Product No.: Grain Free Cat Food 2.5

\t

Grain/potato-free, Beef/Wild Salmon

Raw Food Layered on Wholistic Kibble
No Refrigeration Needed
Organics Inside / USDA Approved Ingredients
Meets all AAFCO Nutritional Requirements For All Life Stages

Raw Food:
Freeze Dried Beef Muscle Meat (source of natural taurine), Freeze Dried Salmon, Bok Choy, Inulin, Green Tripe, Mixed Baby Sprouts, Coral Calcium + 74 Trace MineralsThis is not really usable to the animal , Active Pre & Probioticsfrom what??? is it protected , Full Spectrum Digestive Enzymes enclosed in Wild Salmon and Organic Coconut Oil.
Wholistic Kibble
Beef Meat, Salmon Meatthese are MOSTLY water , TapiocaUMMM this is a GRAIN in a GRAIN FREE??.. , Jicama, Yams, PumpkinOne yes but both??, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherals), Kelp, Flaxseed, Egg, Mangosteen, Cranberries, Blueberries, Suncured Alfalfa MealGrain like, Peas, Parsley, Turkey Tail, CAN we say ICK in a dry food and evan wet I wouldnt want ,Reishi, Garlic, Artichoke, Full spectrum vitamins, chelated minerals.WHAT and what type
Analysis: KCal/cup 434
Protein (min) 34.06% Fat (max)20% Fiber(max) 4% Moisture (max) 10% , Phosphorus 1.46%, Magnesium .28,THis is very very HIGH for a dry food as most for uti health are .07-.09 Taurine .14%, Potassium .7
Raw Food : Moisture <3%
DE CAL/LB 1745 .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

Tapioca does not come from a grain, it comes from a tuber - cassava.
Thank you.. GRAIN like as it reacts in a grain matter in the body

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you elaborate on that a bit please? What do you consider to be "grain-like"? All starches? Or just certain ones with particular characteristics, and if so, what characteristics?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just the ones that react like a grain ... this includes all legumes and regular russet type potatos as in the body they break down like a grain and OFTEN are the allergies( tapicoa is not one since it has NOT shown to be an allergen in Humans ) but it is very sugary, I know I use it in my gluten free to sweeten thing s up"_

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, in contrast, which starches would you consider to be not grain-like?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sweet potato s, yams , turnips... there are a few others like the jicama and parsnips which likely dont but I need to research

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
solid gold has idago moon out in some areas now ...

anyone want to compile the list in one post again??

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*bump* There is great info in this thread!

I finally made it through and wanted to bump to see if there were any changes in the past few years given recalls and brands being sold etc.

An employee at Petco noticed I was well on my way to my 1 bag free of dry food and she suggested I switch the dry food periodically since no one food provides everything needed. I've been feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness for maybe 5 months now, and before that we were on Wellness Core.

BB Wilderness seemed like a better food to me but I can't remember why I thought that. Would you all agree or disagree?

I have the following brands available within a 40 minute drive:
BB Wilderness
Wellness Core
Taste of the Wild
Innova Evo

We're trying TOTW now, and my cats seem a lot hungrier on it which was a surprise. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess it's possible it could be so tasty they want it all the time, but it seems like they are hungry to me.

Innova Evo is the only dry I haven't tried in that list. They both loved the Evo wet.

I'm pretty fortunate because neither seem to be picky. I've never had a dry food they didn't lap up.

Here are some other dry grain free options I've come across but would take a longer drive.

Orijen seems to come highly recommended here but the price is holding me back. I'm not thrilled about ordering online.

SERENGETI
ORIJEN
NV RAW INSTINCT
Felidae
Before Grain Dry Cat Food
Horizon Legacy Grain-Free
Pinnacle Peak Protein Dry Cat Food

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which brand to try next, which ones may not be worth the effort, or any other wisdom?

ETA: dry is only about 1/2 the diet. They also get raw every few days as well as wet everyday. I stockpiled a lot of Wellness grain free and still have about 30 cans left so we won't be switching anytime soon for wet.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2coolCats

*bump* There is great info in this thread!

I finally made it through and wanted to bump to see if there were any changes in the past few years given recalls and brands being sold etc.

An employee at Petco noticed I was well on my way to my 1 bag free of dry food and she suggested I switch the dry food periodically since no one food provides everything needed. I've been feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness for maybe 5 months now, and before that we were on Wellness Core.

BB Wilderness seemed like a better food to me but I can't remember why I thought that. Would you all agree or disagree?

I have the following brands available within a 40 minute drive:
BB Wilderness
Wellness Core
Taste of the Wild
Innova Evo

We're trying TOTW now, and my cats seem a lot hungrier on it which was a surprise. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess it's possible it could be so tasty they want it all the time, but it seems like they are hungry to me.

