Going on vacation for 12 days

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m leaving this Saturday to go see family out of state and I’m leaving my cat Cleo home. I’ve gone out of town before but this is the longest she’ll be left home and I’m feeling EXTREMELY guilty. I’m crying just thinking about it hahah I know she’ll be way more comfortable home than at a boarder or someone else’s house, I’ve tried that before and she was not happy.
I have a ring camera, and someone stopping by everyday for at least an hour but I still feel like I’m being a bad cat mom. Has anyone else left their cat for this long and have any advice? She’s my first cat so I’m sure I’m just extra anxious about it but

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it was quite that long, but definitely a week. I boarded Friday once and it was a disaster (he was attacked by another cat and had nightmares for weeks afterward). So after that I started having a local petsitting company come by once a day and take care of him; they send a little update with pictures after every visit which is wonderful.

I know it's hard. Even leaving him alone for one night makes me really antsy. But you're not a bad cat mom and she'll be fine. You've gotten everything squared away and she'll be well cared for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if it was quite that long, but definitely a week. I boarded Friday once and it was a disaster (he was attacked by another cat and had nightmares for weeks afterward). So after that I started having a local petsitting company come by once a day and take care of him; they send a little update with pictures after every visit which is wonderful.

I know it's hard. Even leaving him alone for one night makes me really antsy. But you're not a bad cat mom and she'll be fine. You've gotten everything squared away and she'll be well cared for.
We changed our flight so now we are only gone for 11 days 😂😅😅 THANK you so much for your response it’s definitely mellowed me out

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was gone for 2 weeks. I had someone check in every day. They sent pictures. It helped ease my mind that he was doing okay. You're leaving your cat at home where you know she's most comfortable - that's good! Go on your vacation, try to be present, and see if your sitter will send you updates for peace of mind.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think the longest we were ever gone was 10 days. We were fortunate to have a wonderful pet sitter who lived nearby. She came twice a day and even brought her dinner to the house to keep our cat company while she watched Wheel of Fortune. :biggrin: She left detail notes and texted me regularly. Can the person watching your cat send you texts along with pics? As others have said, enjoy your trip and, as you said, Cleo will be much more comfortable in her own home. Best of luck! 🤗

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve been gone for 12 or more days a few times. It’s really hard, I worry about them all the time. We have sitters come twice a day to feed and do litter boxes, but they don’t stay to spend time with the cats. We figure since we have three, they can keep each other company. The sitters will text and send pictures occasionally. The cats have been just fine whenever we come home, and the homecomings are wonderful! Especially bedtime, when the whole gang is piled into bed again.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been gone for 10 days we have a cat sitter who stops in and looks in on the cats. As much as we love our cats I think they kind of enjoy having the house to themselves. I don't feel guilty about leaving them although I am looking forward to getting home and seeing them. Like Arr's comment above homecoming seems to be a lovefest reunion. Although we do have one cat that basically snubs us for the first hour or so.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My second cat was very 'bonded' and affectionate, and I was worried about leaving him with just a sitter if I would be gone more than a few days. I was fortunate to find a neighbor whose daughter would actually live in my house while I was away. It worked out great because he bonded quickly with her and hardly missed me at all!