Grain Free, High Protein And Low Carb Dry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's $30.00 for a 14oz bag of Primal. My 2 cats eat it in 4 or 5 days. That's over $180 a month on just cat food for 2 cats.
Yeah, my cats weigh more, even though two could lose some weight which would still equal more food if they did lose some weight. So I'd be looking at more than $180. It'll be a stretch to even afford what might be considered better kibble and do some sort of wet along with it. I'm barely getting by as it is as low income as I am as it stands anyway.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finding a recipe for a balanced raw home diet would probably also be cheaper. Your 20 lbs cat would only need 4 oz a day. Which isn’t bad really. For raw diets it’s 2-3% of their body weight. Might keep that in mind as well. Find meat on sale buy in bulk spend a few hours on the weekend preparing meals and bagging them individually for the week ahead. That’s an idea as well if you have the time for it. Little more labor intensive and not every cat will adjust to it but an idea none the less.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But then again, I've heard people say their cats lived up to 20 years on Meow Mix.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finding a recipe for a balanced raw home diet would probably also be cheaper. Your 20 lbs cat would only need 4 oz a day. Which isn’t bad really. For raw diets it’s 2-3% of their body weight. Might keep that in mind as well. Find meat on sale buy in bulk spend a few hours on the weekend preparing meals and bagging them individually for the week ahead. That’s an idea as well if you have the time for it. Little more labor intensive and not every cat will adjust to it but an idea none the less.
I am too squeamish for that, unfortunately.

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have persal reasons I'd not feed raw with raw currently, it's enough that I feed a obligate carnivores, for me anyway. Raw diets also require vitamins and supplements in the right amounts, if not the consequences could be dire, which is worrisome too especially when I free feed. Plus, I've tried giving chicken chunks once before and they didn't recognize it as food which is common I guess. I think it'd be difficult to train them into thinking it's food let alone the fact that you have to feed hearts which I have no clue how I'd acquire and wouldn't feel comfortable feeding anyway. It looks like I'm just out of luck when it comes to cat food options given my budget isn't very big at all. I'm not sure how I'd fit in buying Orijen at $63 per 12 lbs but I'd think it could very possibly last longer if I feed based on calories per cat which makes it the best option thus far!

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see a way to edit posts, no pencil for me but I meant "I have persal reasons I'd not feed with raw currently", I don't want to mention why because it'd cause problems. If you can guess, no need to mention or bring it up in posts/conversation.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I went by the "feeding instructions" on low end and high end grain free I personally could never afford that. It ranges from $130 (low end) to 500+ per month, I've sat and calculated based on the "feeding instructions" for various brands. What are you feeding? How much? And, how much does your cat weigh?
I honestly do not pay that much attention to the "feeding Instructions" with the foods i feed. I have 2 girls that weigh in at 7 and 8 lbs, and two boys that are 11 and 12 lbs. I feed two wet meals per day, split two 3 oz cans of wet in the morning between the 4 and 2 cans split again in the evening. I leave Dr. Elsey's kibble, chicken flavor. out all the time, i normally put out 3/4 cup per day, sometimes they finish it, sometimes they don't. I will often feed a mini meal at noon if they are acting hungry, split a can of wet, or give them all a big spoon full of Farmina kibble. Seems to work for my guys, the vet says all healthy and at a good weight.

As someone else mentioned, and my vet has also said. There are healthy cats out there that eat many different foods, and styles of food. Research the food, buy the healthiest you can comfortably afford, and try not to stress about it. Clean litter boxes, Fresh clean water, a stress free environment, and lots of stimulation, such as toys, play time, windows to watch the outside, that all contributes to the health of your cats as well. Food is a big part of it, but only one part.

My mom, who is 80 now, has always had cats and will only feed Friskies dry food. I have tried to change that, i take them other food, but she normally doesn't feed it, just feeds the Friskies. Her cats always live long happy lives, go figure.
My son and his wife have cats they only feed wet, their 4 get two cans of fancy feast classics each, per day. Or one can of Friskies shreds split in two meals per day for each cat. Its what they can afford, and their cats have been healthy and happy for a long time this way.

