Goodbye Mr. Sonic

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On Friday, I had to say goodbye to my favorite fur person, Sonic. He was 12½. He was the smartest, most inquisitive most expressive cat I've ever had or seen. I miss him so much already. He had been perfectly healthy and was right up until the end of November. At the end of that month, we noticed that his second eyelid on his left eye wasn't opening all the way, he had a lump on the left side of his throat and he was drooling every now and then. We took him to the vet and she thought it was an infection, so he was given oral and eye antibiotics. He had another appointment a week later, and had lost half a pound. The vet said that instead of an infection, she thought it was lymphoma. That was so sad to hear.

From that point, he largely stopped eating even when food was quite right in front of him us. However, he was still acting the same. He was running, jumping, wanting to be patted and purring and seemingly not in pain. Toward the end, he had become so skinny, was drooling a lot of the time and was not really cleaning himself anymore. I hated that I had to make an appointment for him from which he would not return, but I had to do it

I'm disabled and will almost certainly unfortunately never have kids (even though that's something I always wanted), so Sonic may have been the closest thing I'll ever have to a son. Way back in 2011, the local animal shelter was having a sale on kittens and one day my parents took me to adopt one as an early Christmas present. Each kitten was in an individual cage and we brought them out one by one see who would be a good fit. When one little gray tabby with huge ears came out of his cage, he wouldn't go back in no matter what. He just kept purring, purring, purring and appeared to be so happy. He even found a way to fit on the headrest of my power wheelchair. I used to tell people that I didn't pick him, he picked me. I just had to bring him home.

When he used to sleep, he would do these cute little snores that weren't at all loud and obnoxious like those of a person. Last Friday, when it was time for his suffering to end after he was finished exploring that room, he was put on my lap and promptly began purring. After that administered the sedatives, he flopped over onto my lap and was purring/snoring as he began to go to sleep forever. It was so sad and I hated that I had to do it. I really miss him so much. I didn't stay the whole time to watch him die, but did stay into the sedation.

Note: if anything does make thanked in this post, it's because I use a speech recognition program that tends to make a lot of mistakes and I don't always find them. The headset also tends to pick up any audio that is being played, which is obnoxious. I usually catch the mistakes, but don't always catch all of them, so there might be sentences/words that don't make sense.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats CAN be so much like family, can’t they? You did well: 12 1/2 is pretty good! He got love & compassion from beginning to end, purring peacefully on your lap. I am so sorry. He looks lovely in the photos. ❤
They are totally members of the family. I'm what that I was able to give him a good home in the time we had together. I shudder to think what would've happened had he gone home with people who would be abusive and/or neglectful. I don't know how anyone can do stuff like that.

And yes, he certainly was a lovely kitty . He was the supervisor, the boss, the King. We are struggling without him. The last time I cried was in seventh grade after getting turned down by a girl in my first ever attempt. Since then, I've been through the deaths of two grandparents and of the cat and dog I had growing up as a child, as well a spinal cord injury nine days before my 22nd birthday. I don't recall any of that making me cry. I didn't think I was able to cry. However, the death of sonic caused me to shed some tears. I keep half expecting to come into my room and see him putting a crater into my mattress as he frequently like to do or to see him walk in the door in the middle of the night and settle down at the foot of the bed. Unfortunately, that is exceedingly unlikely to happen.

I'm not a jewelry guy at all, but my mom made me bracelet with a claw, a whisker and a fur of his. I will have to keep it with me for a long time. I also have his collar on my desk and I pick it up and shake it every now and then to hear it jingle.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, maybe one way to see it is Sonic gave you the gift to feel. To take time out to permit the grief. (He wouldn’t want you to grieve forever, btw). Cats are such uplifting, precocious little creatures that their ultimate gift is love—- he would want you to be happy!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little soul! The bond of love between your two sould will be very strong. Nothing can break that or take it from you. Love is spiritual, so eternal. The new path he follows will always parallel your own. I'm sure he was a great comfort for you over the years, cats don't care who you are, they just respond to love.
Go froward into the future adn live it as you would want for him if you were the first to go, he wants no different because that is love.
One day the sorrow you feel now will change into thankfullness fro having him share his life with you. But that is in the future. Just take one day at a time, day by day for now. My condolences are with you for your loss......RIP precious Mr. Sonic. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I'm so very sorry. I've lost two beloved kitties to lymphoma, it's so sad.

