Going Down To Two Meals A Day At Age One Year

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How have you handled this - or what is your plan if you haven't done it yet?

My cats (raw fed brothers) are ten months old now and getting a bit chunky. I know they can go to two feedings a day at age one year, but I'm not sure just how I should do that. My boys aren't geniuses, but they know their feeding routine and they will definitely notice if I just stop feeding them their 4:00 meal, lol.

Should I just make that meal smaller until it's a snack or it just disappears? And do I adjust the times or amounts fed at the other two meals?

Thanks for any advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help. Yes, I'll begin weighing them. I've been lax about it and then today I noticed that they're a bit "fluffier" than they should be. I think I took the advice to let kittens eat all they want a little too seriously. It's hard to believe they're nearly a year old.

Regarding their activity level, I have considered posting their dynamic in the behavior forum. The smaller cat is so active he's almost manic. He plays so enthusiastically at wand toy or laser time that the larger cat gets discouraged and will retreat and just watch. We have to each take a cat to play out of the other cat's sight (not so easy because they're very closely bonded) or wear out the wiry cat so he naps while the big boy plays. I don't think the smaller guy means to intimidate, because he's very generous to his brother with food, cuddling, grooming and their play time. He's just really energetic. At night he runs around for a full hour after the bigger cat and the humans have gone to bed. We've moved their cat trees farther apart and they're jumping and climbing on them more instead of just napping there. I'm trying to figure out another climbing arrangement for them. Our space is limited. That's probably a good thing or I'd have a bunch more cats.

Cheers,

Totsy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:thumbsup: it sounds to me as though you are doing a great job! I'm glad they have you :redheartpump:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is tough to answer, Totsy, but how "chunky" and "fluffy" are they? If they're that active, they still need a lot of calories so I'd be hesitant to cut their food much at all at this point, particularly if part of the weight gain you might be seeing is the little guys' frames filling out, something that can seem jarring is you're used to seeing lean, lanky kittens. (Our cats kept growing and filling out until at least two; they did come to us scrawny and underfed but even so, they grew for a long time after turning one.) Do you have pictures? ;)

And have you looked at a body condition chart? I'll put one in, just in case. I find these really helpful with our cats: one tends to be a little skinny (3-4), the other tends to be a bit plump (5-6). The vet is happy with their weights, though, and if she's happy with them, then, I'm happy with them! Has your vet seen your kittens recently and commented that they look like they're gaining?