gas troubles in 10 month old kitten

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!  Does anyone know what I can do to help get rid of the gas my 10 month old kitten, Mia has?  I have noticed that since I adopted her last Friday, she has had the worst farts in the world.  I have not changed her diet at all (she is eating Merrick Purrfect Bistro kitten dry food, and grain free canned cat food), so I don't know what would be causing it.

Does anyone know of any home remedies I can try, or something I can get at the pet store for kitty gas?

Jessie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she has had all her shots, been dewormed and has had a heartworm preventative.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read your other thread, did you say you have other kitties in the house? Are you absolutely positive that she's not getting into their food at all?

Some animals are just gassy, although sometimes it can signify a problem, most of the time it's something they ate. I have a kitty who suffers horrendous gas with even the slightest diet change and then as she got older started with bouts of diarrhea. We think it's a food intolerance and she's now doing much better on hypoallergenic food (hopefully she's just getting into something though!)

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have 2 cats, but I had to give Murray to a different family, because Angie didn't get along with him, and I recently had to put Angie down, due to a severe skin disease that was getting worse and there was no other prescription options we could try.

I only have Miss Mia now, the 10 month old kitten.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that she has a grain allergy?  She could also be allergic to the protein you are feeding.  Gas really isn't normal for cats.

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is it possible that she has a grain allergy?  She could also be allergic to the protein you are feeding.  Gas really isn't normal for cats 
I don't know.  Mia has been on a grain free cat food since she first started eating solids, according to the cat rescue I adopted her from last week.  All I know is that her stools smell horrific and she farts often, which is weird considering I am feeding her a premium cat food. I did give her some plain greek yogurt, on the advice of my vet, to get some probiotics in her system, but she only ate a teensy bit and left the rest in the bowl. 

I am strongly considering switching her from Merrick Purrfect Bistro to some other cat food.  Right now, I have been giving her the dry Merrick Purrfect Bistro kitten food and crumble some Stella & Chewy's freeze dried nuggets on top.  She also gets canned cat food for dinner everyday.

Would goats milk help?  I have some of that Honest Kitchen Pro Bloom goats milk supplement powder that I can mix up for her.

cheadle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried canned pumpkin? Goat milk is ok as a treat, not sure whether or not it would help the gas.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to go to the vet to be tested for harder to find parasites, like giardia and coccidia. That's my guess. It could also be a protein allergy. Adding in pumpkin and a probiotic could help some, but she should really be tested for parasites.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second that. A trip to the vet is definitely first, just to be sure it's not something else. Some kitties don't do well at all with grain free, for some it's the high protein content, others don't do well with some of the other fillers (pea's, garbonzo beans, potato etc). It could be the wet food too though, my girl did okay with fancy feast, Royal Canin, Hills and Wellness but every single time I gave her Dine she would get gas that could clear a room and anything with fish always sent her straight to the litter box.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gas is the number one sign of parasites.  I would get her to the vet for another fecal float and possibly further testing for other parasites. Due to the life cycle of parasites, it's very common to need multiple deworming treatments initially to rid the body of the parasite.  At 10 mos, I would also start weaning her off kitten food and start introducing a grain-free adult food.  You can mix the two together for a bit to ease the transition.