Innova Evo is the only dry I haven't tried in that list. They both loved the Evo wet.

I'm pretty fortunate because neither seem to be picky. I've never had a dry food they didn't lap up.

Here are some other dry grain free options I've come across but would take a longer drive.

Orijen seems to come highly recommended here but the price is holding me back. I'm not thrilled about ordering online.

SERENGETI
ORIJEN
NV RAW INSTINCT
Felidae
Before Grain Dry Cat Food
Horizon Legacy Grain-Free
Pinnacle Peak Protein Dry Cat Food

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which brand to try next, which ones may not be worth the effort, or any other wisdom?
From BB Wilderness to TOTW - it may be the caloric load per cup??? Or possibly TOTW has a higher carb content/ lower fat??? BB/W - More protein from animal sources??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

From BB Wilderness to TOTW - it may be the caloric load per cup??? Or possibly TOTW has a higher carb content/ lower fat??? BB/W - More protein from animal sources??
Taste is lower in calories...390 per cup ...42 protein 18 fat
Blue Wilderness in chicken ..391 per cup...40protein 18 fat

about the same meat content also ... Taste does have More types of meat

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New foods on the market
Wysong has a No grain no starch.. Epigen... Great idea till I read the list of Glutens of grains...

Blue wilderness has multiple flavors

Taste of the wild added a fish flavor

Evo keeps adding new flavors

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
are "natural flavors" a bad thing as an ingredient...I can't quite figure out exactly what it is or if it's avoidable.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

are "natural flavors" a bad thing as an ingredient...I can't quite figure out exactly what it is or if it's avoidable.
Not one IMHO that is good.. as it can be msg , digest or many other not so desirable things

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Not one IMHO that is good.. as it can be msg , digest or many other not so desirable things
Thanks! The innova evo dry has "natural flavors" as an ingredient which i was surprised to see. I went out this evening and the Evo dry 15lb bag was about $40 and TOTW was about $27.

I ended up going with Evo. TOTW was only available in the fish formula...my cats have never had a problem with fish but I don't know if it's best to avoid for all cats or just ones with problems. For the price difference, I may get the TOTW if they are comparable in quality.

On Evo's website it says the calorie content is 130 g = 1 cup. What does that mean? BBW and TOTW were much higher. Thanks again for the great info!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks! The innova evo dry has "natural flavors" as an ingredient which i was surprised to see. I went out this evening and the Evo dry 15lb bag was about $40 and TOTW was about $27.

I ended up going with Evo. TOTW was only available in the fish formula...my cats have never had a problem with fish but I don't know if it's best to avoid for all cats or just ones with problems.

On Evo's website it says the calorie content is 130 g = 1 cup. What does that mean? BBW and TOTW were much higher. Thanks again for the great info!
roughly 28-30 grams to an ounce so that means in a cup there is roughly 4.5 to 4.75 oz of food... Grain-Free Dry Cat Foods:
Listed in descending order of kcals/cup
kcal/cup
EVO Cat & Kitten 602 calories per cup

http://www.evopet.com/images/EVO-GRAIN-FREE-LEADER.pdf page 7

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

roughly 28-30 grams to an ounce so that means in a cup there is roughly 4.5 to 4.75 oz of food... Grain-Free Dry Cat Foods:
Listed in descending order of kcals/cup
kcal/cup
EVO Cat & Kitten 602 calories per cup

http://www.evopet.com/images/EVO-GRAIN-FREE-LEADER.pdf page 7
Thanks lol I was reading their website way wrong. I feel much better seeing the 602 number. I think the bag will last longer than what i'm used to. I was hesitant to try the EVO dry but doing some reading online i feel a lot better. I hope they like it!!

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks lol I was reading their website way wrong. I feel much better seeing the 602 number. I think the bag will last longer than what i'm used to. I was hesitant to try the EVO dry but doing some reading online i feel a lot better. I hope they like it!!
I use to feed EVO but with the calories being so high, Tessie was getting heavy and when I would feed her less EVO she would always be hungry.
Just be careful how much you feed especially if your only feeding dry.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Taste is lower in calories...390 per cup ...42 protein 18 fat
Blue Wilderness in chicken ..391 per cup...40protein 18 fat

about the same meat content also ... Taste does have More types of meat
Blue Wilderness chicken has 45 Protein

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

Blue Wilderness chicken has 45 Protein
It may or may not.. I used the link off the site
http://bluebuffalo.com/products/cats...-cat-dry.shtml

Let see I have a bag of it
.. My bag which I got about a week ago also says 40and 18... Remember formulas change all the time... Perhaps the % s changed when they reformulated