"Good" dishes

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bunch of mix-and-match and hand-me-down stuff. Guests can starve if they don't like mismatched dishes. I'll go buy stuff at the hardware store if I break all I have of one item.
To be truthful, Mom did buy me a set of dishes over 40 years ago now, but almost all of them are gone, except for the teacups and saucers. Those never get used and are still sitting, in pristine condition, on the top shelf of the cabinet above the dishwasher. I probably should pitch them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a set of Haviland Blue Garland china before I moved to Arizona. I had to leave it behind since I was going across the country from east to west coast. To my happy surprise I found a few pieces in thrift shops and kept buying them until I had a set. Sometime around the beginning of covid I decided that pretty things are meant to be enjoyed not just with company. We are special, we are the one who should be using and enjoying our beautiful things. Not saving them to be given away to family or strangers. I'm using my ' good ' dishes every day!

View attachment 411583
Those are very pretty! My grandmother's set was a similar style but light blue. I love the edges of the plates; very elegant.

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What we use at the colony I help manage is stainless steel bowls from Dollar Tree - 24 bowls was $24. That's two bowls a day (for wet food), 14 per week, and that gives us enough to collect on the weekends, throw in the dishwasher, and bring back before we are totally out. No problem w/ kitty acne (like plastic gives), and they take a beating. The cats toss them off the shelves, use them as tambourines or hats, whatever. Been using them daily for 3 years now.

They have small (big enough for 1 cat to shove their face in) and large (2-3 cats at a time).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
After my grandma died my mom was trying to find someone who wanted her good china and couldn't find ANY takers. She put it up for free on Facebook, tried to sell it (very cheap) at several yard sales, nope. She finally said forget it and dropped it at Goodwill, whatever they did with it, not her problem any more. There aren't a lot of people who have the patience and space for dishes they don't use often.
Unfortunately I may end up bringing my mother's dishes to Savers. I'm going to try to see if an antique place or vntage store has any interest in her really old ones first, but they are not attractive dishes -

IMG_2854 (2).jpg

The other sets are newer so a place like that will not be interested -

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got my house they had a house warming party for me at work and they got me a nice set if dishes. I never even opened the package. I used paper plates. I donated them to the Human Soceity when they had a yard sale. After awhile I got tired of using paper plates and I brought some plates, bowls and mugs at the Dollar Tree. I lived alone and did not have people over to eat so that worked out fine for me. I am very low maintenance.

Last edited: