Getting Poo Off Cat When Cat Won't Hold Still?

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Melody is a five-year old spayed female, adopted last October after she'd been several months in shelters. She has been very well-mannered and good at keeping herself clean. And, she likes to go take a poo in her litter box right after I've scooped it. Sigh.

Last evening, for only the 2nd time since adoption, she had a little poo on her back-side, upper thigh area. It was gooey and I didn't want it all over the place. So, I got a damp tissue and tried to clean it off. I got meowed at in complaint and she moved away. And again, and again, and again. Trying to hold her to do it just made her upset-and scared. [She isn't a lap cat; we snuggle on the bed at specific times usually. Otherwise, a quick caress as she walks by is it.] I tried putting a treat in her bowl and semi-cornered her enough to wipe most of the poo off.

Any advice for how to get poo off without traumatizing her would be appreciated. [Hopefully, this will continue to be a rare need--but, I don't want to upset her when I am just trying to help.]

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This happens with my girl sometimes too. In my experience, a little (or a lot) of complaining whilst you clean them up is inevitable. They often need to be held or restrained as you clean them too, as there very few kitties that will happily stand still to be cleaned without being held! The key is to stay totally calm and matter of fact about it, be persistent, tell her how good she's being while you do it, and give her an extra yummy treat to say sorry when you're done.

My girl is a semi-feral, and it took her a long while to accept this type of cleaning, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Even now she's not happy about being restrained, but she'll tolerate it (just about, anyway ;) ). Very often, my starting the process is enough to prompt her to clean herself up, and you may well find your girl is the same.

I prefer to use a damp washcloth or pet-safe wipes (I use Water Wipes, as they're cheaper than pet wipes, but have no nasties in them) instead of a tissue, as it's both easier and quicker, and likely more comfortable for the cat too.

With any kind of cleaning or medical procedure, I try to act and handle the animal like a vet or vet tech would. Very calm and quiet, but confident too, like there is no question of not doing whatever is needed. This attitude has worked for me with bum cleaning, wound cleaning, syringe feeding, pilling, and even using an AeroKat chamber to give asthma meds to a cat (and later, a pony!). Attitude and the energy you put out is everything ;)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you sprinkle or pat cornstarch over the poop it will dry it out pretty well. Then you can get most of it out with a brush or comb without smearing it around with a wet cloth.

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two long-haired cats, and I had to face this issue repeatedly with both of them. One of them, Happy, loves to be handled and actually purrs while I'm cleaning him with a pet wipe, however I have found that they tend to smear the poo instead of removing it. My other one, Meeko? Boy, it's wrestling time, every single time. And since he knows I'll try to catch him, he rubs his butt on the floor everywhere, then runs away as soon as he sees me, not understanding why the poo isn't going away. You can imagine the kind of mess that makes. Sigh. Since Meeko cannot stand still if I try to clean him, the most efficient way I found was to trim the soiled fur with very small scissors. Obviously you have to be very careful, and it's much easier if you have someone with you to hold the cat while you're doing this. After I trim his fur, he usually calms down and cleans himself.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When this happens with Mooch I get a few wet paper towels (and I try to go for decent ones; not the cheapest I use for other stuff) and I put one hand on her back above her shoulder blades to help keep her still. Then I wipe wipe wipe and switch towels till it's clean. I think just getting in there and getting it done helps us. She's not too happy about it; but at the same time I think she knows when shes stinky. :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This happens with my girl sometimes too. In my experience, a little (or a lot) of complaining whilst you clean them up is inevitable. They often need to be held or restrained as you clean them too, as there very few kitties that will happily stand still to be cleaned without being held! The key is to stay totally calm and matter of fact about it, be persistent, tell her how good she's being while you do it, and give her an extra yummy treat to say sorry when you're done.

My girl is a semi-feral, and it took her a long while to accept this type of cleaning, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Even now she's not happy about being restrained, but she'll tolerate it (just about, anyway ;) ). Very often, my starting the process is enough to prompt her to clean herself up, and you may well find your girl is the same.

I prefer to use a damp washcloth or pet-safe wipes (I use Water Wipes, as they're cheaper than pet wipes, but have no nasties in them) instead of a tissue, as it's both easier and quicker, and likely more comfortable for the cat too.

With any kind of cleaning or medical procedure, I try to act and handle the animal like a vet or vet tech would. Very calm and quiet, but confident too, like there is no question of not doing whatever is needed. This attitude has worked for me with bum cleaning, wound cleaning, syringe feeding, pilling, and even using an AeroKat chamber to give asthma meds to a cat (and later, a pony!). Attitude and the energy you put out is everything ;)

Thank you. While I hope to NOT need this advice very often, I need to be prepared for the next time. She is my first cat and first pet as an adult. I think I am still semi-afraid of her--both of upsetting her AND of getting myself...um...shredded....

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When this happens with Mooch I get a few wet paper towels (and I try to go for decent ones; not the cheapest I use for other stuff) and I put one hand on her back above her shoulder blades to help keep her still. Then I wipe wipe wipe and switch towels till it's clean. I think just getting in there and getting it done helps us. She's not too happy about it; but at the same time I think she knows when shes stinky. :rolleyes:
Exact thing I do for Jack when he has these accidents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got home yesterday, I noticed a smear on the baseboard and saw where she had some poo [that was very well dried at that point] on a hind paw and lower part of the leg.

I wet a washcloth and headed for her...she somehow 'knew' and looked at me with suspicion. The suspicion became certainty as I came closer. The suspicion became agitation as I took hold. She squirmed, escaped, ran a short distance away. I approached again. Repeat. Tried a few more times. Never could get a hold and keep a hold on her. I gave up--since the poo was dry and not going to make any more of a mess at that point.

How the heck do you keep a hold on these squirmy kitty creatures? I tried to trap her between my knees with a hand on her back side while I reached for the offending leg with the other hand...I don't want to hurt her.

I also need to know if I should and if so how to get her used to ME holding her and doing things to/for her. Planning for the future, at some point--hopefully many years from now--she may need pilled, other medical care at home. [She likes snuggles--but, laying with me on the bed, one of my arms along her back while I stroke her head. So, I am not really holding her, just petting.]

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try when she's really relaxed, or napping, touch her legs, then her feet up to the point she draws them back/away from you. Keep doing this, with a treat afterwards.

When she's napping/relaxed, eventually try rubbing a cloth very briefly on her back, then for longer.

When she's accepting of all these things, try putting your hands on either side of her but don't hold her. Work up to where you can have your hands around her, always with a relaxed demeaner and tone of voice, and a treat ot two after.

Lots of time, patience, gentle approaches, she'll figure out you're always a giver of good things :)

If you aren't, maybe add some plain pumpkin to her diet, even maybe some kibble.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A calm, assured demeanor gets me far with Mooch. If I can give her an at-home enema single handed; we can do anything!

For something like that I wrapped her up in a towel with her rear end out. They feel calmer when hidden like that. One of my childhood cats was only calm at the vet if her head was under my step-dad's shirt.:lol2: I also sat on a big towel on the floor with her between my legs to block her a bit. In your case I would have had a small bowl with warm water handy so you could soak it again if need be. I have some thin washcloths from when my kids were babies that are good for things like this too.

I do try to work as quick as I can though. Noodles is harder; but thankfully doesn't need as much hands-on care. I give pills in soft treats because she would be difficult to handle for that twice a day every day!