Generic capstar on Amazon?

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get the generic Capstar (nitenpyram) and Program (lufenuron) from Amazon regularly - I just got a new shipment last week, and I was going to review the seller and I saw that the link didn't work - the listing had been totally removed.   After looking further, I see that there are NO listings for nitenpyram anymore?   Does anyone know anything about this - why did they all get removed?  You can only get name-brand Capstar and Program now - what happened?

If this turns out to be permanent, what is another good place to get these items online?  Is there a trusted site that you all use?   I just can't justify paying the $$ for the name brand stuff when the generics work just as well (I think)

Thanks!

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does this stuff work well? I have been trying to get rid of the fleas and nothing is working! I even got frontline and it worked for a while, then they came back! They are really bad this year, both my cat and me are being eaten alive!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Capstar works for 24 hours. Have you considered Revolution?

For the house, I recommend Precor 2000 wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions - it's just so weird that I've been buying the generic meds off Amazon for the past year (I have Amazon Prime) and it seems like just within the past week, all the generic meds from all the sellers have been removed from the site.   So something definitely happened, even though no official announcement was made about it......

I'm just not a fan of topicals (plus I don't trust myself to apply it right - cats' fur is thick and fuzzy lol) and we've had good results using Capstar in conjunction with Program.  I know Capstar alone isn't a good long-term solution, but if you throw the Program in with it, that keeps the fleas from being able to reproduce.   Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel those 2 meds are safer than a topical.   

I'm really bummed because I trusted Amazon's generics - I know I am probably being totally paranoid and psycho, but I have this fear that if I buy a generic product from a site I've never used before, what if I get a bum batch that doesn't work, or even worse, what if it's like poison or something (either through a mix-up or some crazy sadist out there).    These are the crazy thoughts that run through my mind 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi: I've been buying Nitenpyram from a company called Animal Lovers House LLC on Amazon since last year for my two dogs and a cat. I used to buy brand name flea control products but with three pets it got too expensive so I decided to try Nitenpyram. I tried a couple brands but I didn’t like them. Then I tried the Nitenpyram from Animal Lovers House LLC. They worked great and cost less than half what I was paying! The fleas just start to fall off dead. This product is easy to use because it comes in a capsule that I can open and mix with food, which is especially important for my cat. Last week, I went to place another order on Amazon and was shocked when I couldn't find Animal Lovers House LLC’s Nitenpyram products or any other Nitenpyram product. Fortunately, I was able to find them online at animallovershousellc.net. It looks like they have another .com site too but the .net is definitely easier to use.  I made my purchase directly from them and just like when I bought at Amazon, my purchase shipped the next day and arrived quickly, same packaging, same factory sealed vials as before. I definitely recommend purchasing from them.
YESS!!! Thank you!   That's the same seller I was getting it from on Amazon too!   Such a good deal - for a fraction of the price of 1 Capstar pack wirh 6 pills, you get 14 of their generics - and boy does it kill the fleas just the same!!     I will just use their website directly from now on.    I wonder why Amazon removed all the generics like this?  They've had hem for a really long time....

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too had purchased this and it worked wonders but I went to my old orders and hit the link and dead.  So, I went to the search and nothing.  I sent PetsNeedsMeds an email asking when, if ever, this will be sold on Amazon again and no reply since Nov 27.  They are still a seller listed but nothing is being sold by them on Amazon.  Other sellers are the same so I think Amazon squashed it.

I know my late wife and I used two different OTC behind the neck drops on my cats (was 3 back then) and 1 was fine, 1 was a little funny for a few hours, and my male cat when schizoid on us both times with two different products/ingredients.  He was like that for a day hiding behind the furniture and hissing at the very people he loved.  The wife said never ever again.

So, my wife passed away in Feb of 2013 and I had to move and this house had a horrible flea problem but I was not going to use the behind the neck stuff again (otc but I have no idea for a rx version but they are 1.5-2 per day per cat) and purchased the 2 in one and just the Capstar generic from a different company and 10 minutes late death to the fleas in droves.  They finally slept wonderfully while I did everything to wipe them out in the house and out.

