Greyhounds Next Door

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All, its been a while since I last posted. In the last 18 months we rehomed one of the kittens, kept 2 (whoops!), moved house, had 2 kitties with cystitis and one pretty nasty dental tumor removed!

On Sunday we finally decided to let them out for the first time, for an hour just before dinner, and plan to just do this on the weekend whilst we're home and get them in to a going-out routine for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately the neighbours on one side have 2 greyhounds and we're not sure how worried to be. I've read a mix of advice and stories. When I told the neighbour they said 'how fast are your cats' in jest, but proceeded to then say if they are in the garden they will normally be out with them.

The fence is higher that side as we are on a slight gradient, but the shed, water butt and bin store are also that side!

The dogs were also barking on Sunday and the cats didn't react at all which was a bit concerning as maybe the kittens don't know to be scared of dogs...

We've considered cat proofing that side of the garden, or maybe the entire garden (its pretty big). But am also concerned if the dogs spot the cats are they going to try and jump the fence!! We just don't know how worried to be...

Any advice, comments or suggestions welcome. My immediate thought is to talk to the neighbours again!

Thanks everyone :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should be up to your neighbors to keep their pets in their yard. However some people just aren't responsible pet owners. I would be out there with my cats and if I was really worried I would buy some dog mace just in case a dog jumps over the fence. If the dogs looked to interested in my cats I would consider building a fence on my side that raised it to be 6-8 feet tall on the dog's side of the fence.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say I have any experience, but I would talk to the neighbor again. Ask how the dogs act with cats and if they're reactive towards them. If they're not reactive, then you might be okay. But honestly, I'd just go ahead and put up a tall privacy fence at least on that side of the yard and then proceed to cat proof that. It's true that the owners of the dogs should be responsible, but it's also true that there's a rather large chance they won't. It would only take once for one of your cats to be seriously injured or worse so it's best to be cautious. Even if the dogs are friendly, they, just like cats, have instincts to hunt. If they saw a cat running around? It's very possible they would act on those instincts. Even if they only want to play, they're much bigger and stronger than the cats. It took a while for my own dog (fifteen pound Chihuahua mix) to get used to my cats running around and she grew up with cats. Absolutely loves them. However, them running makes them look like prey or at least a toy and she wants to play.

Are your cats on a leash? If not then there's also the chance of your cats getting in the dogs' yard. Dogs, again like cats, are (often) territorial. If a cat got over there, the dog could act on those instincts. My aunt lost a dog to this. So if your cats are off leash then you might have to invest in cat proofing as well as dog proofing.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Greyhounds are sight hounds. They will chase down prey. I have known several overs of these hounds over the years including my bad vet and her tribe. They consider it perfectly normal for their dogs to chase and kill small animals. build a safe enclosure for your cats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, while Greyhounds can be trained to be nice to kitties indoors, once they start running their instincts take over. So I wouldn't trust a Greyhound with cats outdoors. But Greys aren't very big on jumping fences and aren't heavy enough to barge through, so a regular high fence should do the job. A cat-proof fence to keep the kitties inside will protect them from so much more than dogs, so I think it would be worth it! :D

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that about greyhounds. Eek
There is the soft sweetie dog side the rescues present but owners often find themselves with a dog that has a very high prey drive. It's bred in. My old farrier had them and was careful to keep them confined. They do make sweet pets but they come with responsibility.
Greyhounds: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?
If their prey drive is triggered it's very hard to call them off. I would not want a sighthound in my home while I had 4 cats with the zoomies. Rescues have an agenda and I don't know how they could effectively evaluate a dog bred to have prey drive as being safe around small cats and dogs.
If the OP neighbors do not have these dogs on leash or behind a proper fence it's like playing Russian roulette every time you let the cat out. My house cats do not have the same defense mechanism as a feral cat. They don't know to run or how to hide effectively.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But Greys aren't very big on jumping fences and aren't heavy enough to barge through, so a regular high fence should do the job. A cat-proof fence to keep the kitties inside will protect them from so much more than dogs, so I think it would be worth it! :D
The fence is 6ft on there side and about 7ft our side - do you think thats adiquate? Years ago I used to work in a doggie day care and there was a dog a little smaller (but admittidly very well-built) that would jump the 6ft fence everyday. This is where ly fear comes from regarding the fence.

