Getting a urine sample at home

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So right now I have my cats in separate rooms because I need to get a urine sample from each of them just to rule out kidney disease since my vet was so concerned about the possibility. My cats are not happy. My question is how many hours does it usually take? They have to use that small amount of pearls cat litter that doesn’t absorb urine. I am feeling guilty that I have to put my cats through this? They have been in separate rooms since 5:00. What time do you recommend I check to see if they peed?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I had to get a urine sample from our cat I knew approximately what time(s) of day he used the litter box, e.g. after meals. I also played with him because the activity usually resulted in him using the litter box. Good luck, I hope you have success! :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I had to get a urine sample from our cat I knew approximately what time(s) of day he used the litter box, e.g. after meals. I also played with him because the activity usually resulted in him using the litter box. Good luck, I hope you have success! :crossfingers:
It’s harder when you have to separate 2 cats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So right now I have my cats in separate rooms because I need to get a urine sample from each of them just to rule out kidney disease since my vet was so concerned about the possibility. My cats are not happy. My question is how many hours does it usually take? They have to use that small amount of pearls cat litter that doesn’t absorb urine. I am feeling guilty that I have to put my cats through this? They have been in separate rooms since 5:00. What time do you recommend I check to see if they peed?
When my boy had UTI and the vet needed his urine sample, I used a disposable Chinese soup spoon to collect his urine. How I did it is I waited for him to pee. And when he is peeing, I slipped the spoon behind him and use the spoon to catch his urine. A disposable Chinese soup spoon is deep and big enough to collect the urine. You just need steady hands and not spook your cat while collecting the sample. Have the urine sample bottle opened and ready before trying to collect the urine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mickey decided to pee on my couch blanket instead of in the litter box with the pearls. I used the syringe to take the urine from the blanket. And I am still waiting for Bella to pee so this nightmare will be over. I have to separate the cats which is causing both me and the cats a lot of stress. And all because of veterinarians concerns about borderline test readings regarding my kitties kidneys when I had their teeth cleaned. I explained the story in another post.