Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey the little @@it... did not eat for the entire 8 hours I was gone! Once he knew I was home, he started eating, and cuddling...

I had one of those Halloween size candies last night. I guess I dropped the wrapper on the floor.. Yup, he woke me up with vomiting. He ate the empty candy wrapper. It was in his vomit... dam cat... and he kept me up all night, telling me he vomited!
Back to his old self..

Needless to say, not much sleep for me last night..

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey the little @@it... did not eat for the entire 8 hours I was gone! Once he knew I was home, he started eating, and cuddling...

I had one of those Halloween size candies last night. I guess I dropped the wrapper on the floor.. Yup, he woke me up with vomiting. He ate the empty candy wrapper. It was in his vomit... dam cat... and he kept me up all night, telling me he vomited!
Back to his old self..

Needless to say, not much sleep for me last night..
Little bugger!So glad hes back to himself- thsnk God!

Did you have a good time yesterday?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
It was a great time. But another woman, whom I really do not care for, hooked up with us... All 4 of us were not happy.. She had to 'discuss' some things (situation) with one particular person, so the 3 of us did our own thing.. We had a really good time. The best part was the ride home. I sat in the back of the bus with the other 2 women. We were taking pictures, and I was foto-bombing them, with silly faces. Honestly, this group makes me feel as if I living my second childhood. It finally feels good to 'belong'..
One of the woman had a "chat' with the one who hooked up with us. This woman has had issues with almost everyone in the building-- so nosey, so manipulative.. So we are now back to the 4... not 5... We are still friendly, but not 'friends'...After all, we have to live in the same building, so no sense holding a grudge.. but, just being aware and keeping a distance.

I will say, that by the time I went to bed, I had walked almost 8,000 steps.. My hip was really talking to me. And today we had cornhole.. I was the first game, with a guy who is really good at it.. I lost... But I gave him a good run for his money! I was down by 8 points, Made a comeback, and lost by only 1 point.. It was the longest game they have ever had in here.. Exhausted now...

Geoffrey did not eat all day!! Until I finally returned home for the day-- a couple of errands and coffee with my group.. He just nibbled a tiny bit of dry. Today is a Chlorambucil day.. Will give it when I log off. He wants cuddles.. and new food... Nope on the food. He can come over to me to cuddle. I am just too tired, to even go down to pick up supper.. I picked up a few slices of bakery pan pizza.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a great time. But another woman, whom I really do not care for, hooked up with us... All 4 of us were not happy.. She had to 'discuss' some things (situation) with one particular person, so the 3 of us did our own thing.. We had a really good time. The best part was the ride home. I sat in the back of the bus with the other 2 women. We were taking pictures, and I was foto-bombing them, with silly faces. Honestly, this group makes me feel as if I living my second childhood. It finally feels good to 'belong'..
One of the woman had a "chat' with the one who hooked up with us. This woman has had issues with almost everyone in the building-- so nosey, so manipulative.. So we are now back to the 4... not 5... We are still friendly, but not 'friends'...After all, we have to live in the same building, so no sense holding a grudge.. but, just being aware and keeping a distance.

I will say, that by the time I went to bed, I had walked almost 8,000 steps.. My hip was really talking to me. And today we had cornhole.. I was the first game, with a guy who is really good at it.. I lost... But I gave him a good run for his money! I was down by 8 points, Made a comeback, and lost by only 1 point.. It was the longest game they have ever had in here.. Exhausted now...

Geoffrey did not eat all day!! Until I finally returned home for the day-- a couple of errands and coffee with my group.. He just nibbled a tiny bit of dry. Today is a Chlorambucil day.. Will give it when I log off. He wants cuddles.. and new food... Nope on the food. He can come over to me to cuddle. I am just too tired, to even go down to pick up supper.. I picked up a few slices of bakery pan pizza.
Well, I'm glad part of it was fun, anyway. I had to look up "cornhole" :lol:
Hoping Geoffrey has an appetite today and that you feel better after some rest.
I'm on Day One of my big project and wouldn't you know, it rained. Usually I love and welcome the rain. Fortunately the contractors started on the front of the house outside the dining room, which is shielded by the verandah roof. It's stopped raining so they may be able to get more done elsewhere when they finish that today. 🤞

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Gee,that's just like Timmy- just won't eat if I'm not there..... Like theyre on strike! Poor babies,just want their Mommy's......

