Going To Make Dr. Piersons Recipe Tomorrow, Anyone Have Any Problems With It?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you using chicken thighs, or whole chickens? And which mix did you select on the Hare Today rabbit?

Whole chickens need to have boneless meat added, whereas chicken thighs are fine whole since you are using all the skin.

Similarly, whole carcass rabbit usually needs some boneless meat added to cut the bone content (which is one reason Pierson's recipe has a pound of chicken to 2 pounds of ground rabbit carcass), but they do sell a ground rabbit product which is not whole carcass and is closer to the 80/10/10 ratio. If you purchased the latter, you should be good.

Hard to advise when I'm not sure what cuts you're using. Balancing the meat to bone content is very important.
Similar question in regard to much smellier stool?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Similar question in regard to much smellier stool?
You have 2 cats right? You switched both to a raw diet at the same time? Are both of them having soft, smelly stools or are you only having the issue with one of the two cats?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have 2 cats right? You switched both to a raw diet at the same time? Are both of them having soft, smelly stools or are you only having the issue with one of the two cats?
Not exactly. My oldest one, 6 month, is all raw. The younger one usually eats what little raw my older one doesn't finish.The younger one is 4 months. Younger one has no effect. Thought to be honest my 6month old does seem to struggle to eat a lot.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have them both on a wormer schedule? I'd suspect possible worms to be the cause of soft, stinky poop before the raw diet, as long as you are following the recipe precisely and getting the right ratio of meat/bones/organs.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have them both on a wormer schedule? I'd suspect possible worms to be the cause of soft, stinky poop before the raw diet, as long as you are following the recipe precisely and getting the right ratio of meat/bones/organs.
Will get her another appointment. But I should probably mention her history if you are interested... When I first got her on november 20th, we thought she was 12 week kitten. I got her from a rescue that got her from a kill shelter. First night she did great, loved to be home and purred nonstop. She ate fine, although in hindsight I probably underfed her. I took her to a vet the next day and she had a 102.5, the vet said it was normal and to watch over her. She seemed fine until Friday where she was coughing a bit more than normal.

So I took her to the emergency vet where they said she had a case of URI, and put her on Clavamox. She didn't get better and by Monday she was having clear white diarrhea. She had to be hospitalized for five days. When she got home she was deathly lethargic. She would have dirrahea everywhere, although she did go to the litter to pee. The next monday I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with calcivirus. When started new medication and she slowly got better over time. However she's never being a great eater, and the slightest change in her diet caused diarrhea. We also found looking at her adult teeth that she is probably 18 weeks, and she probably will be a tiny kitten due to the early disease problems. All in all the medication talking to various doctors probably costed me $4,000.

My younger kitten is only a pound lighter but a lot smaller.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZ0S1zSkKw6WVGvo2

Just in case you were curious.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you went through all that with her, but you certainly have a generous heart to have saved her from a kill shelter.

Those kittens look healthy from the photo you posted. How much do they weigh? The "average" kitten is about a pound per month, or 4 pounds at 4 months and 6 pounds at 6 months.

With all the meds she had to be on, the vet may not have wanted to add a wormer to the mix? I'm still inclined to think that the lose poop and particularly because it's very smelly could be worms if the vet hasn't put the kitties on a wormer schedule.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you went through all that with her, but you certainly have a generous heart to have saved her from a kill shelter.

Those kittens look healthy from the photo you posted. How much do they weigh? The "average" kitten is about a pound per month, or 4 pounds at 4 months and 6 pounds at 6 months.

With all the meds she had to be on, the vet may not have wanted to add a wormer to the mix? I'm still inclined to think that the lose poop and particularly because it's very smelly could be worms if the vet hasn't put the kitties on a wormer schedule.
Lilo is 27 weeks tomorrow and 4 pounds and 13 ounces, I weight her every night, and she's being hovering at this weight for the last two weeks not really gaining much.

Sawyer is 17 weeks at 4 pounds.

Lilo's definitely being through two rounds of dewormer.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Sawyer seems to be doing great, and Lilo is the kitty who you're concerned about. Given her past health history and the current issue with loose and "very stinky" stools, I'd get her back to the vet for another exam and recommendations.

In healthy cats, the poop from a raw food diet has no smell at all. It's really kind of amazing.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Sawyer seems to be doing great, and Lilo is the kitty who you're concerned about. Given her past health history and the current issue with loose and "very stinky" stools, I'd get her back to the vet for another exam and recommendations.

In healthy cats, the poop from a raw food diet has no smell at all. It's really kind of amazing.
Yeah going to try and make an appointment this week. Granted I would say Sawyer has being eating 33% of the raw food as part of his diet. Any guesses what's causing this for Lilo?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I'm about out of guesses.

