Grieving Cat: How To Help My Other Cat After The Sudden Passing

pineappelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kitty lovers.

My 10 year old cat Ron died suddenly yesterday, and I'm still in shock. I am completely heartbroken, especially after going through a miscarriage over 2 weeks ago.

His companion and sister, Veronica, who I adopted with Ron when they were 2 months old, is left alone now. I'm trying to stay strong for her, to make her feel less lonely and to make her feel loved and happy and secure.

I live alone, and I feel guilty when I think about leaving her, but I'll have to go into the office one day, and go out at night. I've been stepping out to run errands a few hours at a time, hopefully reassuring and reminding her that I'll return. But have you ever left a pet alone for an entire day so soon after the death of their companion?

How long can I expect her to grieve? I am mostly sad for her. We don't know how much they hurt or what they feel/think.

Also, have you used Rescue Remedy for a grieving pet? Did it help?

Any advice is welcome. I'm devastated and I'm having a hard time with this.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are being hit with all these bad things at once, so sorry that you lost your kitty. We did have a situation years ago where we only had 2 cats (the beginning, MANY years ago as we have 9 now), where Smoke passed and Sassy was all alone, but we could tell that she was the type who needed a companion so we went out and got Serenity; I think you can tell by how the cat is acting and how you feel too if it is time to get another one, you will just sense it but remember that involves getting them used to each other etc. so make sure that YOU are also ready.

I never used Rescue Remedy but we have used several remedies from Jackson Galaxy to get them to calm down and accept the new ones and it worked well, it probably would help your kitty I would think if it is needed.

Again, so sorry for your losses, please stay on here and keep us updated and best of luck.

God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the sudden loss.
When happened to me, Romeo was run over by a car and his sister Lola grieved for nearly a month. She was sad and lost, as I was. But eventually she recovered and went over it.
RIP Ron, keep an eye on your sister Veronica!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Ron, dream you deep. Your family will remember you forever.

I am so sorry that you have had such horrible back-to-back losses. My heart goes out to you. Sadly, as with people, there is very little that we can actually do for our grieving cats. One thing that will help is to keep up her routines...breakfast and supper at the normal times, things like that which will reassure her that her entire world hasn't been turned inside out. Lots of extra love, of course, and plenty of snuggles.

I don't recall every posting a link to an article in this forum, but it may help you.
Do Cats Mourn?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for worrying about your little girl when you yourself are still in the stages of grieving. Cats are terrified and unsettled by change. They have their routines, their patterns of life, and when there are changes or disruptions it throws them off balance. Veronica is going through this now. And just like us, when something becomes habit it takes time to adjust and get back to a new normal. Losing her companion will take time to get used to. My heart always breaks for a mama cat when the last little one leave for a new home, they cry and keep looking for about two weeks before they accept the loss, so too will Veronica. Just be there as often as you can and give her the love and reassurance she needs. You have each other, and you both will always have a bond with Ron, that is something that can never be taken from you. He will continue to send his comfort and love, his new path will always be bound to yours. Love is spiritual, so eternal, he will always be close by.
You have suffered a double blow to your life, try not to dwell on the sadness, it changes nothing, the past is what it is. Keep your mind busy, it helps to perform a small gesture to honor Ron's legacy of love he left for you, like donating litter or food to your local shelter, to make you feel a little better about yourself. Do it in his name.
You gave that boy exactly what he wanted in life, a good home and the love of a family. It meant the world to him, and I know he would never want you to be so sad because of him, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go. Seek joy and sunshine once more, there will always be storm clouds in our lives, but the sun breaking through those clouds at the end of the storm reminds us of the beauty and the calm that is there for us to enjoy. We would never enjoy the happiness in our lives so much if we didn't experience the darkness. But it is up to us to look. Take care of yourself and kiss that little girl for me........RIP precious Ron, you will be held in a loving heart for eternity, you will never be forgotten. You were a cherished companion and friend, and will continue to be so in spirit. Goodnight, sleep tight, little prince!