I'm really glad you had a good time(& your back down to 4,that 5th wheel sounds like drama- good to back away) I was hoping you had a day of just simple silly fun- not 8,000 steps though,lol

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey did not eat all day!! Until I finally returned home for the day
I'm still catching up on all of Geoffrey's story, but as I was looking at the latest posts in this thread, this line caught my eye.

For any other readers, my cat, Willy, has large-cell lymphoma and is currently responding well to treatment (one week into chemotherapy as of this post). I started my own thread like this one about his ongoing treatment (my thread title starts with "Willy might have cancer" because I started the thread prior to his diagnosis, and the title can't be changed for technical reasons).

Not trying to change the subject, but for any of you who follow artiemom artiemom 's thread about Geoffrey, I'd love to see you participate in my thread about Willy's large-cell lymphoma, as well.

Just wanted to say that, although I am new to this whole thing, I totally understand how the appetite thing is a constant source of worry and stress. And I am still new to this whole experience. Willy is eating well now, but I was stressed all the time over the last week.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still catching up on all of Geoffrey's story, but as I was looking at the latest posts in this thread, this line caught my eye.

For any other readers, my cat, Willy, has large-cell lymphoma and is currently responding well to treatment (one week into chemotherapy as of this post). I started my own thread like this one about his ongoing treatment (my thread title starts with "Willy might have cancer" because I started the thread prior to his diagnosis, and the title can't be changed for technical reasons).

Not trying to change the subject, but for any of you who follow artiemom artiemom 's thread about Geoffrey, I'd love to see you participate in my thread about Willy's large-cell lymphoma, as well.

Just wanted to say that, although I am new to this whole thing, I totally understand how the appetite thing is a constant source of worry and stress. And I am still new to this whole experience. Willy is eating well now, but I was stressed all the time over the last week.
The appetite thing with a cancer pet is really a constant source of worry. It really does help having people here who understand. :)

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The appetite thing with a cancer pet is really a constant source of worry. It really does help having people here who understand. :)
It brings me back to when I was a kid, and when I was sick, my mom was always trying to get me to eat.

Now, as I am a cat dad, I am basically understanding why my mom was obsessed with me eating.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Mirataz ointment, applied to the ears, really does help with the appetite. I am down to using either 1/4 -1/3 dose of it every other day-- the day he has his chemo capsule. I find the ointment is better for him than the pill. The pill has too many side effects for him--- meowing, pacing, etc.. and lasts too long.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mirataz ointment, applied to the ears, really does help with the appetite. I am down to using either 1/4 -1/3 dose of it every other day-- the day he has his chemo capsule. I find the ointment is better for him than the pill. The pill has too many side effects for him--- meowing, pacing, etc.. and lasts too long.
Willie had a tube of transdermal Mirataz too, and the application was so much easier for us both. His appetite really kind of waxed and waned, and I was worried a pill would create side effects that would put him off food. The transdermal option is such a nice one to have.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find the ointment is better for him than the pill. The pill has too many side effects for him--- meowing, pacing, etc.. and lasts too long.
His appetite really kind of waxed and waned, and I was worried a pill would create side effects that would put him off food.
I get that the transdermal ointment option is much easier to administer.

But without reading these posts, I would have assumed that the transdermal and oral versions were mostly the same. Can anyone elaborate more on side effects of the oral version? Of course, after writing this, I am going to do my own research.

I can pill Willy so I'm not worried about that when it's an occasional thing -- but pilling him every single day has had its challenges, so I'd rather not do that.

The shelf life of the ointment is what I am primarily concerned about. Willy is eating well right now, but that could change. If I have this $40-50 ointment that I don't need to use much, then have to throw away, I am just biting into my budget for his future chemo treatments

I didn't mean to start talking about my cat, Willy, so much in this thread that's not mine, but I saw these posts about mirtazapine pill side effects and had to ask. For anyone newly here, my own thread on my cat's large-cell lymphoma is here .

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But without reading these posts, I would have assumed that the transdermal and oral versions were mostly the same. Can anyone elaborate more on side effects of the oral version? Of course, after writing this, I am going to do my own research.

