Goodbye, Mr. Hissypants

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Mr. Hissypants, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on my heart forever.

Early yesterday morning, a large dog, either Siberian Husky or Malamute, came up on the porch that I share with my darling neighbor, Jazzie, and snatched Mr. Hissypants (one of the ferals I feed) up by the backend. We both heard the commotion, and ran out, and were growled at aggressively as we tried to frighten the dog into dropping HP. He took off with Mr. Hissypants in his mouth, eventually dropping him in a yard across the parking lot. We called the police, but the dog left JUST before they got there. I gave the officer a blanket from my bed to wrap Mr. Hissypants in to transport him, HOPING that a familiar scent would be of come comfort, as he had begun to seek strokes and affection from me. The officer told us that either both back legs or his back, or possibly both, were broken, and he would almost certainly be euthanized, which, it breaks my heart to say, I expected from the violence of the attack. He left to take HP to the vet, and we spoke with the other officers, who then went to search for the dog. Both A. J. and Cassidy were present when the dog came, and took off. Have not seen them since, but didn't really expect to for at least 2-3 days.

My heart is broken, yet again. But Mr. Hissypants had several weeks of being stroked, and told what a fine tomcat he was. I am so glad he had that.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh Bek, I'm so sorry!

How awful for you. It must have been terrible to witness something like that. I'm glad that you and your neighbour weren't hurt.

Poor Mr Hissypants. At least he had people there to help him pass without having to suffer for too long. My heart with yours. 💕 I know how attached we get to our feral wards, especially the ones that will only allow us to love them on their own terms.

:hugs:

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I’m so very sorry, how awful!! But yes, thank goodness there were people there so Mr Hissypants didn’t have to suffer long. Poor sweet baby. I’m so thankful he had you to feed him and stroke him and show him love.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's my hope that the owners of the dog are found, and cited heavily, for this incident. By law, the dog was out of their control and off their property, and they should be held heavily responsible for this. Situations like this make me so, so angry.
I am so sorry Bek. Mr. Hissypants and Goofy are now, I'm sure, fast friends and are waiting for us in that Special Place.
Light a Candle - Grateful Living Practice - Grateful.org For anyone who so desires, for any reason at any time.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Mamany. My heart is broken right alongside yours. At least the cruelty of a feral’s life is alleviated by saints like you. I find myself fearing for your others, and this dog roaming free. My mind races to…some way to prevent dogs from coming onto the porch? A hidey hole under the porch? Trying to find the owner? I am sure your blanket brought some comfort in his final moments. You can’t predict these things but you did all you could for dear Mr. Hissypants.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. You showed him true love and friendship. He will hold onto that in his heart while he waits for you at the bridge. You and he formed a friendship that is forever. :rbheart:

Thankfully you and your neighbor didn't get hurt. :hugs:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Mr. Hissypants! No animal deserves that. I'm sure it was traumatic to witness and feeling helpless. So sorry... you cared for him and gave him some of the only kindness he may have ever really experienced. May he rest.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my God, I am SO sorry! What a nightmare! You will be traumatized for a long time, my heart goes out to you all......
He had the comfort of knowing someone he loved, who loved him took care of him after the attack. Bless you for trying to help him. My heart breaks. You are on this site giving comfort whenever you can, i pray you, yourself, find comfort too.
You will always be tied to his little heart, the bonds of love can never be taken from you. His little soul will rest in peace because he has your love, he will continue to send his love forever, as you will too.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, noone should have to go through this.....RIP Mr. Hissypants. You will never be frogotten. you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May teh good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, everyone. Each message meant so very much to me. I am happy to report that both A. J. and Cassiday showed up to eat last night, so they are safe, at least. SIGH...and Mr. Hissypants is safe as well. I asked my Dad to keep an eye on him, and give him pats from me.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a shocking thing indeed!
Poor Mr. Hissypants, he had just started knowing the love of a carer and the beauty of strokes, this is so unfair, but I am sure that his last thoughts were for you, he remembered the wonderful days in your porch and the good food you would gave him, and that helped him pass peacefully, knowing that he gave and received enough love.
RIP Mr. Hissypants.