Getting A Kitten For An Adult 8 Year Old Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spot on. I let my older cat set the limits even though it was somewhat painful to watch a few times. Despite my fear no one every had a scratch on them.
Do you remember how soon you were able to leave them alone? I will take a few days at home for the isolation part but will need to let him out eventually and go to work.

I do have cameras all over my house which I keep a pretty close eye on. Can you say crazy cat lady?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes Charlie was neutered many years ago, I don't think the humping was sexual. It seemed more that he was trying to challenge the hierarchy. His brother really didn't care much, he was a chill (lazy) big kitty and would only sometimes chase Charlie off.

I was thinking that a kitten would be good in terms of not being as challenging to Charlie as a full grown adult male.

V verna davies love that pic!! Nothing better than cats sleeping in harmony.

That is some great advice.. I really will need to take a running leap of faith at some point. Otherwise, Charlie will live the rest of his life with no really buddy other than me. And I work 12 hours a day 4 days a week so I'm not always there.
All the more reason to get a companion..just kitten proof first lol or you will come home with the house upside down. :lol:

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I got two male kittens I happened to find in the woods when they were ten weeks old, and brought them home to my two ten year old resident male cats. (and moved at the same time to a new house). It is in month four, very slow introductions, but progress is being made. Four cats is a lot, but it did help to have two kittens, since at that age, they are very wild. they have toned down a bit, and now I think the big guys actually do seek them out to play, although there is definitely still some hissing and swatting for sure. I think your cat should have a companion. I did not know the extent of these kittens disposition since I found them, but I would seek out one maybe that is not that young, and maybe not that wild, since they were non stop for the first two months. they still wrestle each other, and sometimes jump the big guys, but you should get a kitty for your big guy. the kittens have actually made my older cats more playful at times

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you RufusGizmo RufusGizmo I appreciate your experience and also the encouragement to do something for Charlie, I know in my heart he needs a companion but at times I question it. Mostly because I know it will be stressful at first. He is so playful, he runs in and out of his tunnel by himself now, it's sad to see. His sister occasionally runs AT him which he accepts as play but I know is her being antagonistic.

The kitten I would be buying will be 4 months old when he would come to my home in April. I am also considering adopting a 10 month old from a shelter where he and his 2 little brothers who are 4 months are. He is quiet and shy and probably semi unsocialized with humans but gets along with cats.

Tough decisions. Feeling a bit paralyzed by the weight of it all. Things are quiet in the house now, scared to make a change.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm not going to lie, it was super difficult, especially with moving at the same time. the two older cats were so in love with each other, always together and we even went through a little period where they were not getting on, and that was heartbreaking. the two older cats are now cuddled up again together during the day, and the kittens are precious. I do think the older ones are actually now having fun with them, although i think the dont want me to know it! Lot of work, but worth it!

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Knowing how hard it will be is what is keeping me from making any decisions. Been there twice, don't really want to go back :(

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do! This is the kitten I would be buying if I go that route. He is 5 weeks now but will be 16 weeks when I get him in April:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember how soon you were able to leave them alone? I will take a few days at home for the isolation part but will need to let him out eventually and go to work.

I do have cameras all over my house which I keep a pretty close eye on. Can you say crazy cat lady?
Since we hand raised the kits from 4 weeks when a spot opened in a rescue for the mother cat we kept them separated for quite some time. The surprise was Mercy who was still a baby took to mothering them became quite possessive actually.
Mook the older cat would sit and stare, and stare and glare and stare but i had a fence built across the living room the kits couldn't get over. When we were gone they were separated as my babies were used to being in an extra large dog cage especially at night. You'll feel it when it's right to let them be together unsupervised.
Our goal was to avoid head on confrontations where we'd be set back to the beginning. For us this worked. I was lucky to be at home all the time then so confinement was limited to a few hours at night and shopping.
One thing i kept on hand in every room was a heavy piece of cardboard big enough to break sightlines between the cats. We also done our best to make sure there were no dead ends one of the cats could be chased into forcing them into a conflict. Extra feeding stations and our own mental attitude that we were going to make it work.