I can pill Willy so I'm not worried about that when it's an occasional thing -- but pilling him every single day has had its challenges, so I'd rather not do that.

The shelf life of the ointment is what I am primarily concerned about. Willy is eating well right now, but that could change. If I have this $40-50 ointment that I don't need to use much, then have to throw away, I am just biting into my budget for his future chemo treatments

I didn't mean to start talking about my cat, Willy, so much in this thread that's not mine, but I saw these posts about mirtazapine pill side effects and had to ask. For anyone newly here, my own thread on my cat's large-cell lymphoma is here .
Just a dumb question: can the ointment be refrigerated or frozen without any deleterious effects/loss in potency?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard that mirtazapine needs to be refrigerated. It's not in the safety sheet either. Perhaps a liquid suspension might need to be refrigerated. But the tablets and the ointment just need to be kept under 77 F. That's the only storage instructions.

Store under 25C (77F). Multi-use tube. Discard after thirty days from first use.
Source: Mirataz PI – Mirataz

That said, I am still using a tube from last year with great success on my Betty who needs the occasional touch-up to an intermittently weak appetite.

I would think refrigerated ointment would be uncomfortable to the cat and likely not as effective. The absorption will be likely be better at temperatures closer to body temperature even though you wouldn't store it that warm.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually Dechra customer service would give you the best info regarding testing & research regarding expiration date & extension info since they are the manufacturer....

Other than transdermal the next best would be disolvable quick release pill form rather than the slow release- opting for skin absorption is immediate and preferred as its more likely to lessen the risk of some probsble side effects which of course is vomiting when taking pill form.....pills are tolerated much better when taken with food so you can see the problem with that

Some cats will not have a problem tolerating pill form well ( as an appetite stimulant) but statistics will show thst is not majority..... you can get pdf from manufacturer to provide you with all the info about the drug....

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know if I should do this or not.. (jinx curse)... Time for an update.

I am still undecided about the echocardiogram. I think I want to see how the winter goes, before scheduling one. It is now down to a 6 week waiting period for an appointment.

Geoffrey had his "Gotcha/B-Day" on Saturday, November 4. I cuddled all day with him, gave him the new catnip pillow, and good part of a low sodium large can of tuna, with the juice.. He lapped up the juice-- did not eat much tuna.. Weird for him..Perhaps he was too stoned to really appreciate it? Who knows.. I think he is 9 years old. I adopted him 5 years ago. So, I think I have had him longer than his previous owner. He does not respond to his prior name of: Goofy. I tried calling him a couple of times--- no response, but he did respond to Geoffrey and Geoffy.

A couple days later, he got ahold of a Halloween tiny candy wrapper.. Did not realize it until he woke me up at 4 AM to tell me he vomited!
Yesterday was my B-day.. I was in and out all day. He was a good boy.. He did not yell at me when I returned home.
We cuddled all night... in recliner and bed; but that is not unusual for him.

I really do not know what or how he got into the habit of waking me up to tell me he pooped! I really wish he would stop it. The other day, it was at 3 AM !!!! Seriously.. He kept hounding me to get up.. Screaming in my EAR!! walking all over me.. Yelling at me. It was non-stop. Nothing that I said stopped him. Even ignoring him did not work; Geoffrey just tried a different ear, a stronger nudge..
Where did he get this?? It is crazy. I need my sleep.. That morning, I ended up rising at 5 AM... I was so exhausted.

He is a sweet boy.. more and more demanding. I do love him. Geoffrey is my baby.

Geoffrey has kind of voluntarily decided to cut back a bit on his food intake. Not enough to be concerned. He was getting kind of chunky, so it is good. I wonder if his teeth are bothering him. The IMVet said he had tartar.. but a dental?? at this point? He would definitely have to have an echo before it. He did have some resorptive lesions on his one and only dental, with 3 teeth removed. Then he got really sick.. so that has been on the back burner..

