going on holiday for a few days - any extra advice?

mmylosx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, i have an 8 month old cat & i will be leaving to go on holiday out of the country tomorrow and will be returning on tuesday. this means that he’ll be alone for 4 days (leaving around about 11am tomorrow and returning around 7pm? on tuesday).

i’ve convinced my uncle to come and check in on him every morning and if possible every evening too which can be difficult sometimes as we’ve just had something go on in my family. i know that my cat is not disturbed by his presence and is also quite fond of his son. during this time, i’ll be restricting my cat to just the living room as i do when i go out usually, this is where his cat tree, food & litter tray are located, i will be unplugging majority of the wires in here as well. he’s not a wire chewer but god knows what he’ll be getting up to whilst being left alone for that long.

my uncle most likely wont have time to interact with him fully, especially in the mornings as he has work most days & will sometimes only be able to give him food & water before leaving. however, i do believe that he has 2 days off during my holiday as it is which could give him some time to hangout with my cat alongside my cousin but they probably can’t stay for more than 30 mins at most. i will also be going out later today to grab a security camera for inside the living room to watch him whilst he’s unsupervised.

this will be the first time i’ll be leaving him for this long as any other time i’ve left him alone has not exceeded 12 hours or so, and definitely not overnight yet, latest return being around 2am. i’m just a little anxious about leaving him alone.

is there any extra advice anyone can offer?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think your cat will be fine as long a she has met your Uncle and his son before.

I would suggest that you leave a piece or two of your clean unwashed, non perfumed garments with your cat where he lays as this will help him calm down as there's familiar scents around.

Just make sure that when your Uncle comes over, remind him not to open any windows and also as he enter or leave the house, make sure your cat don't rush out. Ask him also to replace his drinking bowl with fresh water, rinse and use a sponge to clean the drinking bowl without detergent before replacing with clean water and also scoop the litterbox (if you can, put another litterbox for your cat so that he has an extra one to use just in case your Uncle cannot clean out the litterbox in time) each time he visits.

Cats sleeps most of the their time so their time passes quite fast and also have one or more nite light on for him and have one near the litterbox. Get the lights on a timer so that they come on and off at the right time.

Yes, a wifi security is a good idea.

How Long Can You Leave Your Cat Alone For? - TheCatSite

EDIT : Also clean and wash his food dish and make sure it's completely dry before putting in the dry food if he's eating dry food.

Last edited:

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he have access to a window? You could throw a bird cake out there, if you’re where you can, to keep him entertained.