Getting Companion Cat

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this has been addressed in other posts, but thought I’d get some fresh views. I’m thinking about getting a companion for Maxine. Max is a 6 year old spayed female long-hair calico. Though she did recently run away for a couple of weeks with a neighborhood feral tom, she is normally a strictly indoor cat.

At a couple of cat shows breeders have told me that she definitely has the physical and temperamental characteristics of a Norwegian Forest Cat. I have no idea as I got her at a shelter 3 years ago. I mention this as I assume temperament is very important in pairing cats. She is very sweet, shy around humans, but not around other animals. She can be very loving, but it’s on her terms. When she wants to be close, petted, or played with, she’ll let you know.

In choosing a companion cat, these are my questions:

1. Is it better to pair a female with another female or neutered male?

2. What about age – same, older, younger?

3. Does size matter?

4. Should they have separate litter boxes, food dishes, etc.?

5. If it doesn’t go well at first, how long a trial period should I give it? (I would get the companion at a shelter, and you can bring them back any time. I would hate to do that, but if it’s just not working….)

6. What about the boyfriend she ran off with. I still see him in the neighborhood and he’s very friendly. If I had him neutered (assuming he isn’t already) would he be a candidate?

Lastly, is this just not a particularly good idea? Max hasn’t exhibited any particular signs of being lonely, though I’m not sure I’d know what they were anyway. I’m with her about 16 hours a day and she has 2 full, wall to ceiling, windows to watch whatever’s going on outside. But, maybe a playmate would be nice.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she in heat when she ran off with him? If not he might be a good candidate. Is he a stray cat or a feral or semi-feral? Would he take to being an indoor only kitty? Is he healthy does he have FIV?

Personally I would say a kitten. I'm not sure if gender matters. I have heard cats prefer their buddies to look different than them. I'm not sure if the pattern/color of their fur matters. Since it sounds like you have a mellow cat, I would try to get a mellow kitten/teen cat that is spayed/neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks danteshuman. No, she wasn't in heat. Thats a good point about whether he's a true feral. I'm sure it would make a significant difference about how willing he would be to becoming a strictly indoor cat. I suspect he is a true feral, though I can't be certain. This is a large colony that's been in the neighborhood for years, and I'm constantly seeing kittens. As far as being neutered, I don't know. The Humane Society does occasional sweeps for neutering and spaying, but returns most of them to the colony. If I do decide to give him a try the first thing I would do is take him to my vet.

The idea of a kitten is appealing. I can't imagine Max being aggressive towards a kitten, and at 6 years old she's still active enough that I don't think she would find a kitten too tiring.

Thanks again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the answers for #s 1, 2, and 3 are the same, it just depends on the individual cats. There are some thoughts about it, but each cat is SUCH an individual that you just...do the best you can at the time. You do want to look for a calmer cat, and one who is social with other cats.

#4, absolutely, yes. You should have 1 litter box for each cat in the house, PLUS 1, so even for an only cat, 2 boxes is ideal. For food, water and toys, one each will do it, although I've seen 1 + 1 mentioned for food/water dishes, as well. If you can reasonably swing it, it certainly wouldn't hurt a thing.

#5, introducing cats properly is a long and fairly slow process if you want the absolute best outcome. Patience is key. I'm going to link a couple of our articles on how to do the trick for you.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (just in case)

#6, well...that might work very well since you know that they get along well already, but be cautious. Be sure to take him to the vet immediately to be checked for FIV, FIP, parasites, and all the nasties you don't want to bring into your house, AND get him neutered when you take him in. If he's friendly, he may have been "somebody's cat" at some point in his life and would adjust very quickly, but...you may have to deal with spraying and litter box issues. They can generally be fixed, but you need to at least be aware that it could happen. Take it under advisement. Frankly, if it could be worked out, I'm always happy to see a street cat get in a good home.

Cats aren't generally social by nature. That isn't to say that they don't form deep, loving relationships with other cats in their homes ever, but they aren't dependent on them to be happy the way that dogs are (although dogs will willingly accept a human as his "other dog").

And just to cover the bases, here's one more article that you might find helpful:

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty

Do let us know what you decide, and how things go from there!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...a friend came by while I was making my post, and danteshuman danteshuman and you both posted as I was finishing it! Some of your concerns have been addressed, but I hope you get some usable information from me as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great. feedback. My thanks.