I am just trying to enjoy each and every day I have with my buddy. And be appreciative for having him in my life--- even if I am going broke with his care. He is my baby. Geoffrey really knows my feelings, so well.
Now that the weather has changed, I will be spending more time indoors.. so Geoffrey will get more of my company.. and be more demanding of cuddles..
G does not lie on the rug. He either goes into his carrier, or on the sofa, or on my lap (recliner).. Again, come 3pm or so, he is right there, looking for my lap or for me to stretch out so he can cuddle up next to my lower legs, using my ankle as a pillow.. Such a strange cat.. I really think he would have loved to have a companion.. He comes running over when he hears a kitty on TV, radio, or laptop..
But, I am not allowed another cat.. and I cannot afford another one. IMG_1490.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am still undecided about the echocardiogram. I think I want to see how the winter goes, before scheduling one. It is now down to a 6 week waiting period for an appointment.

Geoffrey had his "Gotcha/B-Day" on Saturday, November 4. I cuddled all day with him, gave him the new catnip pillow, and good part of a low sodium large can of tuna, with the juice.. He lapped up the juice-- did not eat much tuna.. Weird for him..Perhaps he was too stoned to really appreciate it? Who knows.. I think he is 9 years old. I adopted him 5 years ago. So, I think I have had him longer than his previous owner. He does not respond to his prior name of: Goofy. I tried calling him a couple of times--- no response, but he did respond to Geoffrey and Geoffy.

A couple days later, he got ahold of a Halloween tiny candy wrapper.. Did not realize it until he woke me up at 4 AM to tell me he vomited!
Yesterday was my B-day.. I was in and out all day. He was a good boy.. He did not yell at me when I returned home.

I really do not know what or how he got into the habit of waking me up to tell me he pooped! I really wish he would stop it. The other day, it was at 3 AM !!!! Seriously.. He kept hounding me to get up.. Screaming in my EAR!! walking all over me.. Yelling at me. It was non-stop. Nothing that I said stopped him. Even ignoring him did not work; Geoffrey just tried a different ear, a stronger nudge..
Where did he get this?? It is crazy. I need my sleep.. That morning, I ended up rising at 5 AM... I was so exhausted.

He is a sweet boy.. more and more demanding. I do love him. Geoffrey is my baby.

Geoffrey has kind of voluntarily decided to cut back a bit on his food intake. Not enough to be concerned. He was getting kind of chunky, so it is good. I wonder if his teeth are bothering him. The IMVet said he had tartar.. but a dental?? at this point? He would definitely have to have an echo before it. He did have some resorptive lesions on his one and only dental, with 3 teeth removed. Then he got really sick.. so that has been on the back burner..

I am just trying to enjoy each and every day I have with my buddy. And be appreciative for having him in my life--- even if I am going broke with his care. He is my baby. Geoffrey really knows my feelings, so well.
Now that the weather has changed, I will be spending more time indoors.. so Geoffrey will get more of my company.. and be more demanding of cuddles..
G does not lie on the rug. He either goes into his carrier, or on the sofa, or on my lap (recliner).. Again, come 3pm or so, he is right there, looking for my lap or for me to stretch out so he can cuddle up next to my lower legs, using my ankle as a pillow.. Such a strange cat.. I really think he would have loved to have a companion.. He comes running over when he hears a kitty on TV, radio, or laptop..
But, I am not allowed another cat.. and I cannot afford another one. View attachment 463179
Well, go with your intuition/instinct. I always try to trace everything back to its origin/beginning before proceeding. Based on what you've written, I would probably want to schedule that echo and think about a dental if it's plausible.
Happy belated birthday to you and Gotcha Day to Geoffrey!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

But, I am not allowed another cat.. and I cannot afford another one. View attachment 463179
He's such a beautiful,darling,adorable boy- G brings me back to the best memories of my entire life( he's your cuddle bug- like my Beloved Cheech was)

Oh Happy Happy Belated Birthday dear artiemom artiemom ..... I wish( pray) you & Geoffrey many many more happy,healthy birthdays with all of my heart❤

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy belated birthday artiemom artiemom ! And a happy belated Gotcha Day to my online purr-friend Geoffrey! :purr:

I didn't know Geoffrey's original name was Goofy. IMO it doesn't fit him nearly as well as Geoffrey. I have a cat named Goofy, and it fits him and his big silly owl eyes and slight overbite. Geoffrey seems more dignified than being named Goofy (aside from the 3AM poop announcements, that is!)