Game - I've done this; have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved once with being closer to a friend who had cancer as one of several reasons. (Luckily she made a full recovery and hasn't had another instance in over 10 years).

Have you learned to speak a new language as an adult?

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
No, but I've attempted it several times.  I always get lost with never having enough time, then having to backtrack.  I've tried Spanish and German.  I just cannot seem to devote time daily to it, and I think that is what it takes.

Have you ever tried a food item that sounded appalling, and discovered it to be delicious?  I have.  Since that first time I now will "try at least a bite" of almost anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, but I've attempted it several times.  I always get lost with never having enough time, then having to backtrack.  I've tried Spanish and German.  I just cannot seem to devote time daily to it, and I think that is what it takes.

Have you ever tried a food item that sounded appalling, and discovered it to be delicious?  I have.  Since that first time I now will "try at least a bite" of almost anything.
​Oh yes. Pickled beef tendon, Chinese style. So good. Chopped liver with green onions, Japanese style.

Have you ever eaten something you thought would be great, but fell far short of expectations? For me it was garlic ice cream . . . . (ack)

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes!  From sushi!  And other than a bite here and there, I haven't eaten any since :(   It was that bad to throw me off of it, and I loved it dearly.

Do you eat sushi?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do eat sushi, yum.

I figure that if food poisoning is gonna get you, not much you can do. I got sick from sliced deli turkey once. Ugh, that's not fun.

Do you eat rare beef?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
No

Have you ever bitten into a food expecting it was one thing and discovering it was something totally different?  Once, at a party,  I  bit into what I believed was a sweet confection that turned out to be sushi.  What a rude shock!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've bitten into a piece of chocolate, expecting a peanut center, only to find out it was fruit-filled. 
 That's just wrong in so many ways. (And now I've learned to look on the inside of the lid of the chocolate box to see what's what.)

Have you ever tasted your cat's liquid medicine?

I have, if it's a liquid med. I figure I won't give it to my cat and tell her that's it's "not that bad" if it's really horrible. When Banshee was taking Theophylline for asthma problems, I tasted it and it was kind of like an unsweetened maple syrup. And I told her, "OK, it's not sweet, but it's not a terrible medicine either. You can do this!" 
  She tried it, gagged, and meowed at me, "You lie, woman!" But I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Thankfully our vet started giving it to us in pill form.

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've bitten into a piece of chocolate, expecting a peanut center, only to find out it was fruit-filled. 
 That's just wrong in so many ways. (And now I've learned to look on the inside of the lid of the chocolate box to see what's what.)

Have you ever tasted your cat's liquid medicine?

I have, if it's a liquid med. I figure I won't give it to my cat and tell her that's it's "not that bad" if it's really horrible. When Banshee was taking Theophylline for asthma problems, I tasted it and it was kind of like an unsweetened maple syrup. And I told her, "OK, it's not sweet, but it's not a terrible medicine either. You can do this!" 
  She tried it, gagged, and meowed at me, "You lie, woman!" But I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Thankfully our vet started giving it to us in pill form.
​No, the last time I had to give a cat liquid meds it was in the ears for mites. No point in tasting that. . . .

Ever change an engine in a truck or car? I've done both. A long while back!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
No.  That can not have been easy!

I used to have a big collection of cacti and succulents.  Have you ever collected plants?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, yes. Many moons ago B.C. (Before Cats), our house was a greenhouse. There were plants and flowers all over the place. I've always dearly loved plants and had quite a varied collection. I had avocado trees growing, coffee trees, lantanas, not to mention all the standard houseplants found in most homes. I just love plants. And now, I have a bunch of them in my cube here at work. Spiders, different cacti, a pencil plant, a couple African violets, a peace lily that just finished blooming, a pathos that is trailing all over the outside of my cube wall in the hallway. A prayer plant. A palm tree that was my mother's. Oh, and my grandmother's Christmas cactus; we think it's between 60 and 70 years old. Honestly, if I kill that thing, she'll probably come back to haunt me!

Have you ever done any kind of craft-type activities? (For example, ceramics, macrame, etc.)

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
I can crochet and do macramé, but my favorite thing to do is painting, and I like acrylics and oil.  I'm not good at it and don't pretend to be, but I enjoy it thoroughly and it stops my mind for a while.  I just really don't have a good spot with good lighting in a room with enough space for me to set up all my painting crap anymore, so I haven't done it in a very long time.  I used to actually be good at drawing with pencils and charcoal, but somewhere along the line I feel that I lost the talent altogether.  Now I'm reduced to stick people.

Do you feel you have lost a talent or skill over the years?  I really do. Not just what I wrote above, but also musically.  I took many, many years of piano lessons and loved to play classical pieces, and I bet I couldn't play "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" right now if I had to.  But I bet I could play the opening of Fur Elise from pure muscle memory!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was quite the linguist, but having nobody to speak Latin & French with most of it is forgotten. Not the French so much, but definitely the Latin.

Have you ever been to a striptease club?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Yes.  Believe it or not, my father took my mother and me for reasons I still don't understand.  

Have you ever let a snake crawl over you?  I have - they are so beautiful.  

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes.  Believe it or not, my father took my mother and me for reasons I still don't understand.  

Have you ever let a snake crawl over you?  I have - they are so beautiful.  
​Yes, and I agree.

Ever keep a snake for a pet? I have, a couple times. Garter snakes in Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.