We're considering putting some of the roller stuff at the top of the fence, just on that side, to discourage the cats going over to their garden. My worry is its pointless if the dogs try and suceed at jumping the fence...

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My house cats do not have the same defense mechanism as a feral cat. They don't know to run or how to hide effectively.
This is another part of our worry, whilst Poppy was a stray, the kittens are almost 2 and have never been outside until now. They have also never met dogs - though they are complete whimps around strangers... Its just an unknown I suppose!!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
The fence is 6ft on there side and about 7ft our side - do you think thats adiquate? Years ago I used to work in a doggie day care and there was a dog a little smaller (but admittidly very well-built) that would jump the 6ft fence everyday. This is where ly fear comes from regarding the fence.

We're considering putting some of the roller stuff at the top of the fence, just on that side, to discourage the cats going over to their garden. My worry is its pointless if the dogs try and suceed at jumping the fence...
I would put up the angled fence to keep your cats where they belong. If legal I would get a can of dog pepper spray. That's usually legal even if self defense for yourself isn't. Having that can strapped to your belt while outside with your cats and I would for the first few weeks to make sure they were going to stay put serves two purposes. It would protect your cats and it sends a clear message to your neighbors. You don't have to point it and laugh or say see what I got. The can speaks for itself.
It is almost always upon the animal owner to construct a barrier to keep their own animals contained. Many laws are twitchy in that they don't come into play until the first incident has occurred. If your pet is the first incident that is not a comforting thought.
I've had this fight for 25 years now and finally stopped being polite, reasonable or trying to keep the peace. I have as much right to use my yard as my neighbors do and I do not have to guess if this is the day her poorly socialized dogs are running loose. I know of several friends who tried to work out a schedule in a apartment complex but without fail one if not both or more parties felt confined and went back to letting their dogs out whenever or dominating the fenced dog park area with an aggressive dog.
You should know pretty quick if their greyhounds have a high prey drive but remember all greyhounds have one.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
This is another part of our worry, whilst Poppy was a stray, the kittens are almost 2 and have never been outside until now. They have also never met dogs - though they are complete whimps around strangers... Its just an unknown I suppose!!
My housecats are morons. The worst thing they endure in the great sucking machine that runs along the rugs.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I'm all for making the neighbors responsible for their animals ..... I would be much more concerned about my cats safety. I would install a fence and keep them in it. You might try asking them if they are willing to go half & half with you over a fence that will contain their dogs. Given their flippant response I doubt it but you can politely ask.

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong they are nice neighbours and I don't think he was being rude or ignorant but just making light of it.

I'm more than happy to take responsibility for our cats and do whats needed to keep them safe but I just can't judge if we're over reacting. There are heaps of cats in our neighbourhood and we're close to a man made lake and woodland so there are way more interesting things than next doors garden.

I think I'll talk to them again re the likiness of them getting over the fence! We don't know how long they've had the dogs or anything but they do seem to know the breed!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know.. I guess I have a different perspective; If you cats are already house cats, I do not understand why you would try to turn them into outdoor cats?

If it were me, I would just leave things as they are, and keep my kitties indoors.. all problems solved, and the easiest solution.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know.. I guess I have a different perspective; If you cats are already house cats, I do not understand why you would try to turn them into outdoor cats?

If it were me, I would just leave things as they are, and keep my kitties indoors.. all problems solved, and the easiest solution.
If she wants to make a secure enclosure for her cats in her yard that is her right.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong they are nice neighbours and I don't think he was being rude or ignorant but just making light of it.

I'm more than happy to take responsibility for our cats and do whats needed to keep them safe but I just can't judge if we're over reacting. There are heaps of cats in our neighbourhood and we're close to a man made lake and woodland so there are way more interesting things than next doors garden.

I think I'll talk to them again re the likiness of them getting over the fence! We don't know how long they've had the dogs or anything but they do seem to know the breed!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input :)
Greyhound rescues push the dog has been tested and is cat safe. It's false security for everyone. It's not about being nice or mean it's about your cats safety. The angled fence keeps your cats in a safe place. It's also worth considering that preventing an accident keeps good feelings on both sides of the fence. I can testify that having neighbors you are at war with for years is not fun.

