Fvrcp And Rabies Vaccine - Reactions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well... they were extremely lethargic all day, and barely ate or drank, so I took them into the vet hospital this evening. Both were severely dehydrated, and hardly wanted to move at all :'(

After lots of diagnostic testing and examination, they administered a sub-q shot of fluid, a round of antibiotics, and recommended overnight hospitalization... unfortunately I don't have the $3000 that would take, so I opted for at-home treatment (at least for tonight). I was sent home with some especially nutritious food, and was told to start the deworming tonight. I will be making sure they get food and water every few hours (by syringe if they refuse to eat on their own) and keeping an eye on them both.

We've been home about an hour, and they've both eaten a couple spoonfuls and successfully gotten round one of deworming meds. Freddie is up and poking around/exploring a bit, but Volta (who was much more dehydrated) is just curled up and watching her sister rummage.

Keep your fingers crossed for us please?

Thank you for being there and hearing me out through this... it's a true lifesaver having a resource and community like this!

pawsandpurrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry these poor kittens are having a hard time with the vaccinations. Receiving so many (4in1 + rabies=5) is a big shock and overwhelm to a body, especially little ones. According to Dr. Ron Schultz, a vaccine immunologist pioneer and expert for the University of Wisconsin, School of Veterinary Medicine starting from way back in the 70s, veterinarians have little to no education on the effects of vaccines. He recommends rabies not before 4 mos of age. Dr. Karen Becker, holistic DVM recommends not before 6 mos of age, as do many natural health vets. From her site: "Vaccines are composed of modified live viruses or killed viruses and a number of toxic substances, mutated bacteria, immune irritants, foreign proteins, and chemical preservatives. All of these toxins are delivered by injection directly into the blood and lymph, bypassing the usual first line of defenses, including the skin, mucous membranes, saliva, and so forth. So not only is the virus in the vaccine unnatural, the way it enters a pet's body is also very unnatural.They also enter the body in an unnatural way (by injection) compared to real viruses. They bypass the body’s first lines of defense and are delivered directly to the blood and lymph systems." It's the preservatives mercury and aluminum that cause the reactions, not so much the mutated viruses, although those can trigger symptoms of the diseases themselves as the body sees it as an invader and tries to fight it off.

Rabies are required by law in many states and countries, but if a cat is to not be an outdoor cat, is not city licensed, won't be staying in an animal daycare, and unless an animal control officer sees cats in the window and the county has the monies for them to do site checks, who is to know we have rabies vaccinated our cats? Dr. Shultz is in Year 4 of a 7-year study to prove rabies does not need to be repeated after the first vaccine, and is working to prove one lasts a lifetime. It has been shown also that one vaccine of any of them lasts at least 7 years, possibly a lifetime. Holistic-based vets always recommend to not give all vaccines together, it's just too much for many pets. Yes, I know they already had their vaccines all together, I'm just sharing the information for anyone else for the future.

Vaccinations have as much as a 60% mark-up by clinics, and are a huge portion of a clinic's income. So even though in 2013, it was announced by the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) they only need be repeated every 3 years or even less frequently, vets continue to push and send the yearly reminders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry they became so ill. Dehydration is always the biggest fear to watch for in cats or kittens. You did the right thing in getting them to the vet right away.

You may want to re-think getting their boosters since they have had such a severe reaction. Will they be indoor-only cats?

I hope they continue to improve today.

Please keep us posted.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had severe reactions to vaccines with one of my girls. She spent 3 days in the ER vet. I now only do 1 shot at a time to be safe. A leaking anus is not a symptom I would put with a vaccine reaction though. Have they had a Tritrichamonas Feotus test? An infected cat can be leaky. They could have been asymptomatic until the stress of the trip to the vet.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had severe reactions to vaccines with one of my girls. She spent 3 days in the ER vet. I now only do 1 shot at a time to be safe. A leaking anus is not a symptom I would put with a vaccine reaction though. Have they had a Tritrichamonas Feotus test? An infected cat can be leaky. They could have been asymptomatic until the stress of the trip to the vet.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Their initial fecal tests came back negative, but I understand there are different shedding cycles, etc... the vet ran blood tests last night that didn't show any live parasites, but again, those things sure can hide... the first vet had suggested I hold off on the deworming in case the vaccines were causing the issues, but in hindsight I think you may be right about the stress bringing on symptoms of something that was already there. The vet last night said the same regarding a possible culprit! I'm happy I was able to administer round one of deworming last night, here's hoping that plus antibiotics will do the trick. Is the infection you mentioned able to be treated in this way? Would it have shown up in the bloodwork?

