Greetings [possibly Again] From Colorado.

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I joined a while back, apparently, after getting my first cat.

Her name was Zombi. She was a wonderful cat. And she's gone. January 31st.

I wanted to wait, grieve, and try to pay down the vet bills, but sometimes things don't work out the way you plan.

We now have two 7 month old kittens: El and Morti.

Two cats at once is strange and new.

They're both shorthairs, both apparently all black, and both probably from the same litter. They were even kept in the same pen at the shelter.

El is a strange mixture of timid and brave--timid when I'm standing, but brave when I'm doing things that should scare a cat. She's not afraid of the vacuum, and took a quite commanding supervisory role when I was rebuilding some furniture the other day.

Morti is the bigger sister for now, having apparently hit a random growth spurt. And she's teaching me how to play fetch.

They are currently stampeding across the house in a 'you chase me then I'll chase you' game.

This was Zombi, at the beginning of the end. She never stopped being this sweet, and I have a lot of pictures of her doing her weird 'bury her face in my hand' thing.
15775099_10154787163454120_6525096132230752051_o (1).jpg

And here are El and Morti.
17917821_10155173970604120_2492851238959620690_o.jpg

El has the pink collar. Morti had that black and white collar, but she disposed of it, and the replacement.

...and it's now 'walk on the keyboard' time, apparently, which means I need to wrap this up before it becomes nothing but cat-like typing.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and Welcome,

I am so sorry about Zombie. She was very beautiful!

El and Morti are just lovely and the pic of them together is darling.
I have had 5 black cats are they were all extra sweet.

Again welcome,

Mia

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello coffeechick, welcome to TCS :wave3:

So sorry to hear about Zombi. She's a sweet kitty.

Also glad that you've adopted El and Morti. They too are lovely.

Do check out the rest of the site as it is filled with tons of informations and helpful and knowledgeable forum cats (members). Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Also please post more photos of El and Morti and here's a special thread dedicated to black cats :-

Black Cats Only

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Zombi is a beautiful cat, I am sorry to hear :(

Eli and Morti will help you through, and looks like they already are! Sounds like they are very fond of each other, which is great to have in a pair (I wish my two are like that)

And of course, Welcome to the site!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zombi was, and she had a personality to match. She loved everyone--even the vets.

El and Morti are an entirely new experience for me. Growing up, we only ever had one cat at once, except for a few 'oops, kittens' experiences. Watching them interact is just weird. They'll seem to be playing a little too rough, and then they'll curl up together, groom each other, and go to sleep.

And when Morti first dropped a toy in front of me and stared at me, I was very confused. I just...gave her a treat, told her she was a good kitten, and then asked her to never, ever do this with a spider.

It took a friend of mine with a fetch cat telling me 'just throw it and see what happens'. Cats playing fetch. So completely unexpected.

We had a round of twenty fetches in a row tonight before El woke up and interrupted the game.

They are helping me, in their own way. They're both very different, and not quite up to 'lap cat' right now. El did spend a good, long nap in my lap the other day, and absolutely devastated me by doing the 'push head into hand' thing. My being upset probably upset her, but it couldn't be helped.

She is, occasionally, gloriously cuddly. These occasions are usually a few hours before I really want to wake up, but I'm not going to turn down a cat mushing her face into mine.

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for posting twice in a row. I had to go dig through FB for some pictures.

The ride home. I know this isn't the safest thing in the world, but they were so very unhappy in those boxes from the shelter.
17855550_10155144292529120_8460544455066794603_o.jpg

I don't know if it's visible, but El was the one wearing a collar at the shelter. Morti was not, which I guess should have told us something about her personality.

They 'came' with the names 'Elvira' and 'Morticia'. Morticia kinda instantly became Morti, and I think it suits her. Something about her face gives her this perpetually stressed expression, like Morty from Rick&Morty.

El [occasionally Ellie-cat] shares some traits with Eleven from Stranger Things [a love of hiding under things, and the aforementioned streak of odd bravery].

Morti has had a couple of bouts of paint-peeling gas, but that's cleared up [kinda had to mix in some Iams with the food the shelter gave us, and we'll probably have to ease her into even better foods as we go on--and I've got a collection kit for both of them from the vet, but it's been almost impossible to catch a fresh poo that can be mapped back to a specific cat], and exactly one overeating-puke.

The sudden reappearance of what feels like a pound of undigested food makes you rethink a lot of things very quickly. No more bowls for us--we have puzzles now, and they both caught on quickly.

18121617_10155191301579120_8231276628610001183_o.jpg

This is El, breaking my heart.

18121351_10155196006499120_928740346099430254_o.jpg

I came back from the bathroom, and they were both in my place, so I just eased in behind them while they were engaged in this sort of competitive face-licking exercise.

Immediately after this, they both went to sleep right there, El curled up, and Morti stretched very, very awkwardly across my foot and hanging off the cushion.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are lovely ! Thank you for rescuing them from the shelter and most importantly keeping the girls together . It seems like they have supported each other in their life's so far !

Sorry for your loss too (Zombi) she looked adorable !

My kitten Gracie is now 7 months old and she sounds a bit like Morti! I try to put cute colours on her and it's like battle putting it on and off ! I watched a wildlife programme the other day and a lion had a colour on holding a tracking device ! I thought I cant even put a colour on my domestic kitty !!

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they're attached to me, but I've certainly become very attached to them.

I've tried to foster some sort of bond with El. Make her less afraid of the Evil Beast That Walks on Two Legs [me, when I'm standing] by engaging her in play and hand feeding her a little bit [I keep a little thing of food or some Greenies nearby].

She hasn't growled at me since a couple of days after we brought them home. She hasn't completely disappeared into CatSpace at all this week. She's engaged me directly while I was standing, twice now, doing the 'meow to get attention, make eye contact, walk away, check to see if following' thing.

She even licked my nose today.

And daisyd:

The shelter gave us an unexpected deal on them, to keep them together. They have different prices for different ages, and they almost never offer deals on kittens, even at the height of kitten season, but they made an exception for these two to make sure they stayed together.

Zombi would tolerate a collar for months at a time, until one day that collar would be gone. I'm still finding her old collars stashed around the house.

El isn't too pleased with the bell. Or maybe not so much 'not too pleased' as 'irritated that this obvious toy is in a hard-to-reach place'. I'm seriously considering prying open the bell ring and just removing it.

It is weird that they get lions to tolerate tracking collars. They seem like they'd be very annoying.

And watching these two play, in the short time that I've had them? Sometimes it's a bit like watching a nature documentary.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I always take the bell off the colour - although that is more my sake than Gracie's ! 7 months is a fun age. She is still as nuts as ever and does sprints up and down the hallway now and again and then she turns into cat for a moment and sits on the window seal for a while and let's me god forbid cuddle her.... Until kitten mode jumps in again and she's playing!

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They've just had their morning chase, and are sleeping in my partner's cushy computer chair [we're crashing on the floor in the warmest room in the house waiting for a part to finish putting the bed back together].

Cuddling may be infrequent [for me, anyway--even Zombi warmed up to him first], but that round of fetch this morning was an absolute delight. Once or twice still felt like an anomaly. Morti bringing me the same toy twenty times in a row? That's gone from 'anomaly' to 'definite pattern'.

I'm fine with that. If Morti wants to fetch? If fetching makes her happy--and I do hope it makes her happy. Then we will play fetch.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky you can play fetch ! Gracie fetches put goes off with the ball and doesn't come back !!