touchier about it.

Sometimes I spray water on the combs in advance as they tangle less in his coat. The longer comb is a grey hound comb and seems to get tangled more in his mats and catches on his fur even if it is not matted. This newer comb has a short inner tooth and a longer one.. It has no brand on it so I am not sure which one it is. Merlin sheds the most when combed/brushed of all three, he loves it but he gets a bit over excited and swats at and bites the brush/comb. When Zena gets fed up with it, Merlin gets brushed and then Zena gets jealous😹

Here are some I use including that new one. I just bought another slicker for upstairs so if Zena is up with me, I can give him an extra session, but that one’s gone missing in action already. I have to figure out where I put it. I have used people hair brushes in the past too, I have one my Wizard loved and I may try that on Zena. It's not very good for getting longer hairs though and it's much harder to clean. It gives a good massage though. View attachment 455307
I really appreciate your reply - thank you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Here are some I use including that new one. I just bought another slicker for upstairs so if Zena is up with me, I can give him an extra session, but that one’s gone missing in action already. I have to figure out where I put it. I have used people hair brushes in the past too, I have one my Wizard loved and I may try that on Zena. It's not very good for getting longer hairs though and it's much harder to clean. It gives a good massage though. View attachment 455307
I have a comb very similar to the one that is wide/fine toothed, and I couldn't work without it!
And I agree, spritzing the comb really helps, and it keeps the static down, too. Sometimes the static conducted in their coats with brushing can be enough to make it unpleasant for them, and the water helps this.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a comb very similar to the one that is wide/fine toothed, and I couldn't work without it!
And I agree, spritzing the comb really helps, and it keeps the static down, too. Sometimes the static conducted in their coats with brushing can be enough to make it unpleasant for them, and the water helps this.
I will make sure to spritz it each time. 😀 Zena often gets upset if I get near his rear area.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have been struggling with mats on my older short-haired cat (she has arthritis and isn’t grooming as well as she used to). I just started using a comb like the one on the lower right in the picture and it works the best by far in loosening up and removing mats. It got out more hair in one session than anything else and was well tolerated.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been struggling with mats on my older short-haired cat (she has arthritis and isn’t grooming as well as she used to). I just started using a comb like the one on the lower right in the picture and it works the best by far in loosening up and removing mats. It got out more hair in one session than anything else and was well tolerated.
That’s good! The second time I used it it was catching on him. I have no clue why and he was not happy with it but I just went very gently. I’m trying to brush him at least a couple of times a week now so he doesn’t get the mess. His fur is very fine and kind of fuzzy. It just seems to be that kind of for that matts at the drop of a hat. It also gets curly when he washes it and I think that makes it more likely to get tangled.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am using metal combs on my guys
I've used a metal greyhound comb for as long as I can remember since almost all of our cats have been longhaired and I swear by it. This comb does a fantastic job which is why I have two of them. I didn't get mine from Amazon but this is what it looks like. Amazon.com

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used a metal greyhound comb for as long as I can remember since almost all of our cats have been longhaired and I swear by it. This comb does a fantastic job which is why I have two of them. I didn't get mine from Amazon but this is what it looks like. Amazon.com
I have one too but Zena doesn't like that one.