Glucosamine or other joint supplements

tpapictures

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We used to give a cat of ours glucosamine and chondroitin in a pill called Cosequin. This was about 15 years ago. She was 18 and it completely helped with her ability to get around and her kneecap dysplasia. We think it would help our current cat with joint issues just to help with movement and seeming joint discomfort. Does anyone use Cosequin or something similar with good results? We're not at the going to the vet stage yet, we just think he needs a little boost.
Ideally, we need something that tastes like nothing because he can pick up one grain of something he doesn't like even in his most favourite foods.

Thanks for any recommendations!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There seems to be quite a number of members who use either Cosequin or Dasuquin - usually the capsule form sprinkled on food. They both have chews too, but that probably doesn't make the taste any better/worse. I know my cat did not like either of them, so I was never able to determine directly whether or not they were helpful. I also tried Noden's Cat Hip and Joint liquid in beef flavor, but it didn't take long for her to decide she didn't like that either.

Originally, I started out with Glyco Flex Plus, which are large chews I cut into 4-5 smaller pieces and she ate those for 3 years before they went out of favor with her. They also contain green lipped mussels, and that does impact the smell and flavor of the chews. The Glyco did a lot to help her and I was disappointed that she stopped eating them, especially since she won't take any of the others.

I'd say try Cosequin or Dasuquin and see what happens. You could try mixing it with a lickable treat or some 'juice' from a can of tuna in water rather than his regular food to see if that might help any.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Cosequin for our kitties who are 13. It helps them move easier. Sometimes I think it works too well because my female 13 year old runs around the house like she's a kitten!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used Cosequin with Iris, and I do think it helped her the last two years before she crossed the Bridge at 19. If you have access to a Costco, I found they had the best price by far

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tpapictures

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used Cosequin with Iris, and I do think it helped her the last two years before she crossed the Bridge at 19. If you have access to a Costco, I found they had the best price by far
Perhaps, but I read that cats shouldn't have the human kind because it can contain ingredients that are harmful to them.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve been giving 16-year-old Sylvie the Cosequin sprinkle caps for a few years now, and they do seem to improve her mobility. At one point the vet said Dasuquin might be better, but it didn’t agree with Sylvie’s digestive system, and she didn’t care for the Cosequin chews.