Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Green House For Stud Enclosure

Discussion in 'Showing and Ethical Breeding' started by ameezers, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ameezers

ameezers Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

May 6, 2017
    Ontario
    So it is 8 ft long by 4 ft wide by 7 ft high.

It would be inside my house, in a a high traffic room with my patio door so it has lots of natural light.

Obviously I would add lots of hidey places and things to jump up on, ect

Do you think that this would work? Do you think it is enough space if I add things to give him vertical space and stuff to climb on?

This was supposed to be done last summer, but I have been all over the place as to what I wanted to do...

Any thoughts or advice would be great thank you!

Attached Files:

2. biancavd

biancavd TCS Member Super Cat

Sep 6, 2013
    Europe
    I think it will get quite warm inside, and not enough ways for fresh air. Males have a quite obvious odor, you don't want them to sit in that smell all the time. Also, for me, it seems rather small. I made it my number one thing to give my male a lot of space, fresh air, and as much part of the family as possible.

3. ameezers

May 6, 2017
    Ontario
    Where do you keep your stud?

4. biancavd

biancavd TCS Member Super Cat

Sep 6, 2013
    Europe
    He has his own mancave upstairs (our entire attic with windows and different ways to air), but we let him out as much as we can. During the day he can roam the house (we keep girls separate of course, so we switch rooms a lot) and go outside (which he loves) in a save enclosure.

5. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota

6. epona

epona TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 24, 2006
    London, England
    I'd be worried that it would get dangerously hot inside there - great for growing seedlings, not for the comfort and wellbeing of a cat.

7. ameezers

May 6, 2017
    Ontario
    I thought that it would get too warm in there too, but hubby argued that it's inside so it shouldn't be that bad...

Happy to say that you all helped me convince him to go with my original idea, where he builds it from scratch ha ha :)

8. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    I have ZERO knowledge of stud cats, breeding, or what all goes into it but if it's in a shaded area I'd be OK with it. If there's sun in the enclosure, and it is a bother in the sunnier months (or, in our case, the afternoons), we opted to try out bamboo shades on all our windows. It wasn't cheap, but not terribly expensive. I've never had these types of shades before, they're not privacy shades or "black out" shades that block all light but they filter and it's so super relaxing and pleasant.
    Just something that might hopefully offer some help if you need a "plan B" for certain times of the year. I've love to see pictures on it's completion. I'm fascinated by cat enclosures, indoors and out.

ameezers purraised this.

9. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    I think the heat in a greenhouse would be the main problem. Most breeders I know have designated stud quarters inside their home. I think some have a separate structure, that is heated/air conditioned.

10. auntie

auntie TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 30, 2017
    Why don’t you just make an identical frame with screens instead of glass? You could always put on a fiberglass top if you feel like he needs shelter/shade.
    You can reward me for this fabulous suggestion with 1 pet-grade Siamese kitten :yess:

ameezers and 1 bruce 1 purraised this.

11. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    I do like screens.
    Our outdoor enclosure is all screens but we're expanding it and will keep usage of screened sides/covers.
    Totally stoke to see the OP's finished product =)