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond Thanks! That helps give me an idea of how much wet to feed. Although I'm not sure I can afford 3 of the 3 oz cans a day either at Fancy Feast price of $0.65 or Chewy's price of $0.57 for some types. Plus, that on top of buying a kibble would be a lot for me. As far as kibble I think I like Orijen because they use whole prey in their food and supposedly they use human-grade meat too which I guess is something to look for in dry kibble according to one website. The 12 lb bag is $63 or so but if I'm feeding much less could last awhile. I'm still not 100% sure I can even afford that though. I'm still searching around to find the best option for my very small budget. I'm not a fan of what I currently feed, it's one of the cheapest grain free options on the market. Hopefully I can find something, even if it just uses peas which someone said is lower in carbs than others used. My options seem extremely limited. And, yesterday I forgot raw isn't an option either because I don't drive therefore I buy cat food online, freeze dried raw is too expensive and the others I don't know the brands but have read they require freezer/I've packs which make the prices outrageous! I just can't do it!

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Freezer/ice packs**

I'm trying to find a better than what I feed but also affordable kibble option that would allow me to afford more wet food as well.

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see absolutely no way to edit a post even using my computer! There's no pencil on my phone or computer or anything to click to edit, how are people editing? I just wanted to say my cats will eat any type of wet as long as the chunks aren't too hard, they won't eat it after it's been in the fridge even warmed up and refused to eat Taste of the Wild canned with venison when I tried it as a special treat to try something different. Thankfully I only bought 1 or 2 cans. Plus one vomits some fish flavors and beef immediately after eating them, I don't know which fish flavors but stay away from both in wet. He shows no other signs of having an allergy to either but I still avoid ones with those as the main or base ingredient.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond Thanks! That helps give me an idea of how much wet to feed. Although I'm not sure I can afford 3 of the 3 oz cans a day either at Fancy Feast price of $0.65 or Chewy's price of $0.57 for some types. Plus, that on top of buying a kibble would be a lot for me. As far as kibble I think I like Orijen because they use whole prey in their food and supposedly they use human-grade meat too which I guess is something to look for in dry kibble according to one website. The 12 lb bag is $63 or so but if I'm feeding much less could last awhile. I'm still not 100% sure I can even afford that though. I'm still searching around to find the best option for my very small budget. I'm not a fan of what I currently feed, it's one of the cheapest grain free options on the market. Hopefully I can find something, even if it just uses peas which someone said is lower in carbs than others used. My options seem extremely limited. And, yesterday I forgot raw isn't an option either because I don't drive therefore I buy cat food online, freeze dried raw is too expensive and the others I don't know the brands but have read they require freezer/I've packs which make the prices outrageous! I just can't do it!
I like orijen, but my cats are hit and miss with it. sometimes amazon sells small 12oz bags you can try, but i find amazon to actually be higher priced on cat food than chewy and a few other online stores. Another food that some started talking about after Evo was discontinued is American Journey Turkey & Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food it has good reviews and seems to be a decent food. Another one you might look at, quite a few people like crave Crave with Chicken Adult High-Protein Grain-Free Dry Cat Food these are slightly lower in price, but seem like fairly good foods, then the budget might allow 1 wet meal per day, and dry for the other?

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked through most grain free brands to find one by Solid Gold, the Let's Stay In Indoor Chicken, Lentil & Apple Recipe, that doesn't use potato or tapioca which a few websites warn about but the fruits I'm leery about, even though American Journey uses fruits too I see. There's this Nutrisca Grain Free Chicken or Fussie Cat Market Fresh Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free that neither use potatoes or tapioca either. I've used Solid Gold before though and they ate it but didn't eat much which I assumed they didn't like it. I have since learned cats eat less when it's grain free supposedly. I'm currently trying to find the best wet option on Chewy which even when you sort low to high the top one might have smaller cans or less cans at a higher per can price, so it's taking some effort and calculation. The Solid Gold is higher priced though compared to the other two I found or the ones you suggested even. I'll have to figure out wet I guess first as best I can then figure out which dry to get.

