Goodbye and RIP Coon

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Took me some time to be able to post this, and I'm still having a hard time... I had to put my cat Coon down a week ago (on the 10th). He was the second cat I got when I moved to Canada to be with my now husband. He was advertised as a "Maine coon kitten" but no papers or anything to prove it, it didn't matter though he was my big fluffy boy. Even after getting other cats over the years he was still my baby boy. When he was young he managed to unlock and open a door before we got him neutered, which resulted in a young female cat I had getting pregnant with a litter of four female cats (which I still have, so at least I still have a part of him for now). He loved that female, even when she was a young kitten they would be sleeping cuddled up together, he never really liked his daughters, but tolerated them. He also never liked dogs, which was unfortunate for him since I have had dogs since I move here, but he made sure to let them know who was boss and to leave him alone. Surprisingly enough he really seemed to like the youngest cats I have, a litter my husband rescued, he seemed to soften a bit in his old age.

He was a couple weeks shy of 16, but had not been doing well for a few months. I think the hardest part is I was in denial, I wanted so much to believe that he wasn't really dying and that it was just the other cats not allowing him to eat enough, so I started feeding him on his own and hoped he would get better. He lost a lot of weight, despite getting unlimited food, and sadly he had had enough and quit eating or drinking the previous day, so I knew it was time. The fact that I didn't want to believe it, and how days seem to blur together the past couple years, made it seem so sudden, but in reality it wasn't, all the signs were there even if I tried to turn a blind eye. The only "sudden" part was taking him in to the vet and having him put down, I hadn't planned that and had even bought him new foods for him to try the day before in hope he would eat. I took him in still hoping something could be done, but also knew in the back of my mind that there probably wasn't and his time with me on this side was coming to an end. He was in kidney failure, I didn't opt for farther blood tests though, and they wouldn't have saved or helped him anyway, only confirm that he was in fact in end stage.

Here is a couple pics of him from a week before he passed.

20220209_194603.jpg 20220303_152136.jpg

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
How beautiful he was!

I'm so sorry for your loss! I am confident he knew how much you loved him! You made one of the hardest choices I feel like we can ever make, yet did it out of the unconditional love you had for your boy - you're amazing and he knew it. I'm thinking of you during this time. <3

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Coon, dream you deep! Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever!

What a grand old man he was, is, and always will be! You did your very best for your boy his entire life. I don't know which is worse...to be in that denial and then have the inevitable sprung on you, or to see it coming from afar, and watch, helpless. They are both heartbreaking, each in its own way. But this I do know...Coon lived, breathed and had his being safe in your love, and he left this Adventure for his Next Great Adventure still there. And now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you, and he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful, expressive boy......It's so hard to have to say goodbye, even when we know the end is inevitable, the actual event is always completely soul-shattering. He sounds so much like my Burt, he too took a sudden turn for the worse when he was 16, a big beautiful boy that will always be missed.
Yoru sweet boy is at peace because he has a lifetime of love to hold dear in his heart. You gave him his everything, a home, care, and all the love that comes with it. There is NEVER enough time with the ones we love, none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
It's not an accident he had those daughters, he wanted to leave something of himself in your care, he knew you would open your heart to them too.
Go forward into the future and seek life's beauty and happiness, just as you would want for him to go forward if you were the first to go. He would never want to bring too much sadness into your life for too long, he loves you too much.
He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, he will live on through your memories and those precious daughters. Love is spiritual, so eternal. In times such as these, I always think of a wonderful quote....."do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
My heart cries for your pain. Time is the only thing that helps with matters of the heart. There is a time for everything, and unfortunately, grief has to be a part of our lives too. Death is not a permanent parting of the souls, that can never be, it is a bittersweet goodbye, until we meet again.
RIP dear Coon. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord accept you with open arms, may you find a warm lap among the angels. Rest easy, dear one. For eternity.......

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh My, what a beautiful boy!!! I am so very sorry. He has been welcomed a the Bridge by all the beautiful girls
and I have a feeling my Vincie girl wants a new steady. He is in good hands.

God, it hurts so badly when they go....that gutted feeling... but you will deal with it. We are all here for you.

Love,
Mia💖💞 :rbheart: :hugs:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, sweet boy. It's so hard to admit what we know in our hearts to be true, and let them go. My heart goes out to you. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweet little Coon. :rbheart: