Greedy Cat

jenny2035

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seven cats. Two of them eat anything and everything. One is so crazy hungry all the time, he is like a wild cat at feeding time. I de-worm them from time to time and have done so recently but no changes in him - I feed him in a different room - away from the others. If I pick him and his bowl up at the same time, he is grabbing at the dish with his mouth, and if he manages to get a bite, he is then grabbing at the food with his paw...this just gives you an idea of how greedy he is. He twists and squirms in my arms until I put him down with his dish. Once he has finished his food, if he manages, he runs over to the other cats and eats their food. He is an avid hunter and brings home something nearly every day....often he eats his trophy but this summer he kept bringing home chipmunks - Quite mean of him, but also shows how quick he is. I suspect he is a bit feral. I have had him for 6 years. Is it possible to tame the wild manners?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he is a very active cat it's possible he is really that hungry. Is it possible to increase his serving?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he eat so fast that he vomits it back up? You could also try one of the slow feeders for him to give the other cats time to finish theirs in peace. But I agree, he could just need more food.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think of worms first (but I understand you've de-wormed him). Then I think of metabolism issues. Then I think of his kitten-hood...when perhaps he never got quite enough to eat when he was a youngster. I see "greed" as a human vice, which I'm not too certain that a cat can exhibit.

My
twocents.gif
eh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny2035

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your tips. The 18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips were insightful! My first attempt to slow him down will be spreading the food on a plate so he will be forced to lick it rather than gulp it.