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We've considered it but I think I'd rather entirely cat proof the garden over keeping them in. Milo is particular needs the extra mental stinulation. They play fight a lot and it usually ends up in the girls hissing at him because he's bigger, stronger and more boisterous and he's always awake trying to find something new to do.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a greyhound myself (he was sadly pts in January, at the ripe old age of 14), and have known many more. He was never a problem with the cats, though it did take some training in the early stages (as with ANY dog coming to live with cats). One significant point about my old boy was that he'd never raced - ex racers have been trained to chase small fluffy things, and not all can be retrained around small furries (in fact, in the UK the greyhounds with the strongest prey drive are required to be muzzled when on walks. For some, even small dogs may be seen as targets - it all depends on the individual dog).

Greyhound rescues do cat-test (and small-dog-test) all their greys, and not all pass...my impression from recent enquiries is that many more fail than pass. Also, passing a cat test does NOT mean that the grey is safe around all cats - it means that he/she can be trained to be safe around cats (just as any other dog would have to be trained - I wouldn't trust ANY unknown/new dog around cats without training).

As to jumping fences - when my boy was young he'd happily jump a 4ft gate to escape into the field behind the house (as soon as we found that out, he was on a leash for all garden visits). A 6ft or 7ft fence should be safe enough though. My main worry would be your cats getting into their garden, so that should be your main focus. A 6ft fence is nothing to a cat :winkcat:

Greys and cats can be wonderful together, but I wouldn't trust someone else's greys around my cats off leash...especially if their owner didn't have cats themselves.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
We've considered it but I think I'd rather entirely cat proof the garden over keeping them in. Milo is particular needs the extra mental stinulation. They play fight a lot and it usually ends up in the girls hissing at him because he's bigger, stronger and more boisterous and he's always awake trying to find something new to do.
If she wants to make a secure enclosure for her cats in her yard that is her right.
I did not mean to offend you or anyone else. I was just thinking of the easiest, most non-confrontational, least expensive way out of the situation.

If you really want to allow your cats outside, then I would definitely put up cat proof fencing. The kind with curves, or even invest in a catio.

You will have these neighbors for a long time.. as well as your cats.. it would be best to live in harmony with them.

Just my opinion.. I also would not ask them to pay any costs involved. At this point, it is your issue, not theirs. If the dogs do come on your property, then I would have to get your neighbors involved.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do...

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a greyhound myself (he was sadly pts in January, at the ripe old age of 14), and have known many more. He was never a problem with the cats, though it did take some training in the early stages (as with ANY dog coming to live with cats). One significant point about my old boy was that he'd never raced - ex racers have been trained to chase small fluffy things, and not all can be retrained around small furries (in fact, in the UK the greyhounds with the strongest prey drive are required to be muzzled when on walks. For some, even small dogs may be seen as targets - it all depends on the individual dog).

Greyhound rescues do cat-test (and small-dog-test) all their greys, and not all pass...my impression from recent enquiries is that many more fail than pass. Also, passing a cat test does NOT mean that the grey is safe around all cats - it means that he/she can be trained to be safe around cats (just as any other dog would have to be trained - I wouldn't trust ANY unknown/new dog around cats without training).

As to jumping fences - when my boy was young he'd happily jump a 4ft gate to escape into the field behind the house (as soon as we found that out, he was on a leash for all garden visits). A 6ft or 7ft fence should be safe enough though. My main worry would be your cats getting into their garden, so that should be your main focus. A 6ft fence is nothing to a cat :winkcat:

Greys and cats can be wonderful together, but I wouldn't trust someone else's greys around my cats off leash...especially if their owner didn't have cats themselves.
Thank you I was trying to say most of this but seemed to fall sort of flat. I followed some interesting conversations on FB where owners of sighthounds tend to accept their dogs will chase and kill. One seemed to find it amusing that hers was killing feral cats.
The fence attachments are supposed to be angled to prevent , discourage cats from escaping. Most of my friend with cat/dog households separate them when gone during the day for work or shopping.