Gave My Kitten Drontal Deworming Medicine But I Don't Think It Worked

Hider

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I recently used Drontal on my kitten. It was given to me by a professional who has been working with cats for years. She gave me a quarter of a tablet and said that would be enough to kill his tapeworms. I gave that to him on Saturday and now it's Wednesday but I don't know if it worked. The way I found out he had worms was how I saw little white maggot looking things coming out of him and it made my heart sink. I gave him the pill but he still has the little worms coming out of him and I'm so confused and worried. I'm really tight on money so I can't afford to take him to the vet anytime soon. If anyone knows how exactly this medication is meant to work and if this is normal or not please let me know.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One dose often doesn't work and especially not in 5 days;) Have patience. It may take 2 or more doses to fully kill the adult worms and break the worm life cycle. I'm not sure how often you can give Dontral, though. The package may have dosing info.

Are there any low cost vet clinics in the area? I personally would not give any medicine to a cat that has not been prescribed or recommended by a vet. Vet bills are a part of owning a cat so look into ways to afford care, whether it's by using pet insurance or setting aside money in a bank account or using Care Credit. There are more tips here: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life