Getting My Kitty Spayed Tomorrow And I’m Really Nervous!!

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i’m getting my 7 month old kitten spayed tomorrow morning and I’m so nervous!! i really don’t want anything bad to happen to her and i really just want things to run smoothly. does anybody have any advice for when she comes home? how i can help her recover faster? and what things i can expect? she’s my lil baby and i want her to be okay lol. i’ve never gotten any of my animals spayed or neutered before, but i have to because i have a male and female cat now. one of them has to get fixed, although i’ll probably get them both fixed eventually. anyways, i’m super nervous for her and i need some reassurance haha.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
does anybody have any advice for when she comes home? how i can help her recover faster? and what things i can expect?
Don't be nervous. Just make sure after the surgery, keep the incision area clean and dry. Make sure your kitty does not pull off the stitches. Most likely she'll come home with an E-collar to prevent her from excessive licking or pulling off the stitches.

A little blood may still ooze from the surgery site but will stop after some time. But if it's oozing more blood and non stop, or yellowish pus is showing with a foul smell, it indicates an infection. Please bring your kitty back to the vet ASAP but just don't panic.

The other thing is that your male cat male may find your female cat strange as in non recognizable because of the scent from the vet's office is on her. This is very common. What you can do is use a towel and gently wipe your male cat to get his scent on the towel so that when your female cat comes home, use that towel that was used on the male cat and rub gently all over the female cat before they meet. This will transfer the scent from the male cat to her and when he sniff her, the scent will be familiar to him. Do likewise if you bring your male cat to be neutered or at any time each cat goes the vet at different times.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats.22304
when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat.33415
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery.30217
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery.30218

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Be sure and have the vet explain things, what type of stitches, if there will be any extra marks-sometimes the surgery area is marked, whether to keep her from being active, how to administer any meds, if you can send pictures if you have questions about healing/the scar.

She should be fine, especially with s loving, caring owner such as yourself :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing a great thing by spaying her. She won't have to risk getting mammary cancer or unwanted litters. You really should do the boy soon before he gets into unpleasant tom habits like spraying and running out the door to fight and look for mates.