Giving probiotics

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I posted a couple of days ago regarding Skye (my kitty) having diarrhea once a day, no changes in diet, eating and drinking normally, activity level normal.... I spoke to the vet and I was told to keep an eye on her, but if it continues for a couple of days, to give her some probiotics. I don't want it to get worse....
I have " Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets FORTIFLORA " that I bought from the vet before. The date on is "BEST BEFORE" May 26 2020. My question is: is it safe to give to Skye or best before is consider an expiration date?
I called the vet office but it's closed.

Thank you!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine :) The FDA has no regulation on probiotics and other supplements so manufacturers pretty much just make up a date. The probiotic part of FortiFlora should still be ok or maybe just a little less effective and won't cause any harm if you give it. Two months past the best by date isn't going to result in a huge drastic change to the overall product.

If you only use FortiFlora as an appetite stimulant, it's good for a long time. I still have a box of FortiFlora with a date of 2019 that I occasionally use to entice one of the cats to eat.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's fine :) The FDA has no regulation on probiotics and other supplements so manufacturers pretty much just make up a date. The probiotic part of FortiFlora should still be ok or maybe just a little less effective and won't cause any harm if you give it. Two months past the best by date isn't going to result in a huge drastic change to the overall product.

If you only use FortiFlora as an appetite stimulant, it's good for a long time. I still have a box of FortiFlora with a date of 2019 that I occasionally use to entice one of the cats to eat.
Thank you for your quick reply!!
I have to mix it with water and syringe it into her mouth.... she will not touch it if I sprinkle it on her food.
I'm really hoping she takes it

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really? Most cats go nuts over the animal digest that's in FortiFlora :think:

You can also use a Human probiotic instead of a pet one. Higher CFU, more bacteria strains. Lots of TCS threads on the topic.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeap, she is very very picky!

Thank you, I will check the threads.
I really appreciate it!!