Going To Vet Must Be An Extremely Painful Experience For Cats!

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two weeks ago I took mt cat Rose to the Vet to get her shots up-to-date; when we returned home she spend most of the day hiding in the cabinets or under the bed. This hiding phase lasted for about two days and now she have trust issue. Now if she sees me grabbing my car keys or putting my shoes on, she would immediately go into hiding. She will eventually get over it but I wonder if this is normal for cats to have behavior change after vet visit?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is this the first time Rose has been to the vet? It seems that this trip was particularly stressful for her!! I would almost wonder about trying a new vet next time, but the thing of it is, is that you don't know if perhaps she ended up right next to a loudly barking dog, or a mean, nasty angry cat which could happen no matter where you go.
My Big Guy remains difficult to get to the vet/any vet to this day, after he was in a new building that our then-vet-clinic built a few years ago. They didn't sound proof it AT ALL, and the interior is a big cavernous open area and so the barking of dogs is amplified tremendously. Plus the vet tech didn't listen to me and liberally used feliway after I told her not to since it has no effect for him. Then the (new) vet herself was holding on to his head while trying to talk to me, and lost her grip enough for him to struggle a bit while the tech was drawing blood with this large needle sticking into his neck - grrr.

In any case, if you're interested, you could try one or two calming products such as feliway diffusers, both for now to help her and for future vet trips or any other possible car trip since I'm guessing that this will, unfortunately stay in her memory, poor baby.
Take a look at this thread, and also the thread link that is mentioned in post #6 of this one
Calming Treats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While every visit may not be painful, for some cats it is, and always will be, stressful. She will get better with time, but do try those calming treats!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww... I think two days is a long time to be hiding. Have you tried reestablishing yourself with her by playing with her? Maybe with a fun wand toy with feathers on it, or offering her some regular treats? Does she like grooming? My cats will come running whenever they see me get the comb out.