In 2014 there were no issues but this summer (2015) they came back but not as bad and I needed the same medicine as I finally ran out of my just Capstar generic and no go.  Well, in July I lost my 10 yr old Himalayan to a very aggressive tumor and had to put her to sleep (still mad) so even with only 2 cats no revolution for me as it is too expensive and all vets demand a yearly checkup of 50-100 dollars each before they will sell you the medicine.  Thing is in my state there is no laws to force a vet to give a prescription so they refuse and online ordering can't get an okay from them so it is vet only.  6 tablets 119.50 (2 month supply for my three cats or 3 months for my current two fur babies).

As it stands now I have been doing everything I can do around the house, and yard, and still have fleas even after ACV spraying my cats (just caught one on my boy's face who escaped me).  I keep checking on Amazon but still no go and I don't think it will ever come back on Amazon.

amandakittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Working at various vets and seeing the ill effects of altered meds being used that were bought online makes me ask, why risk it? I think saving money isn't worth a dead cat. Just buy it at a reputable vet. 

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just like regular doctors vets (not all but more and more every day) are scum.  They are bought and paid for by the animal pharma companies just like most human doctors are today.

Working at various vets and seeing the ill effects of altered meds being used that were bought online makes me ask, why risk it? I think saving money isn't worth a dead cat. Just buy it at a reputable vet. 
Just like regular doctors vets (not all but more and more every day) are scum.  They are bought and paid for by the animal pharma companies just like most human doctors are today.  I have seen human doctors kill their patients (my grandmother and my wife) with their nonsense and I have seen the human doctors prescribe medicine without a care in the world then the human gets sick or almost dies and the doctor prescribes another drug to counteract the previous drug and the vicious cycle begins.  For my animals I have seen vets kill beloved pets because they push drugs that should never EVER be used on the animal but as one vet assistant told me they are there to make money.  I have to hand it to her she was being truthful but I never went back ESPECIALLY when the vet injected my cat with a known killer of a drug without any bloodwork or checks and without telling me of any of the possible effects from it.  Had my cat been allergic she would have died as it stays in their system for 2 weeks and slowly dissipates up to six months.  Only way to save the poor animals who are allergic (a good many) is to have a complete blood transfusion costing 3-10 THOUSAND dollars when it is all said and done.

Another example is how a certain flea medicine is sold here by all vets and the price is within a few pennies for every vet.  Yep, price fixed AND you look around the vet office and the same company that makes that medicine is all over the place because the vets are bought and paid for just like the human doctors.

Now in the older days vets did it because they loved the animals but those old vets are hard to find as they retired or have since passed away and it is a shame the day and age in which we live where money rules over any, and all, life.  So, take that attitude, and this goes for any one with that attitude, of the vet/doc is always the best and shovel it because at best it is antiquated, and/or naive, and at worse a shill trying to confuse issues so the money train doesn't dry up for their pharma bosses.

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Dec 4, 2015 they replied to me and they will not be selling anything again on Amazon.  It appears generic offerings of pet meds have been squashed by Amazon.

bigdoglittlecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too was wondering what happened to those Amazon  generic capstar companies. I purchase mine from theguardianpets.com, I bought several bottles from them on Amazon before amazon pulled the plug. They have four different meats to choose from, and my local pet store here in Florida has started carrying the Guardian Nitenpyram products. They're a little more expensive at retail. I bought a 16 count for $14.95 from the store but I needed them bad because of the recent warm spell. Its good to see that they didn't need Amazon to succeed. I definitely give them a huge thumbs up as my little guys eat their stuff up like its  a treat. Highly Recommend!   The also sell Lufenuron at the best prices Ive ever seen! I don't think they're allowed to market as being a flea killer as their products no longer state that on the label anywhere.

http://www.theguardianpets.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

lochness350

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BigDogLittleCat--

Do you purchase the Guardian One with both the Nitenpyram and Lufenuron in one gelcap?  I am intrigued and would like to give it a go since I have having terrible flea issues this year with my ferals.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Capsules...546218?hash=item2a67874aea:g:tt8AAOSwcL5XMrjg