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does carb % matter? As I'm finding out that maybe I'm going about dry all wrong. My current food has 22.58% carbs with potato whereas the Solid Gold Let's Stay Indoor is 24% despite no potato or tapioca, just pea protein and pea fiber. Solid Gold has one, Indigo Moon, with potato though that's 17% somehow even lower than my current with potato. I emailed Solid Gold to find out which is the lowest. Of course I'm learning calories matter too but that's just a matter of adjusting amounts given. I'm definitely over complicating this as I grew up too with cats that lived on Friskies and what not too that lived to old age. My cats even started off on Cat Chow in the very beginning 6 years ago (two are 6 years old and one is 5 years old). I didn't know much about food then though.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does carb % matter? As I'm finding out that maybe I'm going about dry all wrong. My current food has 22.58% carbs with potato whereas the Solid Gold Let's Stay Indoor is 24% despite no potato or tapioca, just pea protein and pea fiber. Solid Gold has one, Indigo Moon, with potato though that's 17% somehow even lower than my current with potato. I emailed Solid Gold to find out which is the lowest. Of course I'm learning calories matter too but that's just a matter of adjusting amounts given. I'm definitely over complicating this as I grew up too with cats that lived on Friskies and what not too that lived to old age. My cats even started off on Cat Chow in the very beginning 6 years ago (two are 6 years old and one is 5 years old). I didn't know much about food then though.
From what i understand you want as much protein as you can get, moderate fat, and as low carb as possible. 17% is not bad for a dry food. calories matter, but i find with higher protein and less carbs cats eat less. I have read that a cat body needs so much protein per day, and they will eat until they get that amount if possible. so it would seem that they over eat on high carb foods, trying to get the protein. I don't really count calories for my guys, no one is to skinny, or to heavy, but i think the recommendation is normally around 200 calories per day, give or take a few depending on the size and activity of the cats. There is a lot of debate on peas potato and tapioca, i don't really know which i think is better or worse, so i try to go with the lowest carb count i can find. i use this website quite a bit
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Last edited:

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll check that site but Solid Gold Indigo Moon is looking good 42% protein according to nutritional info and 17% carbs according to a question answered on Chewy under that food. Most of the others I've looked at aren't nearly as high in protein or as low as that carb %. Brand wise according to the site you use all the ones I've looked at are average, a few were Nutrisca above average and Crave significantly above average. That says Indigo Moon is 28%. I'll keep looking on there!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked into the Solid Gold Indigo Moon food. It's kibble though. Many are now saying kibble food in whatever form is not the ideal diet for your cat.

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked into the Solid Gold Indigo Moon food. It's kibble though. Many are now saying kibble food in whatever form is not the ideal diet for your cat.
I think we've established that already in this thread before but nothing else is possible for me, as I keep saying. I cannot afford to feed solely wet. I can't afford freeze dried or ice packed raw either. Due to not driving I have to also order my cat's food online.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll check that site but Solid Gold Indigo Moon is looking good 42% protein according to nutritional info and 17% carbs according to a question answered on Chewy under that food. Most of the others I've looked at aren't nearly as high in protein or as low as that carb %. Brand wise according to the site you use all the ones I've looked at are average, a few were Nutrisca above average and Crave significantly above average. That says Indigo Moon is 28%. I'll keep looking on there!
the site may not have been updated, if there has been a change in the foods? i know chewy will respond if you post the question on the carbs to them. and from what i hear the lady that takes care of the database has a Facebook page, and will answer questions or update her information if asked.

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm actually looking more at Crave now which is better than my current food but not nearly as expensive as Solid Gold.