George is feeling sad

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After my beautiful Holly passed away a couple of months ago, her brother George the Cat has been acting weird.
He started eating less than usual. Still fairly enough for his calories needs (he has not lost weight so far) but definitely he is less voracious.
He is also super attached to me. He follows me everywhere I go, he brings his favorite toy to me all the time, etc.
And I have seen him hiding in the closet a few times, sleeping all by himself in the dark.
Worried that he might have something, I brought him to the vet twice. First time for his usual visit for his kidneys (all blood work is normal) and second time yesterday for a dentist visit (Holly passed away because of squamous cell carcinoma) and his mouth is fine. Right after the dentist he also saw the nutritionist at the same hospital (for suggestions on kidney food if needed), they repeated full blood work and everything is OK.

Either he has some disease that three vets did not diagnose or he is having some behavioral issues due to the recent change in the family.

My heart broke so deeply after Holly passed that I told myself “no more pets”, but now I wonder whether George is lonely and whether he would be happy with a new pet friend.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also one more thing, just to give you more info. When Holly was sick, I was trying to find a food that she would eat. I think I bought any kind of food available in the store. My house seemed like a pet store. Every time I was putting now some food, George was eating it. He seemed like the less picky cat in the world.
Now I give him his favorite food, he eats a little bit then he leaves. Then he comes back after a couple of hours and eat a little bit more, etc.
Sometimes he leaves the food out (for example his dry food) and I wonder whether he has nausea but as as soon as I give him his favorite treats (greenies), he eats them all!

So it’s either sick from a mysterious disease, sad for Holly’s passing or suddenly he has become super picky and wants to eat treats only.

And I have to say that after spending months assisting Holly, this gives me PTSD.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I really wouldn't go the new cat route, it can so easily backfire with your resident kitty. Additionally, I hate to say it but you might cut back on the Greenies :).

Try something here, there are a lot of interesting and unusual tips;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

If you haven't considered these, maybe one or two might help him;
What about a purr toy, and/or a heartbeat toy?

Also there is Cat Music, some of which has real cat purrs in the music;
There is RelaxMyCat .com, MusicForCats .com, harp music for cats on spotify and elsewhere, and alexa and youtube have a lot of selections :heartshape:

This might be something if you don't have one already, if they napped together;
Anyone have a thermal self warming cat mat or bed?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how old Holly was or George is, how long they were together, or even how well they got along - but I would be willing to bet he is in mourning. We tend not to think that pets have emotions like humans, but they more than likely do - they just don't necessarily express them in the same ways.

Is there some special significance with this closet that he hides in? Does it have anything to do with him not getting some kind of attention from you that draws him there? Contemplate what this action from him might mean.

Love on him as much as possible and do things that mimic their relationship as much as is possible. I am guessing that he is looking to you to replace the loss he feels from Holly being gone. Let him have some more time to process his loss. We generally don't ask humans that lose a close loved one to move on in just a couple of months - maybe we shouldn't expect more from our pets. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
George loved Holly even if she hated him eheh
He always looked for her, tried to play with her and so on. They have been together since they were born, ten years ago.