Grooming tools

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although I've had cats that have lived long lives (18 yrs. and 21 yrs.), and veterinarians have always said that they are well-cared for, I find that these days there are so many different grooming tools that I'd like advice on several topics (three questions):

First question: Which grooming tools are best to use (I have two cats: Hazel is a 12-yr. old short-hair and Cleo is an 8-yr old medium-care cat)

Different products say that they are deshedding tools, massage tools, remove top coat, remove undercoat, etc.

Currently, I have the Aumuca Cat Brush: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098P6164W/?tag=thecatsite
The amazon.com description says it's a "cat brush" but that it's also used for deshedding. Can this one tool do both?

I also have a small, soft bristle brush, a comb, and a FURminator which is also, like the Aumuca Cat brush, called a "deshedding" tool Amazon.com

Too many tools?

Second question: in what order should I use the different grooming tools during a grooming session.

Third, and last, question: how many times a week to simply brush, and how many times a week to deshed? And can/should I do both in the same grooming session?

I will be grateful for any advice/wisdom that can be shared. Thank you all!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found out that sometimes which tool to use depends on the cat and whether they are willing to be brushed at all.

I had luck with the Furminator on only one older short haired cat and after a couple weekly sessions, it was removing too much hair and leaving thin spots in her coat.

I also use the Kong Cat Zoom Groom Multi brush which has soft flexible 'fingers' that do a great job on my current short and medium haired cats. It removes a lot of loose hair, gently massages the skin without any pressure and the cats seem to enjoy it. I do need to remove the hair from the brush with each pass on the hair coat otherwise the hair flies everywhere. It's also great to gather up any hair on the surface where I brush the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your help!

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i brush graycie multiple times a day usually when she lays beside me on our couch :lol:i also use gf's old hair brush to brush graycie to and it acually works getting the loose hair
Is gf a brand of brush? I haven't seen this name when I look for brushes.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently, I have the Aumuca Cat Brush: Amazon.com
I also have this and it works great for my girl she is a DSH. I really do love this brush for my baby. I haven't tried the furminator I've been thinking about getting it but my girl really doesn't have any issues with shedding.
When I brush her I get little floofs as I call it lol other than that she really doesn't shed a lot so idk if I should even worry with the furminator

Last edited:

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have this and it works great for my girl she is a DSH. I really do love this brush for my baby. I haven't tried the furminator I've been thinking about getting it but my girl really doesn't have any issues with shedding.
When I brush her I get little floofs as I call it lol other than that she really doesn't shed a lot so idk if I should even worry with the furminator
Good to know - thanks!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no its just a brush my gf used that has most of the li
😅just a regular woman's hair brushbut it works and graycie seems to like it

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have tried a lot of the newer tools out there (pet groomer here), and I always find myself going back to a regular wide and fine tooth comb. If the coat is very long or thick, a soft slicker brush is something MOST cats accept (they really like little, slow strokes on top of their heads IME), and if they don't, I use a pin brush like game misconduct game misconduct showed a photo of. 2 out of my 3 cats find a brush a bit more overstimulating but LOVE the combs.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of members here do like the furminators, but I have never had much good to say about them. They are a clipper blade attached to a handle and IME it really pulls the top coat out along with the undercoat, leading to bald patches if overused. If used seasonally during heavy shedding, I can see how it would help assuming the cat tolerates it.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of members here do like the furminators, but I have never had much good to say about them. They are a clipper blade attached to a handle and IME it really pulls the top coat out along with the undercoat, leading to bald patches if overused. If used seasonally during heavy shedding, I can see how it would help assuming the cat tolerates it.
Thank you for letting me know. The brush I have seems to work very well so now knowing that, I will just continue using the brush I currently use because Gabby absolutely loves it.
Gabby will actually grab it and pull it to her face and rub her face all over it I'm always afraid she is going to hurt herself. Like poke her eye or something so I'll move it in a way that she can rub her chin on it
Thank you again for that information because like I mentioned she really has no trouble with shedding and her coat is nice and short

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of this is so helpful - I'm grateful for everyone's advice.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for letting me know. The brush I have seems to work very well so now knowing that, I will just continue using the brush I currently use because Gabby absolutely loves it.
Gabby will actually grab it and pull it to her face and rub her face all over it I'm always afraid she is going to hurt herself. Like poke her eye or something so I'll move it in a way that she can rub her chin on it
Thank you again for that information because like I mentioned she really has no trouble with shedding and her coat is nice and short
You're welcome :) Just remember this is just my personal opinion and there are many members who use the furminator occasionally and are very happy with it.
There are brushes you can buy that have little pins on the bristles that might be nice to have if she wants to "self groom" her face with the brush. My cats all cheek rub the brush I have, they must like it!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome :) Just remember this is just my personal opinion and there are many members who use the furminator occasionally and are very happy with it.
There are brushes you can buy that have little pins on the bristles that might be nice to have if she wants to "self groom" her face with the brush. My cats all cheek rub the brush I have, they must like it!
Yea I understand but the brush I have works great and she really doesn't shed.
Apparently unless we take her to the vet and she stresses out then she sheds a ton but as soon as we r home she stops shedding..

Do you mean like this because this is the brush I have now

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yea I understand but the brush I have works great and she really doesn't shed.
Apparently unless we take her to the vet and she stresses out then she sheds a ton but as soon as we r home she stops shedding..

Do you mean like this because this is the brush I have now
Yes, that's the type!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still so afraid she will poke her eye lol because she pulls it to her face so hard I have to pull hard against her pulling to get it away lol she is a strong little girl when she wants to rub her face all over the brush hahaha
That's how Lila is with the comb! Does she only do this when you're brushing her?
I've found offering them a large toy or something similar (a paper towel tube is a hit here) that gives them something to wrap their paws around and really headbutt as you're brushing away can keep them from headbutting or even play-biting the brush.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the Furminator on my two shorthairs, it was dire. I currently have the Kong Zoom Groom and they just love it. I also have a slicker brush but I'm wary of using it because the wires are so sharp.