Grooming advice for mg long haired cat

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat ginger (Norwegian Forrest Cat) has very long thick hair, and it's just out of control, she hates me grooming her, especially in certain areas and now shes started getting matted and I want to get them out and get better with her care. Does anyone have any advice, tools or tricks?

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a rake? Some cats tend to handle the knot removal better if you use a rake to help break them up, rather than trying to comb through them... rakes come in different tine lengths and thicknesses, so this is just an example

1574545898776.png

It's best, as you probably learned, to just do a little at a time, one area at a time, and give it a rest as soon as your kiddo starts getting really fidgety. I would use the rake to help loosen the knots and mats, then slowly comb out the "pieces" as they came apart. I also have a variety of metal tine combs ranging from wide to fine. I begin with the wide comb after working with the rake, then work down to the finer combs and only use a brush for the final smoothing out. Rakes also do a good job of removing the built up loose bits of undercoat that tend to get trapped. THESE are the biggest contributors to the mats and knots, so keeping the coat as free of build-up is your best bet, and the rake, along with DAILY combing with a good metal tined pet comb (not a repurposed plastic human comb) is a good help for that.

I am not a fan of razor rakes or combs, because it's really possible to accidentally cut or scratch your kitty's thin skin. However, if you use one VERY carefully, they can be quite helpful. I prefer using one with rounded "blade" ends rather than points, to minimize the risk of an accidental cut. Cat skin is so thin that it cuts really easily, so you need to be quite careful with tools...

1574548139016.png

Some folks like the tool called a Furminator, but again, I'm not a big fan. It's too easy, IMO, to remove too much hair. You have to be VERY careful. They're not really for removing mats, but more for stripping out (excess) undercoat. But again, it's too easy to go way overboard and thin that stuff too much, ending up with a pitiful looking coat. My favorite tool for mats are rakes, then slowly combing out the pieces that the rake loosens up. It's not a one-session job, sometimes, though, even with a rake! Patience, and watch the kitty for stress and take a break before the breaking point!

Sanitary trims (breech trims) around the tail, bottom and "undercarriage" will help a lot back there, and this is something that a groomer can and probably should do for you. Some cats can be prone to "stud tail". Intact males are more prone to this waxy, greasy build up, but even neutered males can have issues with it... and occasionally, in rare instances, females can have a version of it. This greasy hair can also mat and be uncomfortable, so a sanitary trim will help cut down on this problem. This is caused by overactive sebaceous (oil) glands, and/or apocrine glands. It can lead to skin irritation, blackheads and other skin problems. So, keeping the tail clean will also help.

If you have some SERIOUS matting or knots, a haircut or shave may be necessary to get a fresh start. Severe mats are painful to cats, and attempts to get these mats out with combs and rakes cause more pain and resistance. As much as we love our longhair cats, if they won't allow us to properly maintain the coat and keep it free of these painful mats, a shave may be the 'nuclear option'. Once the mats and knots are out and the skin no longer hurts, you can start daily combing again, to keep ahead of the issue. We had one Persian who was just HORRIBLE for grooming, even when she didn't have mats. She was sort of an extreme case, as she was just a terror from the time she was a baby. We would have to take her into our vet, have her sedated (fully anesthetized with surgical protocol), and the in-house groomer would lion cut her. Groomer would actually do a very nice job and make her look really cute, but Kepler had to be completely under. When Kepler would wake up and be up on her feet, it was quite obvious that she felt much better, and even liked how she felt. By the end of the day, when it was time for us to go home (I worked for that vet so she came to work with me)... she was strutting around like a supermodel! She apparently just didn't like having long hair, so she got lion cut 3-4 times a year. We would let it fill in over the winter until she was sort of a medium hair, and then come spring, which is about February here in my part of Texas, we'd do the spring trim.

You may not have to go to that drastic a measure, but if your girl is severely matted and absolutely will NOT allow you to address the mats, it's something to consider. Then maybe you will have a chance to re-establish DAILY combing and maintenance. With these long, thick coats, it's an absolute must. With double coats like your Weegie has, it's even more so.

Hope that helps