They are family members and it's so heartbreaking to lose them. My heart goes out to you. :hugs:

Rest in peace, little Sonic. :rbheart:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

:hugs:

You really were very lucky to have found each other. These special ones stay with you forever, you'll never forget that special bond you have.

There will never be another Sonic, but I'm sure there will be other special cats in your life. They're waiting to pick you when you're ready.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sonic needed you, and you needed him. It's amazing how somehow, we manage to all find the ones we really need. Sonic was a beautiful cat. 12 1/2 is a very good, long life for a cat, but for those of us who are left to mourn, 80 years wouldn't be enough.
I am so sorry for your loss. Hearing the vet say our pets have cancer is such a devastating experience.
I am not a person who cries a lot. But the past few pet losses have been cancer (either suddenly, or a long battle) and each and every time, tears were shed. I cried for myself and how horrible I felt, but I cried for them especially, because there was no way to explain to them what was wrong, and what our options were. To have gone through so much in your life so far and have Sonic's loss be the thing to bring you to tears tells me your bond was, is, and always will be un-breakable and strong. :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sonic, dream you deep. Your purrs echo in someone's heart forever.

What a lovely tribute to a very special cat! Isn't it odd that we go to rescue a cat, and in the end, we realize that the cat rescued us? And that bond is like nothing else in this world. Sonic saw you and KNEW that he could live, breathe and have his very being wrapped in your love, and you in his. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Sonic blesses you, and he sends his Love back to you, to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides. That Love is also not jealous, so don't be shocked if Sonic, when the time is right, guides another companion to you.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My special cat was also called Sonic, he has been gone 2 years now and my heart is still broken.
I can enjoy life now but it still hurts to think about him and I miss him every day - but it does get easier to bear.

My condolences for your sad loss :(

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really missing my kitty. I still can't believe he's gone. RIP Puss Puss. I found some pictures I'd like to share. Also pictured is my mom's cat, Elsa and Sonic and Elsa's nemesis, my brother' dog, Sky

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm really missing my kitty. I still can't believe he's gone. RIP Puss Puss. I found some pictures I'd like to share. Also pictured is my mom's cat, Elsa and Sonic and Elsa's nemesis, my brother' dog, Sky
I love the photos, thank you so much for sharing them. :)
I am sorry you hurt. I've lost a lot of pets in the past few years, and every single loss hurt deeply. It really helped me to build a little memorial area for them in my home with photos, memorabilia, little cat or angel statues, or just little things that make me think of them. Years ago I was at a pharmacy waiting in line, and noticed a little ornament of a kitten snoozing in a hammock for sale near the register. I didn't know why at the time, but I decided I had to have it, and bought it on a whim. Now, it's hanging over their little memorial area and it helps bring me comfort.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love the photos, thank you so much for sharing them. :)
I am sorry you hurt. I've lost a lot of pets in the past few years, and every single loss hurt deeply. It really helped me to build a little memorial area for them in my home with photos, memorabilia, little cat or angel statues, or just little things that make me think of them. Years ago I was at a pharmacy waiting in line, and noticed a little ornament of a kitten snoozing in a hammock for sale near the register. I didn't know why at the time, but I decided I had to have it, and bought it on a whim. Now, it's hanging over their little memorial area and it helps bring me comfort.
It really does hurt. I miss him dearly. It's a shame he had to go so early. I've shed tears for the first time in 20+ years, which I feel I'm not supposed to do as a male in my 30s. I'm more of a memory than physical thing kind of guy, but I do have many pictures and I have his collar on my desk, which I pick up and jingle every now and then.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some more pics of him. My favorite is the one of him as a kitten with two inside-out ears. His ears looked huge when he was a kitten, but he grew into them.

Attachments