Gma’s cat, just want opinion/ I’m curious

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gma’s cat is a smaller sized cat (when she first got him from the shelter, he looked like an American shorthair but his legs were shorter) but is overweight at 19-20 pounds and has type 2 diabetes (he has had no signs of weight loss, has been that weight for about three years now). He has to get shots twice a day, but the vet said he doesn’t want the cat to loose weight not change his diet. Everything I’ve read has said for a cat to gradually lose weight, or at least get on a better diet. Am I missing something here.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get a second opinion.

Diabetic humans are often told to adjust their diets. I have a friend who found out just how true that could be when he went to Norway and within a week his insulin numbers went down.

Cats are not much different. They should be eating a diet that is appropriate for a obligate carnivore; high protein, and good water content (wet preferred to dry). Many dry foods are high in carbs, which cats do not process well and which contributes to weight gain and all the health issues associated with that (including diabetes and heart issues).

Seriously, if a vet says an overweight, diabetic animal does NOT need to loose weight or change their diet, I would run-not-walk to another vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had two diabetic cats, one years ago and one currently living with me. The first was never heavy, but Stella was very big when she was dxed and she has lost a decent amount of weight between diet and insulin. I would definitely find out what the reasoning is behind that statement....unless the vet has a "write off" mentality for older animals (although you did not say that the cat is elderly).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did anyone by chance ask the vet what their reasoning was?
No. I asked my gma how Charlie (the cat) was doing since I was visiting and she said he was having a rough time and I asked about his diet and weight, and her vet said he wanted to keep Charlie at his current weight.

fionasmom fionasmom he’s 10 or 11 I think. I know he’s not super old but he’s older.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is that some vets are reluctant to take too much weight off of an elderly cat. Still, 19-20 pounds is a lot of weight; I'd think he could lose some and still have a pretty sizeable "safety net" weight wise!

Maybe they're worried about changing insulin requirements when the cat loses weight? Still, the weight and insulin needs shouldn't be changing rapidly. Definitely try to ask the vet what the reasoning is... or get a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunatly it’s not my cat and my gma refuses to find a second opinion. I would take him myself but I already have a problem child on my hands.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, with no information/explanation from the current vet and no way to get a second opinion, I think you won't be able to find out what is going on. And, with no more information that you can share with us, we aren't going to be able to help any. Perhaps, you can at least ask your gma if you can call the vet and talk with them just so that you better understand the vet's reasoning.

Maybe you can share this information with your gma, and see if that makes a difference:
"Type 2 diabetes is a manageable condition and your pet can continue to live a normal life, provided he receives insulin shots. The treatment can be individualized for every cat. A change in diet is required: a high-protein and low-carbohydrate diet is recommended. Portion-control is also essential. Exercise is a very important part of the weight control and may reduce insulin dependence as well. Home testing of your cat’s blood sugar level has to be done on a regular basis."

Type 2 Diabetes in Cats