giving cat chicken quarter/thigh every day including bone - ok?

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and the question is is it ok to give her bone every day? I doing it for few months already and just wonder, whether it may not develop some adrenal issues from the bone as it is very dense. recently she was vocal after she ate. she eat fine, but then was vocal afterwards which was unusual. she is an outdoor cat and have small kitten now. (the nickname is after her mom that passed unfortunately:-(

tokibokes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I literally made this account just now to tell you to not feed your cat any bones. They are very small and can be very sharp and tear their insides apart. This can be very dangerous and cause a life threatening injury to your cat. Please please stop doing this. Just take the chicken off the bone.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have given my cats chicken as a treat, as well as beef, and they enjoy it. I also have to agree that chicken bones are dangerous; in raw feeding, at least in dogs (which I do not do) bones are a part of the protocol, but I have never been comfortable with it. Chicken bones especially can splinter. Can you get her some regular cat food? Maybe you are already feeding cat food and this is just a treat?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Hi, raw feeder here. Cooked chicken bones are extremely dangerous, but raw chicken bones won't splinter. My dogs eat chicken necks regularly and Willow enjoyed the one I gave her. S sickmomcat , I don't know about the adrenal issues because I mostly feed Willow rodents (whole prey) and prepared raw, which does have less bone in it than dog food.

I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the big question here is are you talking RAW or cooked bones? There is nothing wrong with feeding raw chicken with bones in it once in awhile. We have a raw forum which may be better suited to answer your question, and I have flagged your post to see if they can move it over there.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
As others said, small raw chicken bones are fine, but not cooked. It’s often recommended to feed raw chicken necks and wing tips for dental health. Cooked bones can splinter though and generally aren’t safe to feed.

The other thing to consider is if you’re feeding a substantial amount of bone every day then this will impact the amount of phosphorus and calcium she is getting and the ratio between them. If you’re just feeding raw bone as a treat then I would stick to maybe a couple times a week so it doesn’t throw the nutrient balance of her diet off whack. The other option is to learn how to make your own homemade raw. That takes some researching and learning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, i was talking about raw chicken thigh. and i give it to her every day...i also give them commercial cat food with it, so they can decide which they want. i was only thinking daily chicken bone might be hard for adrenals and minerals, but I already started separating the meat from bone and only give her the soft bone part (it;s basically chicken quarter thigh)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
hello, i was talking about raw chicken thigh. and i give it to her every day...i also give them commercial cat food with it, so they can decide which they want. i was only thinking daily chicken bone might be hard for adrenals and minerals, but I already started separating the meat from bone and only give her the soft bone part (it;s basically chicken quarter thigh)
Yes it will affect her mineral intake and potentially cause imbalances in calcium-phosphorus ratio if you’re giving it every day.

Those of us who feed raw meat and bones follow recipes or use whole prey models.

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: nwc