Grease Consumption

kspin04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just consumed some beef grease with scallions and peppers. Will he be ok or do I need to find an animal hospital. His vet is closed at the moment

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep a close eye on the cat tonight and call the vet in the morning. Hopefully your cat will be fine, maybe with a minor upset tummy. Should your cat become really ill overnight, the after hours voicemail message for your vet will have info on who to call.

There was a similar thread on a cat getting into a pan of cooking grease not long ago: Eating Grease

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the grease isn't a problem and I don't want to freak you out but scallions fall into a group of foods which in a high dose can be toxic to cats. That said- kitty would have to eat a lot to be affected.
The Toxic Plant: Allium. The Allium species of plants is where the toxicity lies. These plants include garlic, onions, leeks, scallions, chives and shallots. If your pet eats one of these products, red blood cells can be damaged, resulting in the cells not being able to carry oxygen.
I would keep an eye on him. Watch for vomiting and diarrhea and if you have any problems give the vet a call.
All the best to you and your cat.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi K kspin04 and welcome to the forum !

If he is going to have any reaction at all, I suspect you'll see it in the litterbox, and it will be due to the extra fat that he's had - some degree of loose stool would be what I'd be facing here.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He will most likely be fine. I have a cat who LOVES all kinds of grease, bacon grease, olive oil, butter, you get my drift. She hasn't had any ill effects. We do keep an eye on her after she's managed to score some, but so far, we've had no issues.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re concerned, you can help things along with one teaspoon of raw egg yolk (not the white.). It contains lecithin which will emulsify the grease making it more soluble and essentially speeding its way through your cat like Liquid Plumber. It will make a smelly mess of your litterbox. Only 1 tsp. Give it 12 to 24 hours to work its way through. But it should be pretty effective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kspin04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. He seems to be doing well. He has been running and playing on the overnight like he usually does. I have not seen any vomit and he has gone to the bathroom. He ate his overnight meal as well. Being a 1st time cat owner I suppose I need to get used to these episodes. Been 8 hrs so far...I think he will be fine. Lesson learned...