Eating Grease

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anytime I make hamburger and I leave the grease out to cool. I'll hear her jump up and find her eating it. Why and will it hurt her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Well, it's not great for her, no. It smells and tastes good :)
Youll want to find a way to cover the grease.

How old is she? If she's still a kitten you need to be feeding her as much as possible. Or, of she's an adult (or a kitten) only eating dry cat food, you may want to consider feeding her canned food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just turned 7mths. She has free range dry food and moist treats. How many cans should I add? Would they be big or small ones?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It might sound a little strange to think of it this way, but you'll want to let her tell you.

Kittens' smaller tummies do best with three, maybe four canned/pouch meals daily, if you can. If there's just a little bit of food left in the dish each meal then you know for certain she's eaten to satiation. The kibble would be better for overnight food.

She has a lot of growth going on (brain, nervous system, bones etc) and will at least until she's a year. If she's one of the big breeds she won't stop growing until possible 2 years maybe a little beyond that.

To explain why I'm not directly answering your question of how many cans, every cat is so different that even the feeding guildelines on bags and cans aren't much help.

There's another thought here as well, that by introducing your baby to different foods and brands now, you'll have a cat that will hopefully transition to new foods more easily later on, due to manufacturer changes of the food formula to the point the cat won't eat it, no longer making a favorite food, et al.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our adult cats do that all the time, we need to be careful about what they have access to. It hasn’t hurt them yet, but it’s also not good for them.

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still had "for kitten" canned food and she wouldn't eat it anymore. She likes the seafood etc pouches or snacks as I call them. So regular cans are a no no?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Next time put the pan into the oven to cool instead of letting it sit on the counter or stove.

Regular cans of cat food are fine to feed. There tends to be more food in a can than in a pouch. You can either feed kitten specific food or "all life stages" food. Limit seafood to occasional meals. Sometimes cats get addicted to eating seafood and will refuse to eat anything else.

Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet?
Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat
Tuna is not your cat's friend - read why...

Many people feed mainly canned food and leave a small amount of dry food out for snacking on. Try offering one 3 oz can twice a day and adjust the amount if needed. If you use a 5.5 oz can, that can be split into about 3 meals.

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much for the info. It's been awhile since we had a little one. So, I wanna make sure she grows up big and strong.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one that will stick her paw in the cup of bacon grease drippings (cold) to get to the grease if it's left out. She will also pretty much lick any kind of food left on the stove uncovered. We've learned to put lids on everything, put stuff in the oven to keep out of her reach, or in the microwave. Have to wipe down the stove after cooking and before eating as well or she'll lick any grease that has splattered. She hasn't died yet.

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg!!! I thought I just had a crazy kitty that will lick/ eat everything. I def can't leave the kitchen if the stove is in the least bit warm. Fraid they're gonna burn their little beans. I'm surprised she still likes cat foods. :devilcat2:

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question. I've been giving her 2 cans of moist and still leaving out the dry, but she seems to have stopped eating the dry. Should I increase the cans to 3? She goes to the table and meowing to get her cans.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
After years of living with cats, including some scavengers who loved grease and leftovers, I still pour grease into a syrofoam cup and set it in the fridge to harden before tossing. I do not leave anything out including bread so the cat isn’t tempted to explore a countertop or stove which are forbidden areas of my home,

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok..... so I've been giving her 2 cans of moist and this is what her lip looks like. Any correlation? 20181014_211303.jpg

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't rush to reply please......
Update.. vet gave steroid shot and said it prob is allergies. I switched canned food, but she won't eat it. Dumb me, I bought a large box. Any ideas what canned food might be less allergic?