Getting Rid Of A Stray Cat Whom I Have Been Feeding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The caretakers have searched the neighbor's house. They said that she was not there anymore. I have read that some cats hide for days when they are displaced. Is that indoor cat behavior? That cat is stray so the outside world is not new to her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She would not stay hidden for long in a house where there isn't food or water available. Am I correct in assuming that she has a way out of that house and isn't trapped inside? Because if she is trapped inside or there is a possibility of that, someone should put out a bowl of food and water. You will know if she's in there if the food is eaten. Otherwise, I think it's safe to assume at this point that she's outside somewhere. Good luck and keep us posted.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was not at my relatives house. A caretaker had seen the cat at the neighbor's house. They checked agsin yesterday but the cat was not there anymore. I don't know if they had any food or water for animals. People usually leave out water and food for birds here.

If she finds food in some house and stay there for a while, can she change her territory or will she keep searching for her old territory?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lost Cat Behavior – Missing Pet Partnership

Lost Pet Advice: Understanding Feline Behavior to Find Your Lost Cat Faster | PetHub

These two articles explain how a cat will act when in an unfamiliar place. Many cats go into a catatonic state because of shock. They hide and they don't come out of hiding even though they are in danger of starving to death. If the cat was attacked by other cats in the area or chased by dogs she will most likely hide. It's not so much a case of providing food and water as it is a case of trying to get them to eat again.

If they go into shock they have to be coaxed to eat and drink, the way a person suffering from shock will.

Hopefully this cat is not too scared to move and will be looking for food by herself. If she finds someone who is kind enough to feed her then she will probably stay where she is.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ever find her again, or if this ever happens again, really, the only way you can feel better about everything is to find her a new home with people who want her. Whether you wanted to or not, you developed a bond with her and she loves you. She will search for you and the only home she knows until she dies. You can't relocate a cat to strange territory and just release them, if you would have asked, we could have told you that. She is terrified and confused. When you find a home for a cat, they have to be confined at the new territory for at LEAST a few weeks, a month is better, so they get used to a new place. Keep asking to see is a caretaker takes her in, and she hangs around. The situation needs to be resolved for you or you will be thinking about it for a long time. May you be blessed for caring for her, and to keep trying to find out about her. You have a good heart. People are upset here, but so are you, and thank you for that. I'll pray taht everything turns out OK, PLEASE keep us posted on what happens!

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she is 6 or 7 month old. I don't know how good a cat's searching ability is at this young age.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today a caretaker has told me that the neighbor house where the cat went put out food for stray cats and birds. He saw 2 cats in that block that looked like her. The cat is a felis silvestris and very common here.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the caretaker has told me today that he went in the neighbor's house yesterday and the cat is still there. They feed stray cats and birds. But the cat is afraid of him and doesn't come near him. If they are feeding the cat then I think that she should stay there.

If she returned to our house then I have made an arrangement for her. She will be sent to a farm in a small town outside faisalabad. There is some rat problem there and there are many stray cats on that farm. There are large cages there for cattle. They will keep her in a large cage in open space for a few weeks so she can get use to the new place.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is being feed and she has not left the house then will she try to escape?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are the neighbours happy to take care of the cat from now on? If she is being fed at this house and they don't mind her being there it would probably be best if she stayed where she is. Maybe you could take over some goats milk or cat food for her? If she has enough to eat and isn't being attacked by the other cats she will probably stay where she is.

If she stays there and if everything goes well I strongly recommend that you get her spayed. She will have kittens soon. 2 cats can become 30 in less than a year if you don't spay and neuter them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you wanted to care for the cat now. Is that not the case?

I was also under the impression that the caretakers weren’t there or feeding often.

I agree that spaying is crucial regardless.

thelaughingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is such a sad story - we all make mistakes and this one seems to be a horrendous one. I would definitely get her spayed - she needs to be. I'm no vet but I have been told by our that many feral cats who get pregnant (if she is female), are liable to pass on worms/cat flu/hepatitis etc to their kittens in the womb and that's not fair on anyone. Male cats unneutered are at a higher risk of testicular cancer and death through fighting other male cats over females.

You obviously care for the kitten to regret dumping them and try and find them again. Banish your worries and listen to what your heart is telling you to do.

PS - my father in law has a very strong cat phobia. By the end of his first weekend at ours, they were sleeping on his knee and, though he'd never dare admit it, he loved every second of it *grins*

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have some personal reasons which I can't discuss here :(

I am really sorry friends. I don't know what happens next. I will keep you posted if something comes up.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get her spayed, at least. We can’t say enough how much that will do for her life.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The caretakers of the house where I sent her don't feed stray cats but the neighbors do feed birds and stray cats. A caretaker went in the neighbor's house to check on the cat. He told me this today.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cat outside our house. I think she is her mother. Her stomach is big I think. The other cat which I displaced can't get pregnant this fast. Is it possible? She is meowing. I hope its not the other cat.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is hiding under the car and not coming out. The mom cat never called me like this. Can strange cat meon like this? What am I suppose to do now?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is the mama cat. I have taken a second look. She looks very pregnant. For a moment I thought the other cat has returned.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friends I don't want her to leave any other kitten in my house. My previous experience has shaken me enough.