Check with this seller and others on eBay.  Basically the big companies didn't like being undersold, so they contacted eBay and Amazon and asked them not to allow the selling of "flea kits," i.e. selling single vials of their flea product along with directions on how to split it up between animals.  Now that a lot of the established companies are making their own copies and calling them "generic Capstar" and "Generic Advantage," they have had to back down at least on eBay.  PetArmor is one of the big small companies (http://www.petarmor.com/).  On eBay it's a matter of packaging.  As long as the sellers have created professional looking packaging and don't say they are selling Advantage of Frontline or whatever, they can sell it now.  Still, those require you to buy several doses at once, and those of us who sold "flea kits" would be glad to sell you one vial of extra large dog Advantage and a syringe and bottle and instruction sheet on dosing by weight.  I used to have a lot of customers who happily paid me $18 for a kit, which would treat 10 cats, for $15-$18 each, including postage.  Those sales helped support my rescue but Bayer made eBay shut us small sellers down.  I'm pleased to see that at least some generics are out there now.

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just too afraid to buy meds off of eBay especially with all of the fake nonsense on there.  Doesn't matter how much buyer protection eBay has because once your loved one(s) is/are dead no buyers protection will ever bring them back.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you can still get generic from one of the smaller companies like PetArmor.  They aren't big Pharma, like Bayer and Pfizer and Novartis, who make the big name brands, but they are legitimate companies selling legitimate medicine, and they can be found in brick & mortar stores as well.  They have a $5 off coupon on their website you can use for any of their products.

http://www.petarmor.com/product_dogs/petarmor-fastcaps-nitenpyram-2/ 

1-800-petmeds.com sells PetArmor products, and it is even starting to make it's own generic of Frontline

Last edited:

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well, you can still get generic from one of the smaller companies like PetArmor.  They aren't big Pharma, like Bayer and Pfizer and Novartis, who make the big name brands, but they are legitimate companies selling legitimate medicine, and they can be found in brick & mortar stores as well.  They have a $5 off coupon on their website you can use for any of their products.

http://www.petarmor.com/product_dogs/petarmor-fastcaps-nitenpyram-2/ 

1-800-petmeds.com sells PetArmor products, and it is even starting to make it's own generic of Frontline
Yep, I know the brand but Frontline will not work in my area as the fleas are now resistant to it so all vets here push Revolution and it is just a matter of time before they become resistant to it too.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several people on here have had luck by switching back and forth between products -- seems to work for them.  Revolution is great if you can afford it AND if you don't have a cat that is sensitive to ivermectins.  Those cats get terrible neurological symptoms, not fatal, but shocking and very unpleasant.  I had one of those cats, so I would be worried about using it again.

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I am as I just had to take my cat to the vet for some gum issues that plague cats but that cat will go insane for about 20-24 hours if you put any anti flea medicine on his neck.  He will hide, and hiss at you and just act like a Bizarro version of himself so my late wife said never ever again for him.  Next time it might do some serious damage to him where as my two girls had no issues at the time.

What I do now is vacuum every 3 days and if my cat starts scratching a lot I spray him around the neck (if too much scratching I do his whole body) in an organic apple cider vinegar and water solution.  Immediately the scratching ceases and he can sleep peacefully.  So far, knock on wood, this has worked for two years here and no medicine has been needed.  If I find I have to have medicine I will vacuum and treat the carpet then give my two remaining fur babies a Capstar which none of them had any issues with a generic version I used but never again any behind the neck anti flea treatments.

john watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, this was the year as no matter how much I vacuumed, or salted, or did any of my other things I am now buying 6 Nitenpyram capsules and 6 Nitenpyram + Lufenuron 2 in 1 from Pets Need Meds for $30.50 incl shipping.  I figure the 2 in 1 will get them and if I see scratching before the end of a month I will give just a Nitenpyram to them.  Once the cold months get here and the furnace comes on the fleas are gone due to 10-25% humidity.

The only problem with the 2 in 1 is that I have to give 5ml of oil to them and they don't eat it so I will have to use a syringe else the Lufenuron just will not work.  Give the wet food then squirt the oil and squirt the capsule mixed with water because they will not eat it no matter what.

Rough year for all insects this year due to the weather.