Grain Free Diet And Loose Stool

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a really great video by Dr. Becker that discusses the effects of carbs (including legumes) on cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it could well be the legumes -- some cats do have difficulty with that. (As do some humans... lentils and chickpeas, in particular, can cause flatulence!)

Another twist is that even though a food is hypoallergenic, that doesn't necessarily that a cat won't be sensitive to it s o even the hypoallergenic Petcurean could be a problem. Negative reactions to foods can be similar even when the causes are different. Here's an article that explains a bit about allergies and intolerances. I saw another good one recently (about allergies and sensitivities) and can see if I can dig that one up, too, if you want!

I bet what you saw about the link to wet food and hyperthyroidism concerned BPA, which can be in the can coating, right? That's definitely something to watch out for; fortunately, a fair number of companies have eliminated it from their cans. Fish can also contribute to thyroid disease.

I hope some wet food might help out. Do you need suggestions or do you already have ideas on what to feed? Are you in North America? (I think so based on the brands you mentioned!) Also, what is your cat's name? :)
Yes what I read for hyperthyroidism was because of the BPA, I just remembered. This information is quite easy to have so I'll check with different food companies!

For the past few days, I gave her Royal Canin's gastro wet food (don't throw rocks! Haha I had these from the time she had diarrhea and wanted to try it, she loved it!). I only had 3 cans so after that I bought the Petcurean Chicken, turkey and duck one. She doesn't want to touch it :(
I'm in Canada! I know a good company for wet food is Canada Fresh or Ziwi peak, I think I'll try these ones, but maybe you have another suggestion? Ziwi Peak is so expensive! I don't really mind spending for my cat but maybe if something is as good, I'll try something a little cheaper :p

Her name is Billie :) She honestly is the nicest cat I ever had (I loved all my cats but she is special). She is like a dog! Always around us, and she is also very annoying haha! (In a good way!)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
This is how much I know about Ziwipeak:

It is a New Zealand company.
They have very few flavors.
All animals are grass-fred or wild caught.
They stopped using carrageenan by popular demand.
You can't find it at any big box pet store or grocery.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziwi Peak generally has a good reputation but watch out because many (most? all? I'm not sure) of their foods have chickpeas. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be!) they added it to thicken the food, replacing the carrageenan they removed, as Daisy6 Daisy6 mentioned.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how much I know about Ziwipeak:

It is a New Zealand company.
They have very few flavors.
All animals are grass-fred or wild caught.
They stopped using carrageenan by popular demand.
You can't find it at any big box pet store or grocery.
I have yet to see Ziwi peak anywhere but online!
It looks like a great product but unfortunately out of our price range =(

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Ziwi Peak generally has a good reputation but watch out because many (most? all? I'm not sure) of their foods have chickpeas. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be!) they added it to thicken the food, replacing the carrageenan they removed, as Daisy6 Daisy6 mentioned.
Yes, they say: we use chickpea as a natural binder for the high meat content ingredients.
But to keep it in context, over are 95% fresh meat, organs, bone and seafood so when used as a thickener rather than a 'filler', it's a minimal amount.
I buy this food, but not constantly as it is expensive.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to see Ziwi peak anywhere but online!
It looks like a great product but unfortunately out of our price range =(
They sell it at one or two of the independent stores near me. Yes, it's pretty expensive!

Yes, they say: we use chickpea as a natural binder for the high meat content ingredients.
But to keep it in context, over are 95% fresh meat, organs, bone and seafood so when used as a thickener rather than a 'filler', it's a minimal amount.
I buy this food, but not constantly as it is expensive.
Yes, absolutely!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell it at one or two of the independent stores near me. Yes, it's pretty expensive!

Yes, absolutely!
I've known a handful of folks who feed Ziwi and I've never heard anything but rave reviews!!!
It sucks it's expensive but I understand that their sourcing and protocols demand that price tag to keep them in business. If they sold it for dirt cheap, they'd be out of business in no time flat!
I figure if nothing else, buy it, try it out, and use it as treats! =D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your recommandations! I also heard about The honest kitchen which seems nice and a little less expensive than Ziwi peak, but without any legumes! I'll wait a little bit since I don't want her digestive system to get upset again, I maybe try one of these brands! They sell Ziwi Peak and The honest kitchen in a little store in my city.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziwipeak gives one of my cats diarrhea
TOTW gave one of our cats screaming diarrhea with anal gland problems as a final thought..
I don't think TOTW is bad. But it did not work for her, which sucks because it was a good option for us at the time in our pre-raw feeding cats days.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just goes to show that all cats are different. That's why I wait to test out a food before I recommend or criticize it. It might look good on paper, but you gotta test it for yourself and look at the poop and pee! :D