To update: it's night and day (between last night and today) ! They're playful and alert (Freddie is a bit more so than Volta, but given their specific dehydration levels it makes sense).

They've been eating well, both the water/food slurry of the Hill's Prescription A/D, plus a bit of tuna to coax them into eating more :) They haven't been too keen on drinking just water, but I'm optimistic that the slurry and water content of the food is getting them the base hydration they need. Thoughts on that?

Interestingly enough... they've been diarrhea-free since last night, but Volta doesn't seem to have made any bowel movements at all... I suppose I'll just have to be on the lookout and keep cheering her on. Hehe.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry they became so ill. Dehydration is always the biggest fear to watch for in cats or kittens. You did the right thing in getting them to the vet right away.

You may want to re-think getting their boosters since they have had such a severe reaction. Will they be indoor-only cats?

I hope they continue to improve today.

Please keep us posted.
They will be indoor only, and will be the only cats in the household. I did have another cat before them (we lost her in late March). Would there be any concern of contamination from my last cat's presence...? Any way they could become sick from something she may have carried? (Her death was due to heart disease and saddle thrombosis, not any infections)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your experience! Their initial fecal tests came back negative, but I understand there are different shedding cycles, etc... the vet ran blood tests last night that didn't show any live parasites, but again, those things sure can hide... the first vet had suggested I hold off on the deworming in case the vaccines were causing the issues, but in hindsight I think you may be right about the stress bringing on symptoms of something that was already there. The vet last night said the same regarding a possible culprit! I'm happy I was able to administer round one of deworming last night, here's hoping that plus antibiotics will do the trick. Is the infection you mentioned able to be treated in this way? Would it have shown up in the bloodwork?

To update: it's night and day (between last night and today) ! They're playful and alert (Freddie is a bit more so than Volta, but given their specific dehydration levels it makes sense).

They've been eating well, both the water/food slurry of the Hill's Prescription A/D, plus a bit of tuna to coax them into eating more :) They haven't been too keen on drinking just water, but I'm optimistic that the slurry and water content of the food is getting them the base hydration they need. Thoughts on that?

Interestingly enough... they've been diarrhea-free since last night, but Volta doesn't seem to have made any bowel movements at all... I suppose I'll just have to be on the lookout and keep cheering her on. Hehe.
Just an FYI: a regular fecal test will not detect TF. The test should be a PCR test, run by a qualified lab.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I believe the diarrhea was a reaction to the vaccines. Regardless, they are on an antibiotic and feeling better, which is what counts! :)

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohhh boy. I hate to report back with bad news, but it seems like they may not be out of the woods just yet...

After one week on metronidazole (last dose was Monday night/about 36 hrs ago), they *were* feeling great, poops were normal. Now this morning Volta has diarrhea again... she's made it to the box twice, but I'm afraid this is just the beginning.

Should they have been given a longer treatment with the antibiotics?

FYI, going to check in with the vet later, but I appreciate this forum and all the insight so much!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask for a round of Albon. It will tackle Coccidia and any bacteria in the gut.

Are you holding off on any further vaccines for now?

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally some answers! It's giardia. We've got a new, more aggressive deworming treatment, and will be picking up another round of targeted antibiotics tomorrow. Here's hoping we can kick this once and for all!

Breaking out the diluted bleach solution tonight...

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were you given panacur or metronidazole? Which antibiotic?

Giardia is a parasite, not a worm.

Thank goodness you have a diagnosis!
Yes! I misspoke - they were given another round of metronidazole, and a 5 day treatment of panacur (they referred to this as a "parasitic dewormer" ?)

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to report that the girls are officially in the clear! Monday's vet visit was a huge success; they're negative for giardia, and are finally at the right weight (3 lbs each). They also got their last round of rabies vaccines and their 2nd fvrcp (one more round to go) with no side effects at all.

Here they are curled up after a long day of toe-nibbling and knocking over plants

Attachments