Goat Rental

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The lake where I metal detect each morning is in a large nature reserve and for the last week I have been watching them put up electric fencing around a large section. I was trying to figure out if they were trying to keep people out or animals in. But this morning the signage went up “Goat Rental” and there they all were. But what are they rented for? To eat weeds? Or to keep grass mowed?

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's right... some folks rent goat herds to public agencies & private landowners to clear weeds, they even clear the land along interstate highways, LOL. Not a bad idea, really, as long as the goats are kept in their own target area and not allowed to roam loose. I'd rather see a herd of happy goats chowing down than see yet another machine burning fuel and spewing fumes into the atmosphere... :confused:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
So now I understand! The park must have rented them to get rid of weeds or something.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, they're quite effective, a good-sized herd will clear an area pronto, and it's a way for goatherds & flock owners to make a little money, ya know? I think it's a great idea, and what kid doesn't like seeing a herd of goats as part of the scenery? Sure beats the usual trash, graffiti, hostile drivers with road rage, etc., LOL. :confused:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's at least one lady in Denver who rents her goats, and Denver Parks and Recreation has utilized them, both for weeds and for helping to keep grass looking a little neater in some of the areas that aren't being mowed with equipment . As sidewinder mentioned, it's a win-win :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I now want to rent goats. I have been wanted my own goat since I can remember.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
They use goats in our area to get rid of invasive starthistle plants:

Grazing: Cattle, sheep, and goats can all be used to graze yellow starthistle.
Once the spines come out yellow starthistle becomes less attractive to cattle and sheep and they start avoiding it. Goats, on the other hand, are not dissuaded by the spines so they are often used in yellow starthistle targeted grazing programs.
Selected Yellow Starthistle Treatment Options

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about renting some goats, but I don't want to be responsible when the wolves/bear/cougar eats them.
The antelope are not doing their job, the grass and weeds are up to my knees this year.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a few goats for a time, 4 if I remember. They were a huge pain sometimes. I had horses also and I was using an electric fence to keep everything contained. Except goats get through electric fences I found out. Almost every other animal that comes into contact with an electric fence, and this includes chickens, backs up after hitting it and getting zapped. But not goats, at least not mine. Instead of backing up they push forward. I watched one of mine go through a 4 strand electric fence once. He started with his head, stuck his head in it and got zapped and bleated and when the fence pulsed off he pushed through more until it zapped him again. And again and again and again until he was through and on the other side. They would also lie down on the ground and scoot under the lowest wire. The only time they stayed where I wanted them was when they were tied with a rope and staked to the ground. I loved that they ate weeds but they also loved to eat trees. They would strip all the lower leaves off the trees and they ate lilacs like crazy. The only thing left of a lilac would be a tuft of leaves at the very top. In my opinion sheep actually do better at grazing stuff down partly because they are easier to manage and keep in. But they don't like the weeds as much as the goats do.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would also lie down on the ground and scoot under the lowest wire.
I had a Satan spawn foal once that watched us lower the insulator and step over the hot wire. He quickly learned that when he used his hoof to lower the insulator, he didn't get shocked and could hop right over the lowered part.
Animals are smarter than most people give them credit for.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I drive past a field where someone has a "goats for rent" sign on the fence. The goats are only in that yard maybe one week out of the month; which makes me think business is good even in a urban setting.

There are some interesting videos on YouTube

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are other benefits to the business also, such as goat milk which some people really like, although it can get a nasty taste if the goats eat certain weeds.
And in the end when a goat breaks down and can't be fixed you just eat it instead of carting it off to the landfill. Also they do make their own replacements. They work best in moderate climates though. In places that have long winters you end up having to feed them lots of hay and that will definitely cut into the profits.