Gentle purr + meow

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i've been noticing recently that when i occasionally pet my 12 week old kitten, she purrs gently and then meows once. What does this mean? Is she fed up of the attention and want to be left alone, or is it a sign of some sort of appreciation.

daishain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally, if a cat has had too much in the way of attention, they'll communicate it via stiffness, tail motion, bristling, and/or simply leaving. Meowing can be ambiguous, but purring is almost always a sign of contentment

She's trying to tell you something, but it is unlikely that the message is 'I've had enough'. It may, for instance, be a case that the kitten has learned that a cute purr and meow will get more attention.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl meows a lot when she's snuggling with me. Its just her way of saying she's extra happy! I'm guessing that you're kitten's just going to grow up to be a very talkative girl! :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Normally, if a cat has had too much in the way of attention, they'll communicate it via stiffness, tail motion, bristling, and/or simply leaving. Meowing can be ambiguous, but purring is almost always a sign of contentment

She's trying to tell you something, but it is unlikely that the message is 'I've had enough'. It may, for instance, be a case that the kitten has learned that a cute purr and meow will get more attention.
My girl meows a lot when she's snuggling with me. Its just her way of saying she's extra happy! I'm guessing that you're kitten's just going to grow up to be a very talkative girl! 
 to both!  My guess is it's her way of communicating with you that she is happy!