Gagging and losing his voice

Jesshughes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Ive noticed my male cat is losing his voice, now he can hardly meow and he is gagging but he can’t bring anything up. I took him to the Vets and they checked his bloods and all & it all came back clear..he is eating and drinking fine but I’m just worried whats up? If anyone has any advice on what this could be I would be much appreciate. Thank you?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I think this would require more in-depth testing including maybe x-rays, or something to try and see what is going on in his throat?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume they looked in his mouth and throat? How about an X-ray of those? The things I can think of are something fine stuck in his throat, having tonsillitis or a sore throat or he has a hairball he just hasn’t been able to cough up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesshughes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They thought it may be a fareball but I took him to the vets today for a second opinion, done more blood tests and it’s came back that he’s anemic and now there trying to rule out these 3 diseases he may have picked up so more tests tomorrow.

Jesshughes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His bloods have just came back today, been told he has a disease called FIV Feline Immunodeficiency Virus..no cure for it, she said Although the virus is slow-acting, his immune system is severely weakened once the disease takes hold so he may have years in him and now I have to keep him indoors.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you found out what was bothering him. Good on you for sticking with it until you got the answer. We have more than a few cat parents here with FIV cats, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Jesshughes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I keep him indoors, when he’s always been an outside cat. Trying to keep him indoors he crys none stop.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any calming products?

Here are some... You could also consider diffusers, --feliway or another brand.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

AnnaKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I keep him indoors, when he’s always been an outside cat. Trying to keep him indoors he crys none stop.
Daily exercise is important-Playing with interactive toys like feathered toys you can drag around the house for him to chase. It is helpful to get them tired out a few times a day to keep them from being restless to go out. Also there are games & balls that hide treats which are good to use when you are gone to keep him busy. All of my cats have been converted from outside strays to only inside. Training him to walk with a harness & leash could also be useful.

AnnaKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His bloods have just came back today, been told he has a disease called FIV Feline Immunodeficiency Virus..no cure for it, she said Although the virus is slow-acting, his immune system is severely weakened once the disease takes hold so he may have years in him and now I have to keep him indoors.
My 10 yo male cat with FIV & FHV also had gulping & voice loss just a few weeks ago. After x-ray & bloodwork didn’t show much they had to anesthetize him (he’s extra difficult😼) to find just a lot of stringy mucous in his throat. Short term steroids & antibiotics were given & now he’s on daily Singulair (asthma drug) which helps keep the mucous secretions under control. His voice returned & he is gulping much less. Let us know how it’s going with your kitty.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anna, you are a life-saver.
Same symthoms. Same diagnosis. (I just found out.) But the whole throat gulping/voice loss thing eluded me.
But since you mentioned your experience, I'm now more convinced than ever that mine needs antibiotics too.

Actually, since we are on the subject. I just don't understand the one thing, if I'm being honest. I suppose I can't give antibiotics to my cat yet, because I don't know which antibiotics, because we haven't identified THE bug... But we (vets and I) know my cat has bartonella - that one showed in the blood tests alright.
Since he's FIV, even if the bartonella is mild, shouldn't we start antibiotics anyways? My vets don't want to start treatment for some reason.
... I think they are trying to determine the use of the Interferon alone. But I don't want to ginea pig my cat. Should I demand they treat him for bartonella? I just keep subjecting my cat to blood test after blood test, and I'm just sure he needs antibiotics...

And sorry to invade your thread, Jess, I hope you don't mind; cat just got his diagnosis and I just started browsing through threads relating to FIV and found yours (and by the way, hi, I missed you guys -.-).

As for suggestions of my own, I've been giving mine seafood (mollusca and crustacea) and today I started with Interferon. I do feel it's doing him good.