You need to make sure you are following a raw food recipe exactly to make sure it's balanced.
Even a slightly imbalanced recipe should not cause very stinky poops, but could cause loose stools.
Very stinky poops could very well be caused by internal parasites, either common worms or the tougher worms like giardia or coccidia. Not all worms show up in fecal exams and the standard dose of wormer will not kill the tougher parasites. You need to ask the vet about the possibility of those harder to kill parasites, especially since she originally came from a kill shelter environment.

If the vet checks Lilo out again and finds nothing, I'm afraid you're back to square one, and she may just have a genetically weak digestive system. Hopefully the vet can help you get to the bottom of the problem, and also hope that there is an easy cure for her issues.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I'm about out of guesses.

You need to make sure you are following a raw food recipe exactly to make sure it's balanced.
Even a slightly imbalanced recipe should not cause very stinky poops, but could cause loose stools.
Very stinky poops could very well be caused by internal parasites, either common worms or the tougher worms like giardia or coccidia. Not all worms show up in fecal exams and the standard dose of wormer will not kill the tougher parasites. You need to ask the vet about the possibility of those harder to kill parasites, especially since she originally came from a kill shelter environment.

If the vet checks Lilo out again and finds nothing, I'm afraid you're back to square one, and she may just have a genetically weak digestive system. Hopefully the vet can help you get to the bottom of the problem, and also hope that there is an easy cure for her issues.
Hello okay thanks!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you bought whole carcass rabbit from hare today you can just mix the slurry (vitamin, fish oil, water,egg) mix and be good to go.

My cat has a sensitive stomach. Until fully on raw if poop was stinky I kept with feeding plain fage and tummyworks. Once a vet says it is ok to use probiotics you could give that a try. If they aren't fully on raw then poop can be all over the place soft and smelly.

What food are you feeding that's not raw. Please include treats.

I use the feline nutrition raw recipe. I keep food at 80meat/10 bone/ 5 liver/5 other organs.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you bought whole carcass rabbit from hare today you can just mix the slurry (vitamin, fish oil, water,egg) mix and be good to go.

My cat has a sensitive stomach. Until fully on raw if poop was stinky I kept with feeding plain fage and tummyworks. Once a vet says it is ok to use probiotics you could give that a try. If they aren't fully on raw then poop can be all over the place soft and smelly.

What food are you feeding that's not raw. Please include treats.

I use the feline nutrition raw recipe. I keep food at 80meat/10 bone/ 5 liver/5 other organs.
The one I got was 75% meat 15% bone 10% organ [liver, pancreas, kidney]

Product | Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

I usually do feed her a lot of temptation treats, and I know a lot of people say their not good for them, but she likes them... Though I haven't given any to her for two days now.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Temptation treats could be causing soft and smelly poop. Pull them.

The above needs to be mixed to bring down the bone content. Most of us feed 10% bone. Too much bone can cause constipation.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Temptation treats could be causing soft and smelly poop. Pull them.

The above needs to be mixed to bring down the bone content. Most of us feed 10% bone. Too much bone can cause constipation.
Ehh but I've being feeding them temptations for 4 months and never had any negative effects?

But everyone else said I should use more bone because I used all the skin?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like the soft and very stinky poop is a negative effect. Hard to say if it's imbalanced recipe or too many temptations or worms or other medical issue.

When you were making the recipe with all thigh meat, you needed to keep more bones than the recipe because you were keeping a lot more skin than the recipe. Every time you purchase a different protein or cut of meat you need to balance the ratios to an 80/10/10 (meat/bone/organ with half of the organ as liver).

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seems like the soft and very stinky poop is a negative effect. Hard to say if it's imbalanced recipe or too many temptations or worms or other medical issue.

When you were making the recipe with all thigh meat, you needed to keep more bones than the recipe because you were keeping a lot more skin than the recipe. Every time you purchase a different protein or cut of meat you need to balance the ratios to an 80/10/10 (meat/bone/organ with half of the organ as liver).
Okay will do. Sadly I already made two months worth of chicken and rabbit. 6 month cat still having soft stool, 4 month one not. Should I just keep going and be more careful next time? Neither show any difference really.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be all right with the batches you made. You said the rabbit you ordered is 75/15/10. 15% bone is the upper-limit I would put in a mix. Most people shoot for 10% bone out of a range of 5%-15%. The extra bone may help firm up your 6 month old's stools.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should be all right with the batches you made. You said the rabbit you ordered is 75/15/10. 15% bone is the upper-limit I would put in a mix. Most people shoot for 10% bone out of a range of 5%-15%. The extra bone may help firm up your 6 month old's stools.
Maybe I should just put in one and a half pound of chicken thigh(no bone) to balance it out? Do you think it's still a bone problem? Her stool also still smells really bad.

IDK, my younger female 6 month gets soft stool very easily, like I said she had a lot of health problems. The 4 month seems to be able to take anything and never had soft stool much less diarrhea.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going to schedule an appointment with my vet for my older cat. Are there really any tests that I can ask to be performed? I know a blood test doesn't really show anything.