Going away for 2 weeks for work, would it be OK to take my cat to another person’s house?

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m a single guy and when I usually travel for work I get my parents to come check on my cat every day. However I’m going to be away for longer than I’ve ever been, and I was wondering if it would be OK if I took my cat to my parents to stay for the 2 weeks I’ll be gone. Would that have a negative effect on her since she’s so used to my house? Should I just get my parents to check on her every day? Would that mess with her mentally if she’s taken to a new house for 2 weeks and then brought back to my house?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
If you leave behind some worn unwashed clothes to take to your parents house with the cat, along with any favorite toys, blankets and beds, and a used litterbox, so that her temporary residence smells as much like her and you as possible, it should work fine. If she hides a bit at first, that's to be expected. Have one room set aside just for her as a safe room initially.

Also, Cat Music could help as well.

Cats are adaptable, and I think for safety's sake it would be better to have her where someone is there 24/7.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most cats do better staying in the place they are used to and having someone come over for visits, but there are some cats out there that are more like dogs and are ok traveling around. If you tried it, you'd want your parents to keep the cat in a room for the first bit of time to see how they do.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why don you try and bring your cat for visit to your parents house?? See how it goes, if the kitty travels well you could bring her over and spend couple of hours there so when the time come ……… If you do that make sure to bring couple of her tings bed, blanket, toys.
it could be good solution.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Whether your cat stays at her house or goes to your parent's house she will be well cared for which is the most important thing. If your parents live close by and can check on her a minimum of once a day, change her food and water bowls, clean the litter box and play with her then that would be my preference. But if this is not convenient for them by all means bring her to their house. If for some reason she does not acclimate well they can always bring her back. Have a safe trip and please keep us posted on what you decide.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You didn't mention if your parent have other animals in the house. If they do let her stay in her own home.

Ask your parents for unwashed tops so kitty their scents can become part of her world. If she goes to your parents have them keep her in one room initially so she's not overwhelmed.

Really you don't know until you try.