Getting Urine Sample At Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that an antibiotic should kick in or show its effects within 24-36 h. A kidney infection reminds me of a pyelonephritis, which if it's the case, can be long to solve. This could explain the long course of antibiotics.
I think 300 ml of water is very much indeed.
I have the habit to measure my cat's water intake daily, and it's always around 70 ml (min 45, max 100), plus the moisture she gets from her wet food. So 300 ml seem very much to me.

Do you have the chance to post the blood panel results?
I wonder if it is the pyelonephritis that you mentioned. I wasn't sure on the water intake, I knew that she always seemed to be at her water bowl over the last week or so, it wasn't until I started actually measuring that I knew how much it was. The vet said the 200-300 per day is way too much especially because she does have wet food everyday. The most that they would be ok with is 180ml and they said even that is pushing it with a wet food diet.

I didn't receive any result printouts for either the bloods or urine tests. I don't know if the vet will give them to me or not, but they are meant to be calling me on Friday so I will ask them then if I can get them, I will also ask if they think it is the pyelonephritis that you mentioned. I was really worried when they were telling me what was going on so didn't take everything fully in.

It is only just over 24 hours since her shot so fingers crossed everything settles down soon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't receive any result printouts for either the bloods or urine tests. I don't know if the vet will give them to me or not, but they are meant to be calling me on Friday so I will ask them then if I can get them, I will also ask if they think it is the pyelonephritis that you mentioned. I was really worried when they were telling me what was going on so didn't take everything fully in.
Over here where I live, it's a pet owner's right to receive all the results written (or via email) at the end of the visit, or as soon as they are available from the the lab.
So I hope it's a right of yours even in Australia.

Fingers crossed everything is fine soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over here where I live, it's a pet owner's right to receive all the results written (or via email) at the end of the visit, or as soon as they are available from the the lab.
So I hope it's a right of yours even in Australia.

Fingers crossed everything is fine soon!

Thanks @Antonia65, I have not had a sick pet for a very long time, so not sure what the rules are here. On a very positive note, Abra didn't drink a ridiculous amount of water overnight probably only about 50ml and although she still has quite a bit of urine for overnight it hasn't filled the whole half of the litterbox so I think the antibiotic is working.

Abra is still not herself but I am hoping that she is going to start getting back to her usual self. Normally she follows me everywhere and talks to me non-stop but she has barely even said hello and has pretty much stayed in her sleeping spots.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Kevin and I used to be so stressed using those non absorbent litters, hes a big fan of a good dig before going....

After the first kidney infection I figured there has to be an easier way!

So now when we need Kevin's sample I stay in a room with him until he goes, wait for him to crouch and get a spoon slide it under him to catch the urine and syringe the it into a sealed container.

Handy tip for anyone who might need it..