Golf Course Kitty is a stray?

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Hoomans: I have seen a young (less than 1 yo) kitty on our local golf course 3 times in the last 2 weeks. He is VERY friendly and almost runs into my arms. He loves to be petted and rolls in the dirt while I scratch his back. I can feel his backbone — he is very skinny. When my husband took out a ziploc bag he immediately paid attention (thinking it was food) and rubbed on my husband’s legs. He, obviously has had some contact with hoomans, but is he a stray in need of my help, or is he just a kitty who belongs to a careless bunch of hoomans? I would love to take him home, since my girl Petal, died on October 31 at 17 yo. I have a cat less home. How do I find out if he has been dumped, or if he is someone’s kitty? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks 🙀

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My previous house was on the 18th green of a country club golf course and the entire area was a huge dumping ground for dogs and cats. When we moved, I took with me 2 dogs and 3 cats who had been abandoned. Next door neighbor had a cat who walked right off the green and up to her back door asking for food.

Golf courses are like schools, cemetaries, and parking lots which are great dumping grounds because the dumper always tells him/herself that "someone" will come by and take the animal.

Fiona herself was a rescue from the area I just mentioned. I found her as a tiny kitten, about 5 weeks old, in the middle of a huge local park one Sunday morning early. No chance that she just decided to take a walk and ended up right in the middle of no man's land.

If the cat expected food, he is abandoned in my experience. If by some chance he has an owner and is lost, you will see signs eventually. I agree that you should take the cat and give him a home.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
One way to see for sure if he is homeless is to take him to the vet. They can scan for a microchip. If he has neither a chip or a collar you can take him in.

Please do take him in and keep him safe indoors if he has no home. You may want to isolate him to a spare room initially until you are sure he has no parasites or bugs that could spread through the house.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but packs of coyotes roamed the golf course at night, so if the cat is living there permanently he needs to have protection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys: Thanks for your replies. The golf course is backed by houses on 3 sides. There are no coyotes here, but we have bald eagles and red tail hawks that might take him, not to mention people’s dogs walking with owners off leash. Oh yes, then there’s the parking lot with cars zooming in and out. I’m going to call the vet and start the process.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is VERY friendly and almost runs into my arms. He loves to be petted and rolls in the dirt while I scratch his back. I can feel his backbone — he is very skinny. When my husband took out a ziploc bag he immediately paid attention (thinking it was food) and rubbed on my husband’s legs. He, obviously has had some contact with hoomans, but is he a stray in need of my help
With this behavior and being skinny, definitely a stray with no owners.

Agree with all the above, please take him in.

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi: Our vet here will scan kitty for a microchip. Last night I went on a rescue mission to find him. My kitty did not come :(. But…another one was there and had a huge cut on his head. Also very friendly and likely no fixed cat-dress. Very hungry also. Oh boy….I’m going to do the very best I can for them.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If someone that lives on the golf course has lost him maybe the pro shop will know something I would check just to be sure You can go ahead and bring him in If his owners are found Happy Reunion If not you have saved him Good Luck!

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will check with the Pro Shop first. I really want to help them. Also, the City Animal Control will come for the kitty with the head wound. It was healing over, but is a couple of inches long and has caused a lot of fur loss on his/her head.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is probably best for the injured kitty and hopefully he might be treated and adopted.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will check with the Pro Shop first. I really want to help them. Also, the City Animal Control will come for the kitty with the head wound. It was healing over, but is a couple of inches long and has caused a lot of fur loss on his/her head.
If you are willing and able to take both, and presuming they get along with eachother, that would be the best thing for them.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
C Cat Grrl
Oh I hope the original kitty was found and taken in by someone. I would go again with some food and see if you can tempt him out. He may be more weakened if still there and has not had any food. How long has it been since you last saw the first fellow?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to check with Alley Cat Allies and see if they have anyone in your area to help you and these cats. They have a list of people in areas with experience in rescue, TNR, etc.

Here is a link to their site:

Home

Send them an email and I am sure they will try to point you in the right direction with someone in your area or a rescue group.

Personally, I always worry about Animal Control getting involved.

You are so wonderful for helping these cats. THANK YOU for caring!!!

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have rescued and adopted the first kitty. She had no microchip or tattoo. She has lived with hoomans before. She is a lovely kitty, I just can’t believe she was dumped, but….who knows? I have posted her on a local lost cat site and 2 other places. I keep checking for “lost cat” posters. I hope and pray no one claims her, but am willing to give her back, if someone claims her and the hoomans can answer some specific questions about her behaviour and location when lost and more, plus if they have photos of her. If she is still owned, what careless people to let their cat roam a golf course day and night!
Have you been able to bring the first cat in?
I think she was dumped. She was hungry and roaming the golf course asking hoomans for food. I have named her Purry. (I stole the name from someone on this site, sorry)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is great news! If someone does show up and you really want to keep her, ask if you can adopt her from them. Sometimes people who own cats but are not good caretakers are willing to let the cat be taken off their hands....I have gotten a few cats that way over the years, and at least one dog.

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is great news! If someone does show up and you really want to keep her, ask if you can adopt her from them. Sometimes people who own cats but are not good caretakers are willing to let the cat be taken off their hands....I have gotten a few cats that way over the years, and at least one dog.
Thanks for that great tip. I live in fear of seeing her beautiful face on a “lost” poster. If hoomans show up and can verify it is their cat, I will certainly ask them if I can adopt her! Great idea!